PDA

View Full Version : What I don't understand about the tuning scene...

4dmin
02-14-2006, 02:49 PM
What I don't understand about the tuning scene... (poll coming)

IndianStig
02-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Why make a thread before the poll is ready? Fucker!! LOL

:lmfao: :lmfao:

4dmin
02-14-2006, 02:54 PM
brett (mods) you think of anything else add it to the poll :goodjob:

Brett
02-14-2006, 02:55 PM
I voted drifting and JDM, cause I cant see why spend $100+ for a clock in the car...LOL, and drifting is just burning up tires in a parking lot... ;)

AtifSajid
02-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I choose none of them, because everyone has there own likings. I like all of it. except ricer rides..

IndianStig
02-14-2006, 02:57 PM
-I dont get 26's

19-20 thats still not bad but the hell is up with a car that has to be RAISED to fit the rims.

-I do get the show cars, alot look really nice, but alot also look tacky as hell, stock looking or close is my prefrence

_Other: i dont get rice

#1Beaver
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
i dont like big wheels.........unless its on a truck,suv, or a chevy caprice, cutlass, ect.

4dmin
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
i voted everything to make it look full :D

never_finished
02-14-2006, 03:02 PM
what i don't understand is the people who are into one scene, and hate on all the others. It's all in the same interest....everyone does what they wanna do, you should have respect for the whole tuning scene...not just what your into

threehundred
02-14-2006, 03:02 PM
i can understand 26s, but only a on a truck/suv that can hold them. I don't understand 26s on a vehicle that cost $500 (caprices, cutlasses). That's like putting an olympic swimming pool behind a trailer.

threehundred
02-14-2006, 03:04 PM
what i don't understand is the people who are into one scene, and hate on all the others. It's all in the same interest....everyone does what they wanna do, you should have respect for the whole tuning scene...not just what your into

Word. Whether I like a certain type of car/scene doesn't mean I shouldn't understand why others like that trend. To each his own, especially considering everyone into autos is essentially "wasting" money in one way or another, whether it be on go-fast goodies or bodykits and paint.

4dmin
02-14-2006, 03:04 PM
lol everyone hatin on the big wheels... i rock my ghetto painted 19" w/ pride :D .... small wheels only look good on honduhs and thats b/c you can dump honduhs on coilovers and take up the wheel gap... dubs need big wide wheels :D

threehundred
02-14-2006, 03:06 PM
I can still remember when 19s were unheard of.

quickdodge®
02-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I voted on the NOT UNDERSTANDING BIG WHEELS. But that is only in certain instances.

20's and up look best on full-size SUVs, not anything else
18-19's look best on the full-size sedans(I don't like them at all)
15-17 look great on the compact cars
I like my 13-14" on Old school Impalas and other old school Chevys and Caddys and other old big cars

Later, QD.

Tank
02-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I voted drifting and JDM, cause I cant see why spend $100+ for a clock in the car...LOL, and drifting is just burning up tires in a parking lot... ;)
you would lol

BTEC
02-14-2006, 03:12 PM
i dnt understand show cars bc u spend g's to let a car sit and let somebody else tell you whehter or not they like ur car. ill be ready to kick somebodys ass if i got beat by a spray painted car or something stupid like that. lol!!!

Tank
02-14-2006, 03:16 PM
i dnt understand show cars bc u spend g's to let a car sit and let somebody else tell you whehter or not they like ur car. ill be ready to kick somebodys ass if i got beat by a spray painted car or something stupid like that. lol!!!
thats very true

#1Beaver
02-14-2006, 03:17 PM
good point :goodjob:

dereksi
02-14-2006, 03:19 PM
:goodjob: my thoughts exactly.

Tank
02-14-2006, 03:23 PM
i dont know dereksi i dont feel its really one scene the thing all scenes have in common is the ability to mod the car but based on hte individual use of the vehicle dictates which seen the person is into. a simple opinion i stay with a car is a tool for transportation meaning moving if i cant drive my car cause of a 5000K paint job then its ineffective to me and mind you i do have to vehicles with 3K plus paint jobs thats are not garaged.

threehundred
02-14-2006, 03:25 PM
people don't build show cars so that a judge can opinionate on the car. People build them so that they can show off their creative talents. They build them to their own liking. Unfortunately, the only competitive venue show-car builders have are car shows where judges who may or may not know what they are doing get to critique the cars. This is where you say, who cares what he thinks, maybe I win, maybe I lose, but my car is still tight and I still had fun at this show.

4dmin
02-14-2006, 03:26 PM
i think the show question is kinda funny b/c i know tons of guys w/ hot rods/choppers and people are like oh thats ok... :eek: WTF are you babbling about... i spend 70k on a hot rod its ok, spend 50k on a chopper its ok, buy an import spend 20k WTF are you doing jackass :2up:

Julio
02-14-2006, 03:48 PM
My JDM valve stem is the shit.. and it was 90 bucks. for ONE.

Fuck Gheydm

dereksi
02-14-2006, 03:54 PM
i dont know dereksi i dont feel its really one scene the thing all scenes have in common is the ability to mod the car but based on hte individual use of the vehicle dictates which seen the person is into. a simple opinion i stay with a car is a tool for transportation meaning moving if i cant drive my car cause of a 5000K paint job then its ineffective to me and mind you i do have to vehicles with 3K plus paint jobs thats are not garaged.
Very true,its just the guys who just totally hate on the show scene.Its like they like to go fast and thats cool. But its like they hate on "show" cars. I personally like my car to look good and be quick. My car reflects me so I want to it look good. My car isnt a show stopper but it looks good to me. I could give a fuck what a judge thinks.I dont understand a car that looks beat to shit but its fast. I dont hate on it though.

Tank
02-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Very true,its just the guys who just totally hate on the show scene.Its like they like to go fast and thats cool. But its like they hate on "show" cars. I personally like my car to look good and be quick. My car reflects me so I want to it look good. My car isnt a show stopper but it looks good to me. I could give a fuck what a judge thinks.I dont understand a car that looks beat to shit but its fast. I dont hate on it though.
show cars are not my cup ot tee but i dont totally hate on it

TheSnail
02-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I say carbon fiber. It goes with show though. I dont understand the point of a CF hood that takes off 10lbs, but then put a 80lb sub box in the trunk. (not including the .0003% that buy cf for their advantage)

thinkfast®
02-14-2006, 04:07 PM
I voted on the NOT UNDERSTANDING BIG WHEELS. But that is only in certain instances.

I like my 13-14" on Old school Impalas and other old school Chevys and Caddys and other old big cars

Later, QD.

DING DING DING WINNNNNAR!!

Tasuki_Civic
02-14-2006, 04:08 PM

Later, QD.

I LOVE BIG WHEELS ON ANY TRUCK. ITS SO FUCKIN SEXY.

dereksi
02-14-2006, 04:09 PM
That added alot

Brady
02-14-2006, 04:16 PM
sad thing is, i respect everyone for building what they do unless its just gawd awful tacky...but as far as every question/concern on that poll, i can understand why someone would want to build a show car, race car, drift car and all the above. I could go into detail about each but i don't see a point in going that far.

On a side note I'm just glad that there is that much variety for imports to bring to the table.

EJ25RUN
02-14-2006, 06:45 PM
i dont understand people who know nothing about ANY SCENE, go watch f&f

and think that they are cool because they drive to pep boys and bought an

apc spoiler, hideous bodykit, and other things that would make anyone else

sick. It's all about originality but these people are doing things they dont

even understand. ask most of them how an engine works and the

i'm the shit look turns into the I have no clue face.

The Ren
02-14-2006, 07:02 PM
I agree with the big rims things on cars, but my car would look stupid I THINK with any bigger rims.. but would also look stupid with 17-below rims as well. Everyone has something they are into whether it be show, drift, or drag.. but thats what makes every car different.. It's what you like not anyone else.

Hulud
02-14-2006, 07:07 PM
the people like JDMshiznit are going to be kicking themselves when in 5 years peopel are gonna say JDM is rice

TheSnail
02-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Rather then getting JDM parts, everyone can just go with Autometer, Sunpro and APC

Vteckidd
02-14-2006, 07:20 PM
the show scene is fine, i dont like it, and i agree with BTEC, but if thats what you like, then thats fine by me.

my reasons are that guys taht are TRULY inthe show scene, are hard to find, just like its hard to find REAL "go fast" people. IE

A civic with a unpainted body kit, and Motegi wheels is NOT a show car.
A civic with a GSR swap is not a drag car.

Ive seen dereks car and his brothers, and i have scene bretts car, and a couple of the others. they are all clean and tastefully done. they enjoy them, and drive them so i cant say they are wrong.

Just like Peters car, Bees car, Windsor, etc. they all have fast cars, and they enjoy them, so i respect that.

its the ricers in both categories that gives everyone else a bad name

threehundred
02-14-2006, 07:32 PM
my reasons are that guys taht are TRULY inthe show scene, are hard to find, just like its hard to find REAL "go fast" people. IE

A civic with a unpainted body kit, and Motegi wheels is NOT a show car.
A civic with a GSR swap is not a drag car.

its the ricers in both categories that gives everyone else a bad name

This is the best thing said yet..

