PDA

View Full Version : how is audi s4

HotHordas7
02-07-2006, 12:35 PM
I always admired the S4 and I think its really nice looking and very fast so I decided next year when I turn 21 I buy me one but people been telling me dont get it the car breaks alot nobody was specific but I dont belive this is this just bs or were they serious because I dont see any S4 on the street.

Four Door LS Vtec
02-07-2006, 12:39 PM
what exactly is the question here? i have one and know a few other people in the area with one.

if you plan on buying one put aside 1500-3000 for repairs.

it also depends A LOT on what year car you get and how many miles is on that particular car.

"older" S4's have a Bi-turbo V6 which isn't cheap to fix and newer S4's come with a 4.2 liter V8 which won't be cheap to fix if it breaks.

There are many items on these cars that are known problems and should be addressed as soon as possible. If you are serious about getting one i'll start listing these items.

HatchMan
02-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Right we don't see many S4s here in GA but I went to San Francisco and they were in every corners.....
I like S4s because they are cars that only "true" car lovers know about.....
Everybody knows about M3s and such but not every people know about the S4.
If you can afford one, go for it!

What kind of repairs are you talking about Ls Vtec?

Four Door LS Vtec
02-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I personally own a Stage 3 - B5 S4. This is the Bi-Turbo version.

Common problems with these cars are the F-hose, throttle body boot tearing, LCD display failing, intercoolers cracking (plastic endcaps), and the biggest item is the known turbo failures. Some of these problems were taken care of in later years.

Oil cooling, overheating, and electrical problems seem intermittent but still happen to quite a few of these cars (00-02.5).

You can make huge horsepower with these cars, but be prepared for stock turbo replacement at some point if it hasn't already been done.

I've always loved the fact that I rarely see an S4 on the road. It helps that only 13,557 were brought to the U.S. during the Bi-turbo years.

And the fact that not everyone and their brother knows what the potential of the car is great. its really the ultimate wolf in sheeps clothing.

4dmin
02-07-2006, 01:32 PM
S4 are great cars, obviously if you plan on buying one be able to afford to fix it... its like any other car if you buy a civic things can go wrong. The biggest problems i've seen w/ dubs are MAFs, hoses, misc electronics... but you want to make a nice luxury sleeper buy one ;)

StolenR (Hugo) here on IA has a nice one.

HotHordas7
02-07-2006, 01:39 PM
thanks for the info Ls Vtec so what year are you suggesting I should go with to avoid most of the problems and why is it all of these problems come up with this car

Four Door LS Vtec
02-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Ask yourself first how much you want to spend on the car itself...

You can pick up a nice B5 S4 2000-2002.5 for anywhere from 16k to 26k depending on mileage and what is done to the car. I would stay away from 2000's because that is the year with the most problems but if you know what you are doing and are willing to work on the car yourself that is where you can save money.

B6 and B7's are simply more exspensive because they are the newer models. I personally like the styling but find the tunablity of two turbos much more interesting that a naturally aspirated V8...sometimes.

My car is a 2000 model which went 102,000 miles on stock turbos and dynoed 260 h.p. and 326 ft./lbs of torque to the wheels the day before one of my turbos blew.
Turbo failure seems completely random however if you chip the car expect that day to come sooner than later.

HotHordas7
02-07-2006, 01:59 PM
so what you wrote above about the repairs is that all the issues you were talking about or is it just to name a few and how much would replacement turbos be and should I go with stock or aftermarket when replacing them and where would I find all the parts for it Im pretty sure the dealership would cahrge me an arm and a leg for the parts regardless what part it is right?

HotHordas7
02-07-2006, 02:01 PM
yeah I was going to chip the car and do exhaust on it immediately upond buying it guess I have to wait

Four Door LS Vtec
02-07-2006, 02:23 PM
What I wrote about above are some of the most common issues. A few others might be the wheel bearings, MAF sensor, O2 sensors, EGt sensors, and tie rod ends. These are the most common and don't always happen. I've had some of these things happen with the car I have.

Upgraded parts are not cheap, and neither are the stock parts for the most part. Check out www.ecstuning.com or www.awe-tuning.com for some pricing examples.

A simple example would be the turbos. To replace blown turbos with what came in the car would be at least $2000 in parts alone.

To replace blown turbos with the stock RS4 turbos is another story. The turbos alone are only $200 more than the stock turbos but the upgrades to make that upgrade worthwhile are going to cost you anywhere from $4000-$8000 when all said and done. Of course this is still parts only. Labor will really cost you an arm and a leg on these cars.

Exhaust and a chip are always a good place to start on these cars. Handling is something you might be interested in when you start going faster as well.

expect $600-$800 for a chip upgrade, anywhere from $600-$1200 for a cat back exhaust. Of course cat back doesn't include the downpipes which normally run aroudn $1400-$1700. or you can get piggie pipes for around $400 here www.vastperformance.com ... which reminds me motor mounts are a problem as well...

start to get the idea? :)

St0lenR
02-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Hey four door what kit do you have???

Four Door LS Vtec
02-07-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm Homebrew... if you know what I mean.

St0lenR
02-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm Homebrew... if you know what I mean.

Yes I know exactly what you mean...cool we should hook up sometime

Four Door LS Vtec
02-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I'll be in athens putting the car back together this weekend. I popped one of my turbos two weeks ago and finally have my parts delievered.

I'm still lacking my fueling setup currently...but will be piecing that together when the funds are available.

But i'm in the L'ville area most of the time. sounds good...We'll have to find each other sometime soon.

HotHordas7
02-07-2006, 03:37 PM
thanks a lot LS Vtec you told me a lot of useful things, a lot of things I wasnt aware of I really appreciate it man so basically I should first save a few grand for reapirs if they come up then buy the car well I better get to work then

Four Door LS Vtec
02-07-2006, 03:40 PM
not a problem.

read up as much as possible on a forum like www.audizone.com . you'll find everything you need to know there.

mbox
02-19-2006, 07:21 PM
I always admired the S4 and I think its really nice looking and very fast so I decided next year when I turn 21 I buy me one but people been telling me dont get it the car breaks alot nobody was specific but I dont belive this is this just bs or were they serious because I dont see any S4 on the street.

Four Door LS Vtec is not joking and these cars can definitely be money pits. The general rule of thumb is if you want to buy a S4, you better know how to wrench.

Here's a helpful link that should cover most everything you could ever want to know about S4's.

http://homepage.mac.com/edyjun1/S4/index.htm

s4driver1519
02-25-2006, 04:35 AM
hey stolenR also known as..disk jocky sanchez... we should meet up somtimes..i heard you gotta problem with silver s4's?... :D ... "but daaydee!"...lol..fucker :bow: