PDA

View Full Version : Misc GA Tech HELP pro favor

IndianStig
02-13-2006, 10:54 AM
so what did it take for you guys to get in?
how long ago was it?
how is it there now, is it true about all the rumors of the week before finals being hell?

can you tell me anything else about the college?
interviews? essay? grades?

basically how did you get in.....?

thanks in advance

GTScoob
02-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Tech is a lot easier to get into than to stay in. I know a lot of kids that got turned down by UGA and were accepted here.

I started classes here in fall of 03 and I'm on the five year plan. I would really plan on doing five years because the four year plans for most of the majors require to you be taking 17 or 18 hours a semester.

The week before exams is "hell week" at most frats because they do their top secret shit. It's just "dead week" to the rest of us because teachers arent allowed to have any tests or require you to submit anything for a grade the week before exams.

I had HOPE for my first two years and lost it after last spring, something like 75% of people lose it after their first year and less than 10% keep it until they graduate.

Let me know if you've got any other Qs.

Tarzanman
02-13-2006, 11:44 AM
UGA and Tech are hard to get in for different reasons. With UGA, its the HOPE scholarship-having-georgia-high-school-seniors that you have to compete with (90% of them want to go to UGA) that make it tough (far easier to get in as an out-of-state student, I bet). With Tech (at least in the past), they have kept the admissions standards high to help combat freshman attrition and because they like the reputation/standing as a tough school.

As for the week before finals... it is called 'dead week'... but the amount of work you will have to do and the amount of finals you will have will completely depends on what classes you take and which professors teach them. If you are going into an engineering or science disclipline, then ALL your classes will have finals. The no-test-during-dead-week thing isn't a rule at all. I've had tests during dead week before, but thankfully, most professors don't do this (for varying reasons).

I have to agree with GTScoob. My mom once told me that college wasn't hard as long as you did the work and put in the time (she's a nurse). That's not completely accurate. Again, it depends on what you're studying... I can only speak for engineering... you WILL get challenged and you WILL have classes that are hard. Sometimes its the subject matter, sometimes its the professor, and sometimes its just the way that your grade is only 2 tests and a final.

The best skill you can have before getting to tech (besides a good basic knowledge of calculus... learning it there sucks ass), is the ability to effectively teach yourself things from notes, books and homework. The professors aren't mean, but they expect you to solve your own problems if you fall behind (they will help some, but they have other things they have to do).

Thankfully, Tech has free tutoring available for most of the core freshman classes. A guy named Jorge Cham (now teaching at Stanford) got me through Calculus 1. If you're an athlete, then there are even more tutors and resources available to you.

As for getting in - The essay portion of the application was added after I was already there. They don't have 'minimum requirements' per se... Tech bases their cut-offs on that year's average standardized testing scores and the statistics of their pool of applicants.

As for telling you more about the school... thats a really general question... what aspects? Academics? Life on campus? Life off campus? Housing? Extracurriculars? Stress level? What to do on the weekend? Inter-collegiate parties? The only universal at Tech is how difficult it is to get with the ladies. Even a very average girl has all sorts of guys giving them more-attention-than-normal. Walk around with a cute girl there for a day and count how many guys talk to her.... its very educational.

IndianStig
02-13-2006, 12:28 PM
+rep for both

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tarzanman again.

Darling Nikki
02-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I am transferring as soon as I am done with my Associates, I had a class mess me up so its taking a lil longer than I thought. It took me almost a year to hear back from GT. AFter I graduated from HS I got accepted to UGA, Southern, and West Georgia, but not GT on the first try. I hope to meet some of you when I attend the school.

AWD OWNZ U
02-17-2006, 10:51 AM
What are you planning on majoring in? I'm a grad student at tech, so I can't help you with admissions stuff, I might end up knowing some of your TAs though. ;)

ECE3040
02-18-2006, 01:26 AM
how is it there now, is it true about all the rumors of the week before finals being hell?

Not just the week before finals...

I feel like I'm in hell everyday.....

trini_gsr
02-18-2006, 10:00 AM
pretty good info so far, especially about the girl situation. multiply that by 10 if you happen to be black, lol. i used to hang out at the AUC (clark, spelman, morehouse, etc) where the guy/girl ratio is basically opposite what it is at Tech, to alleviate that problem. although i did meet my wife at Tech...

i graduated from Tech in electrical engineering a few years back...real good info in this thread. especially the part about being committed to your education. Tech is by no means 'easy'...there isn't nearly as much of the handholding that you might get at other institutions. but as long as you're serious about your studies and willing to put in the time and effort necessary...then you should be fine. I had a 30+ hour a week job for 90% of the time I was at Tech, and still got out with a 3.1 GPA. So it can be done. You can't half-ass it and expect to get out of there...at least not with a decent GPA anyhow.

I will say though...that the most valuable lesson I got from Tech was learning HOW to think. Tech teaches you how to learn and absorb complex subjects quickly and efficiently. In the job market, that's invaluable...and believe me you'll stand out from others as a result. Tech has it's reputation for a reason...