HeLLo iM iZzY
02-14-2006, 07:35 PM

Yeah thats what I dont understand too..

Hulud
02-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Rather then getting JDM parts, everyone can just go with Autometer, Sunpro and APC
no im just saying that people seem way to bent out of shape over JDM or not

IronEagle
02-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Didn't pick one..

wes_297
02-14-2006, 11:18 PM
i get almost all of them. in moderation.

i dont get spending $70,000 on a $20,000 car just to have it ride on a traylor
adn i dont get having rims that are worth more than your car

but, as long as you like it and it makes you happy who cares. everyone has thier own opinionmof what looks good and what doesnt and whats rice and what isnt

CHADbee
02-14-2006, 11:19 PM
i'm don't get it when people spend all that fuckin $ on ctr seats or ctr brakes on the civic. why not buy sparco and brembro brakes for the same price but get better performance. there was a post in the car talk section asking wiether or not the ctr motor was worth it...fuck no. it so much $ cause it "jdm". just like people who buy itr swaps, there no way i'd buy that motor. why would'nt u buy a b18c1 and put skunk2 cams, head package and build the bottom end...much better motor and u would only come out like 200 bucks more than the itr but have much more power. i'm not saying i hate the jdm style...i do like it. i just don't get it when people buy parts that are stock rather that real performance parts and pay more!

JITB
02-15-2006, 06:10 AM
i still dont understand putting integra suspension on a civic...... when it was made for a INTEGRA

ALVIN
02-15-2006, 06:21 AM
I don't understand the whole car club thing...I was in one but it was ghey as hell and never did anything. I understand most of you will say cuz it people getting together with similar interests, but that is what Import Atlanta is for. lol just my 2 pennies.

Chuckster
02-15-2006, 06:33 AM
im not voting on this one cuz i have an answer for all. Its a competetion.

Decals are useally sponsers and they help me out online when i search for parts, lol.

Red
02-15-2006, 06:55 AM

Yeah I kinda agree.

RISKYB
02-15-2006, 07:36 AM
why question it

tony
02-15-2006, 08:04 AM

I felt that way after entering NOPI, it makes absolutely no sense for me personally since beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I paid $20k plus in modifications and they want to tell me what I can and cannot do with my car? sheiiiiittttt...

And that is the other thing, I understand major sponsorships.. but some sponsorships I just dont understand, what is the use of owning and paying for the car (especially an expensive one) if someone else dictates where you need to be and what you need to do? I'll be damned if I'm calling someone to explain why I want to spend time with my son instead of going to a car show..

1439/2000
02-15-2006, 08:59 AM
i voted jdm. cause mitsubishi imported a few just for me.

B16a2 Civic
02-15-2006, 09:20 AM
i cant vote

i like fast cars cause i had a somewhat fast car ( dodge stealth twin turbo)
i currently have a car built for show
i like watching cars drift
big wheels are fine by me
if you like jdm, thats you, but were not in japan
carbon fiber looks godo and is lighter, so theres nothin wrong with lookin good and having a purpose
decals are okay, if you ahve that product on your car or your representign something

lowjack
02-15-2006, 09:46 AM
My 2 things are explined below.

1. Having JDM parts can be cool however the why spend inflated amounts to have what is the norm overseas. I also believe that the ones out there that do the left to right hand drives are much more accepted than the folks putting on steering wheels or lights. It is much more unique to do something to a car that is "not normally" there and take time and effort to complete.

2. All bitching about the scene going to shit. With folks out there saying, Man the scene is nothing like it use to be." and doing nothing really to keep things going. There are fads every generation that fade away because the people who made the scene either burnout, get bored, or become discouraged while standing by letting it fade. The American muscle car scene has been strong for 6 decades and the reason why it will continue is because the folks in it make it happen. The Sport Compact scene should not be any different especially since it involves almost every car make on the planet. Where else can you go to a show, meet, or drift and see a Magnum sitting next to a Intergra, or a NSX sitting next to a Caviler? The verisitility of "OUR" scene is so great that the only way it becomes shit is by the folks allowing it to happen.

Everyone who has modded their car or kept it in prestine "clean" condition has a bit of pride in it. This even includes the ones that have made mods that others deem as "Rice", "Bling", or "Under Construction". At the end of the day it still is someone "trying" to make positive impact in the scene and in some respects should be commended. Sadly though, there are far to many jokes, and pokes at them which I am sure after so many makes them wonder why even try to improve or be different.

Most of the folks in "Our" scene are younger and don't have the $$ backing of the 50+ year old driving a 67 Firebird that is totally restored. So it take a little more time to make those mods happen.

