PDA

View Full Version : Misc any cattle farmers?

dartingd
02-01-2006, 07:25 PM
i've been thinking about starting small scale w/ cattle farming for a little while now and think i have sufficient land(about 5 acres) to get two calves and raise. Obviously I want to turn two into three, and so on, but i have no idea of what to do or anything...anyone have any advice?

speedminded
02-02-2006, 03:28 PM
i've been thinking about starting small scale w/ cattle farming for a little while now and think i have sufficient land(about 5 acres) to get two calves and raise. Obviously I want to turn two into three, and so on, but i have no idea of what to do or anything...anyone have any advice?What is the purpose? Do you want milk, raise them to sell for beef, just for a hobby, or to have a lifetime supply of shrooms?

dereksi
02-02-2006, 03:29 PM
God what a stupid ass thread

Bishop
02-02-2006, 03:33 PM
i've been thinking about starting small scale w/ cattle farming for a little while now and think i have sufficient land(about 5 acres) to get two calves and raise. Obviously I want to turn two into three, and so on, but i have no idea of what to do or anything...anyone have any advice?
buy them, light some candles, play some romantic music, and close the blinds.

speedminded
02-02-2006, 03:34 PM
God what a stupid ass threadHow much experience to have with farming? Have you or do you know anyone that had a farm as their source of income? ...leaving everything dependent on God to allow the proper weather for crops and health of the animals?

dereksi
02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
None and nope.

speedminded
02-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Regarding the cattle, do some research to see how much you have to spend to keep those 2 or 3 alive. Feed and hay everyday during the winter months, de-worming, vaccines, possible vet bills, etc. First you will have to have sufficient fencing: 4 wire barbed wire, 4 boarded fence, or electric. I fully respect anyone wanting to get into it but it's hard to encourage it when you know what's involved. The bright side is you should be able to write off your property on taxes as agricultural. If you seriously want to get into it then i can put you to work on one for a weekend or two or whatever and let you experience it first hand before you commit.

None and nope.I can't say i lived off farming bc my "mother" had a fulltime job as a source of income but do know families that did. I spend 15 years with 30 to 40 cows, 30+ acres of hay, 80+ acres of field corn, 5 acres of sweet corn (picked by hand only), etc...making a gross profit of maybe $2,000 per year. The net profit was high, but you have to spend a tremendous amount of money working your ass nearly 365 days a year just to break even.

dartingd
02-02-2006, 08:45 PM
thnx speed for all the great info...no experience, but am going to ask a friend if i can help him for a weekend to see what it's about..i just want to start with two so the bills are minimized...not sure if i want to dairy or beef yet, which i know i need to decide, but haven't yet...ga is a mainly calving state i believe...that really leaves me wondering what to do...

thinkfast®
02-02-2006, 11:50 PM
God what a stupid ass thread

damn son he is keepin it real right about now LIRL

+1 fool

good luck w/ the calfs