PDA

View Full Version : B16 Internals

93dituneex
01-26-2006, 12:06 AM
I plan on getting a b16 here shortly and was wondering what all engine mods I could do that would do good in increasing hp but good for turbo too because I planned on going in the future. Would ITR cams fit? What all could I do: cams? rods? pistons? p&p? valvetrain?

Jdm94Coupe
01-26-2006, 07:54 AM
how far into the future do u plan to boost.....

IntegraXTR
01-26-2006, 12:02 PM
same question ^^^^, because if you're boostin I would not recommend ITR internals due to high compression, you want low compression for boosting and this wouldn't work too well with those pr3 pistons in there.

99SI
01-26-2006, 12:19 PM
^^^Cams don't have anything to do with compression and ITR pistons will actually lower compression in a B16.

93dituneex
01-26-2006, 08:38 PM
So itr cams and pistons are looking good in my book so far.....what else? What kind of rods, valvetrain, etc.? Mike at mainstream said that ABS IMs are ok and that he would throw one on when he did my swap for a low price. So what else could I do? Boosting would be like 6-7 months or more in the future by the way.

nofive-0
01-26-2006, 09:17 PM
You need to give more specific goals. Like how much power you want to make and how you want to use the car. Is it you DD.

If it is your DD I'd say go with some decent aftermarket pistons that stay around 9:1 to 10:1. Get rods. Ferrara valves and any decent set of springs with some nice retainers. The cams and the intake you mentioned, and a nice safe tune would be a very fun DD. But what do I know.

Vteckidd
01-26-2006, 10:12 PM
I would do ITR cams, cause you can use those in the future with boost. i would do a Intake manifold, cause you can use it when you go turbo.

I woldnt touch the internals, cause thats ALOT of money to sink into a motor and bumps it into another price range. I would do the swap, and wait to go turbo. if your plans are for 200-250whp turbo, a stock b16 can make that easily with one of our turbo kits.

if your goals are 300+ then you need to start looking at forged rods and pistons. Which is ALOT more money as i said. Porting and polishing a head is not worth it on a turbo car IMO, stock vtec heads can make 600whp. you dont want to use a cast piston (like an ITR) because its not worth it for boost. the ITR/GSR pistons have stronger ringlands, but in essence are the same flawed desgin as a OEM cast piston they crumble under detonation. if your gonna spend the time and money on internals, look for getting CP pistons and Eagle Rods.

93dituneex
01-27-2006, 02:34 AM
Hey Mike, I think you know I'm the Joe guy that has been calling you the past couple days about the auto. b16. So for right now all I need to do is maybe some itr cams and the ABS IM you suggested and then save for the 5 speed correct? Then maybe look into some CP pistons and Eagle rods. I plan on building a custom turbo, not a kit. I like being able to pick my parts and not buying a kit, lil too restrictive for my taste. What kind of valvetrain could I go with? I heard a couple responses but what would be your suggestions for the valvetrain? Right now I have the itr cams, ABS manifold, cp pistons, and the eagle rods picked out. Thinking about a vafc2 as well, but not totally decided on getting that right yet. I'd like to get into the 300+ hp range so suggestions to get there are more than welcomed. Thanks!

P.S. On getting parts for the manual swap, what car do I need to get the parts from and what all parts will I need to get so I can be buying them. www.sohfast.com has them. I was going to hook up a gsr trany to it for the longer gears so am i buying for example shift linkage and what not for the gsr or the 92-95 civc?

Vteckidd
01-27-2006, 10:18 AM
i thought it was the same guy! haha cool man.

heres what i would do:
1) ITR CAMS
2) AEBS Intake Manifold
3) 5 Speed Swap
4) Turbo Kit
5) Rod and pistons (dont have to do it right away)

Our turbo kits are CUSTOM, we select the turbo for your application, we use all brand new parts from big brand names like Turbonetics, Greddy, HKS, etc.

I would NOT get a VAFC, i would use Uberdata, we have tuned my 240whp all motor car with it, and 515whp turbo LSVTEC car. just to show you the "big" cars we have done with it. much better system than a VAFC.

I would call Hmotorsonline.com or NadAuto here in atlanta, and telll them you need everything to do a 5 speed swap minus the tranny. see how much you can round everything up for. or you can call NOPI and ppick up the Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder for like $80, linkage is $90 etc. i can help you with that when you get closer to wanting to do the 5 speed swap.

IntegraXTR
01-27-2006, 10:27 AM
^^^Cams don't have anything to do with compression and ITR pistons will actually lower compression in a B16.

sorry I wasn't talking about the cams, I thought he wanted pistons but I didn't know it would lower compression.

speedminded
01-27-2006, 11:49 AM
sorry I wasn't talking about the cams, I thought he wanted pistons but I didn't know it would lower compression...they're flat on top, like mine...i wanna go with the CTR or an aftermarket forged dome top.

IntegraXTR
01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Forge :goodjob:

93dituneex
01-29-2006, 11:32 AM
i thought it was the same guy! haha cool man.

heres what i would do:
1) ITR CAMS
2) AEBS Intake Manifold
3) 5 Speed Swap
4) Turbo Kit
5) Rod and pistons (dont have to do it right away)

Our turbo kits are CUSTOM, we select the turbo for your application, we use all brand new parts from big brand names like Turbonetics, Greddy, HKS, etc.

I would NOT get a VAFC, i would use Uberdata, we have tuned my 240whp all motor car with it, and 515whp turbo LSVTEC car. just to show you the "big" cars we have done with it. much better system than a VAFC.

I would call Hmotorsonline.com or NadAuto here in atlanta, and telll them you need everything to do a 5 speed swap minus the tranny. see how much you can round everything up for. or you can call NOPI and ppick up the Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder for like $80, linkage is $90 etc. i can help you with that when you get closer to wanting to do the 5 speed swap.
Sounds good then, I'll finish gathering the money up for the swap and IM and then buy some cams. Then start buying my stuff to do the 5 speed swap. How much do your turbo kits cost? One of the reasons I was wanting to piece it together on my own cause it would be easier and more affordable by buying it part by part than putting out 3 grand at once ya know?

93dituneex
01-31-2006, 06:34 PM
Hey Mike, whats the engine code on that engine yall putting in my car?

Vteckidd
01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
B16A OBD1 SIRii

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/images/b16sir2chgovr.jpg

93dituneex
01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Nice, what do you think yall would charge if I gave yall the itr cams, cp pistons, eagle rods, and some arp head studs to install when yall are putting the engine in?

Vteckidd
01-31-2006, 07:09 PM
alot more, lol, thats a full motor build

93dituneex
01-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Yea I figured it would be a good bit more. Oh well, I'll deal with that later. If I'm trying to reach the 350-375 range in hp, think the things I listed will get me there safely? The b16 yall are putting in with ITR cams, AEBS intake manifold, CP pistons, Eagle rods, ARP head studs, with the 5 speed and boosted?

Vteckidd
01-31-2006, 07:21 PM
with rods and pistons, an a proper turbo, yes, no problem

93dituneex
01-31-2006, 07:25 PM
good, now i can stop bugging you til i get my check in for the swap, lol

93dituneex
02-01-2006, 01:07 AM
Hey Mike....I have $3000 coming to me in the mail. Is that enough to get a 5 speed b16 put in my car with the 5 speed conversion? If not, how much more will I need? I found the parts I need to do it: hydro lines $60, mc $60, sc $30, shift linkage $75, pedal assembly $65. All I would need is the engine, tranny, flywheel, flywheel bolts, and clutch if I was told right. Will $3000 be enough and if not how much more will I need? I'm trying to go ahead and do this while I have another vehicle to drive instead fo waiting til later when I won't. Sorry for the bother bro, just curious. If calling makes it easier call me. 404 732 5680