There is no better feeling than watching some of the younger folks (4-15 yrs) walking up to cars at shows and being inspired by what they see in "Our" scene. For a great example, my daughter Olivia (Bug) was so taken by a Hot Pink VW at the Summer Elite Nationals, that is all she talked about for a week after the show, and still to this day keeps telling me that when she is 16 she want a car just like it, suicided doors and all. That is the impact this scene should be making. It is all up to us and I don't want to end up like some scene that can be compared to Disco or Hair Rock Bands from the 70's and 80's.

speedminded
02-15-2006, 09:51 AM
I probably have the oddest personal goal for my car, the cleanest track prepared street car..."show car" clean but without the "show car" styling/trends. Why? :dunno: Not exactly sure but any car looks good if it's clean....not just physically clean but clean lines too. Personally I think starting with the quality, reliability, & durability of OEM parts and working from there is the best look...may not be the cheapest or most exciting but it's a style that won't go out of style.

Some people say roll cages on a street car is ridiculous. Saying you are driving too hard if you need a cage and the disadvantages out weigh the advantages. Yes, cages are dangerous...could result in a serious injury in just a minor accident but it could also save your life in a major one too. I do alot of driving...interstate, city, mountains, etc. and i'm not ready to turn it into a 100% track car because I like driving it on the street....but whatever additions I do I make sure are SCCA legal. Even though it may not ever be driven competitively on the track I still do track days and sanctioned events.

It basically all comes down to competition...

Q: Show cars, why spend so much for plastic awards?
A: Competition, normally for those less mechanically inclined and generally into the looks more than the performance or handling aspect of a vehicle. It's exciting to mod and clean a car to compete against others...especially those nights leading up to a show then the anticipation at the show of how you will place...it's just not exactly for me.

Q: Drag cars, why spend so much to go 1/4?
A: Competition, thrill of those few seconds...i much rather prefer a road course but for those few seconds of launching and shifting through the gears competing against someone next to you can be just as exciting. Then you set personal goals to beat, perfecting the launch and timing the shifts to your torque curve...

Q: Drift cars, why spend so much on tires to burn them up?
A: Again competition, but as anything I like to get into the history of something...learning where and how it started, the people that started it, etc. Plus Americans love Japanese cars and always have since they were first imported...it may not be the fastest way around the track (well contested) but who doesn't love the smell of smoking tires and the thrill of getting a car loose? It's practically an art form, nearly a step above of finding the perfect apex by adding an extra step...doing it sideways yet still under control while trying to look good. It's addictive and exciting, everyone's wanted to throw a donut or two: whether it's in the snow on a 4-wheeler or in a parking lot in a car...this just takes that little thrill and turns it into something bigger. Sponsors, best deals, or used tires are the key to being able to drift without it hurting your pocket too much.

Q: why decals on cars?
A: As I mentioned yesterday, advertising for a company that's not giving you anything is ridiculous. I would never do that for a company that didn't give a good deal, reimburse, or something...just because the product may be higher quality why pay retail and then sport a sticker to further help their profits? It's like buying clothes that have a huge name printed across it, they should be paying you to wear it. What really gets to me is seeing a car with stickers knowing very well that product is not on there...as a joke, a car that may have cost a few hundred and just doing it for fun is one thing but rarely is that the case. Also people that get the cheapest part, say $129 tein springs with stock shocks and putting their stickers ALL over their car, lol. It's amusing.

Q: car clubs, what is the point?
A: Group mentality, you nearly always have someone that desires control over others so they create one. It's a learning experience for most, some are operated like a business giving more power to someone than next and you may gain tons of knowledge from it...someone creating a club is showing leadership skills that may prove to be something more beneficial down the road but it does not always lead to organization. I understand makes/model clubs: PCA, Ga. Z, SELOC, etc...but for the mispelled words (i remember seeing in g'ville "Twisted Diminsions" multiple times, lol...wtf is Diminsion?) It's cool and all to hang out with friends and make new ones but that's no reason do something because everyone else is doing it...rockin the same paint colors, same aftermarket products, etc. My impression, like the "secret" clubs in a treehouse as a kid was made to create a bond between some and exclude others. Making a name for yourself is one thing but my question is what are the benefits? For the people in clubs, what does "your" club promote or do? Is it just to gather together and be seperated from others or do you do charity functions, promote business', etc? What's the purpose?

