PDA

View Full Version : need help with prelude ignition

ludechopper
04-14-2005, 10:01 PM
i have a 2000 prelude with a jackson racing supercharger and have been having trouble with it starting. if its cold it starts fine and if i drive it it runs fine after it warms up if i cut it off it will start right back up but if it sits there for a few mins it will not start it just turns over i took the plugs out after it done it and they had gas on them so i dont think it is a fuel problem so i think it has to be a ignition problem but i dont know where to start and would hate to buy a new distributor if that is not what it is can anyone help me out
thanks
jacob

Casey
04-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Could be coil or igniter going out. With that setup I would look at going to a MSD or other ignition vs sticking with the stock set up.

civic95
04-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Sounds like the main relay. Do a search on honda-tech.com, and you'll find instructions on how to inspect, and fix yours.

Casey
04-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Sounds like the main relay. Do a search on honda-tech.com, and you'll find instructions on how to inspect, and fix yours.

highly unlikely that it is. the main relay issues have been resolved and have been since the mid/late 90s. Most prevalant issues are now the electrical side of the ignition switch(not the symptoms) and coil and ignitor(match the symptoms almost to a T)

ludechopper
04-17-2005, 08:15 PM
the ignitor? where and what is that? I have a 6al and blaster 2 coil do you know what the resistance should be on the blaster 2 coil? or is there another way to check the coil thanks

MC1
05-17-2005, 09:54 AM
first you need to buy a good manual for your year model car read it concentrate on the ignition chapter then buy a spark tester at any auto parts store or you can use a known good spark plug . when your acts up again pull off nbr. 1 plug wire and plug in your spark tester making sure the outer case of tester is grounded to sound grounding point then have someone start the car as normal while you watch your spark tester (don't touch it!) if you do not have spark at the tester than your problem is in the ignition circuit it could be a bad coil,ignitor hall effect switch (pickup) or No power getting to the distributor/ign. circuit your manual will have methods of testing all of these items.I belive advance Auto can test your ignitor .If you have spark at the tester and the car still does not start and run than your problem is some where else .i would check the compression of each cylinder to eliminated this as a cause.which is unlikely the problem just for the fact that it does run at times and not at others but this will give you a good base line . Next then you can read some more and trouble shoot from that point your manual will have a flow chart on what to check next follow it .a general rule is find what is working correctly and keep looking until you find the part or parts that are not operating correctly this will save you alot of money . because you will end up finding and replacing only the bad part instead of using the shotgun method of trouble shooting if you need any more help just ask -MC1

Kermit
05-19-2005, 05:13 PM
i have a 2000 prelude with a jackson racing supercharger and have been having trouble with it starting. if its cold it starts fine and if i drive it it runs fine after it warms up if i cut it off it will start right back up but if it sits there for a few mins it will not start it just turns over i took the plugs out after it done it and they had gas on them so i dont think it is a fuel problem so i think it has to be a ignition problem but i dont know where to start and would hate to buy a new distributor if that is not what it is can anyone help me out
thanks
jacob

Got periods?