So good luck! And big up to all the other Techies on here ;)

man
02-22-2006, 10:14 PM
i'm planning on transferring nextyear, I have a 3.7 right now with a reasonable SAT: 1340

SniperJoe
02-24-2006, 06:47 AM
I started at Tech in the Fall of 01 and graduated almost a year ago in May. Tech is no joke, though. It is a tough school, but it can also be a lot of fun. If you get a chance, go study abroad while you are there. For someone like myself (who was an out of state student), it was actually cheaper to go abroad than it was to study at Tech and it was the trip of a lifetime. Imagine going on a 4 month trip around Europe with 50 of your closest friends.

And to mirror what the others are saying, the week before finals is indeed "dead week", but you'll generally find that you'll have big projects/presentations to turn in during that week, so it really isn't dead at all.

The attrition rate at Tech isn't a joke either. I can't even count how many people I saw that didn't make it. They aren't kidding when they say "Look to your left, look to your right, one of you three isn't going to be here at graduation." But there are a huge number of resources out there to help you out if you have any problems. It may seem like something that you would regret once you are there, but after you are out, it really becomes something you are proud of.

phongt12
02-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I applied to UGA, Auburn, and GT, but unfortunately, my minority status worked against me for GT. i had a 4.2 GPA and 1220 SAT, but they took my friend who's white with a 3.8 GPA 1220 SAT. i opted to go to UGA instead and i've enjoyed my stay here. i'm hoping to transfer to GT for my junior year. there's no use in transferring early since i can take all the classes here at UGA. people here say UGA is hard, but i think it's bearable. there are just too many frats and sororities who don't want to work hard. the "girl factor" at GT is also nonexistent, and i've come to terms with that for when i transfer. luckily, i don't have that problem here at UGA...

v3rd1g0
03-01-2006, 04:08 PM
screw tech, if you are gonna do engineering goto SPSU, smaller school but does have somewhat of a name in the industry. smaller classes, easier to keep hope, been here alsmot a year and no where near losing hope. teacher help you.

ins-tib-ility
03-02-2006, 12:12 AM
SPSU only offers engineering technology degrees . . . when it comes to finding a job, an engineering degree from Tech's going to have a lot more pull than an engineering technology degree from Poly.

Sure, Tech's a pain in the ass and a ton of work, but it's definitely worth it in the long run. I started in Fall 2001 . . . should be done in december.

v3rd1g0
03-02-2006, 11:24 AM
SPSU only offers engineering technology degrees . . . when it comes to finding a job, an engineering degree from Tech's going to have a lot more pull than an engineering technology degree from Poly.

Sure, Tech's a pain in the ass and a ton of work, but it's definitely worth it in the long run. I started in Fall 2001 . . . should be done in december.

which is why you co-op and get on site experience so when you look for a career they see you've had experience in that field as well as proper schooling ;-) that's what i'm doing for the most part. I'm an Information Technology major tho.

imbosile
03-02-2006, 11:51 AM
well i'm a senior in highschool and i just got accepted to tech for the 2006 Fall semester. I had a 1240 SAT, and a 92 average. beta club, key club, spanish club...the usual. I got accepted into the school of architecture, where i am currently signed up for the Building Construction area.

Does anyone here know anything about Building Construction?

Also, my roomate wants to try and get dorms at either Glenn or Towers, on east campus, would this be a good decision?

Thanks,
Jordan

GTScoob
03-02-2006, 11:57 AM
screw tech, if you are gonna do engineering goto SPSU, smaller school but does have somewhat of a name in the industry. smaller classes, easier to keep hope, been here alsmot a year and no where near losing hope. teacher help you.

Umm, whatever you say.

I know plenty of kids that have done 2 years at Southern Poly and then transferred to Tech just to get the Ga Tech name on a diploma. Thats a really easy way to keep Hope for a while and get all of the BS core classes out of the way.

Jordan, I've got a couple friends in BC. Most of them started out architorture
and got sick of 40+hrs a week of studio time. It's supposed to be a very good program but isnt the full time job that regular architecture is. My friends say that there's good money in the BC field too.

As far as housing I've lived on West campus my whole time here and now I'm moving off campus right across 10th street. The West dorms are newer and cleaner than the east dorms. Folk and Caldwell have both been renovated in my time at Tech and look really nice on the inside. Try to get into a co-ed dorm if you can!

imbosile
03-02-2006, 12:06 PM
wow, 40+ hours, thats crazy...so do they enjoy BC, and what sort of things do you learn about in BC?

SniperJoe
03-02-2006, 12:09 PM
I would also argue for West Campus. I lived there for all the years I went to Tech. I liked it because it was quieter and the residences are typically nicer. Plus, there are fewer bums on that side.

Tarzanman
08-27-2006, 08:38 AM
It depends on what you're into. If you're in to trying to hook up with freshman girls, then east campus is where 90% of them are, lol!. Traditional style dorms so people keep their doors open more and its easier to walk around and pop your head in a room and say 'hello'.

West campus does look nicer, and there are more people out & about since the athletic fields, sand volleyball courts and west campus store is there. You'll have a slightly longer walk to your classes, and a much longer walk to the bookstore.

The traditional style dorms on west campus are crappy compared to the ones on east campus (fulmer, folk, hefner, caldwell, and armstrong), but west has apt style and suite style dorms. The only suite style on east is harris and the only apt style on east is 4th street

GTScoob
08-27-2006, 03:28 PM
How's the new semester going?

I'm pretty happy with my schedule except its got me running back and forth from Smith to the IC all day long.