Q: carbon fiber, is it that my lighter?
A: It all depends on the part it's replacing. As for my hood, i'm saving about 20lbs...it may not look the best, i would love to have one that fit better but my main concern was to shave some weight from a near torqueless car. I have no problems painting carbon fiber, if you're adding it just to show off (even though it looks good) then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. It's also more durable than fiberglass :)

Q: big wheels 19", 20", etc...?
A: I'll admit 19's on a larger sedan or higher end sportscars (some porsche's, lamborghini, bugatti, etc.) looks really good but it's not always practical. IMO 17" wheels on the average honda/acura is too big...it looks good but for everyday driving accidentally hitting a pot hole or road plate is disasterous...leading to bent & broken wheels and blistered tires. Anything larger is strictly for show, and the added "unsprung" weight has numerous disadvantages: gas mileage (even with the proper outside diameter, the weight kills gas mileage), loss of torque, initial wheel cost, tire cost, etc. It's all your personal preferance though and i think the Cutlass or Caprice with 24's or 26's is goofy looking...but apparently that's what the owner wants.

Q: JDM why not import a car?
A: It's something differant yet still has the OEM qualities. Other countries love to convert their Toyota Harriers into Lexus RX300's and Honda Integra's in Acura's. I went with the Honda badging because that is the roots of my car, it's manufactured by the Honda (or a subsidiary) and America is one of the few that pay extra for the added luxury of Acura. Same as for Lexus (Luxury EXport United States), and Infinity.

Importing a car for parts is the way to go (cheaper overall and you can sell what you don't use) but it can be difficult to make it registereable. It all comes down to being differant but like the girls with black clothes, makeup, & nails with pink hair...all trying so hard to be differant, to be/find "themselves", yet they all end up looking exactly the same :tongue:

DrivenMind
02-15-2006, 10:06 AM
drifting is just burning up tires in a parking lot... ;)

lol,

nah... there's a lot more going on than just destroying tires in a parking lot.

Slowboy
02-15-2006, 10:09 AM
i dont understand people who know nothing about ANY SCENE, go watch f&f

and think that they are cool because they drive to pep boys and bought an

apc spoiler, hideous bodykit, and other things that would make anyone else

sick. It's all about originality but these people are doing things they dont

even understand. ask most of them how an engine works and the

i'm the shit look turns into the I have no clue face.

Werd to that, But whats up with random cars that normally dont get fixed up to go fast, or swaped, or whatever you want to do with it, and pay 100 dollars for a muffler, on a altima, like the new ones, or just putting clear outs on your ride then thinking its bad ass, I cant stand shit like that.

I met this one kid, had a 4 door eg, put a exhuast tip on it and claims it 350WHP, I was like WOW thats tight man, there no way i could hold with that, And then was like yeah I had this wing put on to hold my back end down, at high speeds, i was like can you tell it works, "yeah the car starts tucking at 100 mph, :lmfao: damn that kid had me rolling, everytime he drives by my car he shoots revs, ahah

speedminded
02-15-2006, 10:30 AM
I met this one kid, had a 4 door eg, put a exhuast tip on it and claims it 350WHP, I was like WOW thats tight man, there no way i could hold with that, And then was like yeah I had this wing put on to hold my back end down, at high speeds, i was like can you tell it works, "yeah the car starts tucking at 100 mph, :lmfao: damn that kid had me rolling, everytime he drives by my car he shoots revs, ahahlol, got a kid like that in my neighborhood, it's quite embarassing...he can't wait to go to pepboys every paycheck to get something else for his car. If it's shiney or lights up in some way then he's gonna get it *sigh*

Crowml
02-22-2006, 08:09 AM
aluminum 2 ft tall wings. What, are you sponsored by gillette?

Flip
02-22-2006, 09:06 AM
I choose none of them, because everyone has there own likings. I like all of it. except ricer rides..

I second this! Especially the ricer part...

Sibious
02-22-2006, 12:21 PM
i can understand 26s, but only a on a truck/suv that can hold them. I don't understand 26s on a vehicle that cost $500 (caprices, cutlasses). That's like putting an olympic swimming pool behind a trailer.
so true

devinwebb907
02-22-2006, 03:15 PM
decals, car clubs and big wheels...why?

HiPSI
02-23-2006, 09:10 AM
and drifting is just burning up tires in a parking lot... ;)

not sure about the JDM thing... but the true answer to any of this is because it's FUN to you. i have fun working on my car (most of the time), it's like christmas every time a new piece shows up at my door... and more importantly i have great fun using my car for what cars were intended; driving it ;). others get giddy at the thought of owning a part that doesn't hit production models in the US, others like hanging around a show and bullshitting all day. the only real reason to be into any of this is because it's fun, because for pretty much everyone out there it damn sure isn't profitable ;).

Halfwit
02-23-2006, 09:12 AM
words of wisdom^^