PDA

View Full Version : Misc HELP!! Military advice for graduating high school student!!

Jtultra
04-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey guys, Well... as the title says I need some advice. I'm graduating high school soon and I was looking at a Southern Poly and then GA Tech for mechanical engineering, BUT The Navy had recently called me with an offer about their advance programs. I didn't think I could join because I have asthma, but I also scored a 94 on the ASVAB so he said I can slide with the asthma.

I don't think I'm ready for College right now, I just want to get it over with and My parents say that if I want to get it over with than I shouldn't be going, I should be going to college because I want an education :jerkit: ...but then again that makes sense.

Well so now I'm looking into the Navy and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me TRUTHFULLY what they can offer me, is it as bad as some people say it it is, would I overall be much better off doing this than just going to college. Thanks!!

Julio
04-13-2005, 11:33 PM
this might get ugly

Eli
04-13-2005, 11:45 PM
honestly, i was unsure of coming to college myself last year and let me tell you, the best time of my life! I was contemplating just working full time, possibly taking night classes, etc, but my mom convinced me to get out, move away to college. Best decision I have made, college isnt about the school work cuse honestly, its just bullshit, but college is about finding yourself, having fun, and figuring out a lot of stuff.

Get out, goto college, and party your fucking ass off.

Julio
04-13-2005, 11:48 PM
honestly, i was unsure of coming to college myself last year and let me tell you, the best time of my life! I was contemplating just working full time, possibly taking night classes, etc, but my mom convinced me to get out, move away to college. Best decision I have made, college isnt about the school work cuse honestly, its just bullshit, but college is about finding yourself, having fun, and figuring out a lot of stuff.

Get out, goto college, and party your fucking ass off.

thats weird advice, but it makes sense, get it... lol

Eli
04-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Why is that weird advice Julio?

HEATON
04-14-2005, 02:43 AM
This is just something of personal choice. Theres nothing that noone can tell you that should influence you either way. They both have their ups and downs, its jus matters what you want in and out of life. I went to a college prep school so I wanted to get out of school for a while and joined the USAF right after graduating. The one thing people dont tell you is that even after you enlist or commision (which if your heart is set on a education is a very wise choice) your gonn geta education, it may be on the job your doing but it still is a very detailed learning. I went to tech school for 7 weeks (my AFAC is one of the shortest tech schools there is, some is up to 2 years) and even after finishing that i am going through CDC's ( volumes and volumes of books pertaining to my job which i am tested over much like a end of quarter college test). BUt like i said the choice is yours and its how you feel. I had a great love for the US and wanted to see the world, so living in Germany serving is my dream forfilled. The things i can tell you that should "make a dent" is whichever you choose be faithful to that, dont let ya mind wonder about the other bc then your just waisting your time, and ALWAYS talk to more then one recruiter, and dont let them promise you anything. Just bc you scored high doesnt mean you can get in with certain health problems. The people at MEPS ( where you go to sign up and get physical) dont care nor know what you scored, they are trained liscenced professional doctors. If there is something wrong with you they will report it, I had high blood pressure and had to go back for the 2nd time so i could get in with a waiver. BUT if they cant tell you have it DONT tell them (I also have GERD.."acid reflux disease") They didnt know but i hadd put up with my side effects during BMT ("bootcamp" and there you will not be helped just bc you have asthma) So once again its up to you and hwo do you wann live. Either way your gonn figure out "who you are in life". Good luck either way!!!

civic95
04-14-2005, 07:58 AM
Either one will be good for you. They both require self discipline. One thing I would advise against is racking up loans for school. If you can't pay for it in cash or scholarships, you may want to check out your other options.

chrisdavis
04-14-2005, 08:10 AM
I feel that putting off school is one of the worst decisions I ever made. I was going to take a year off and it turned into seven

Brandon C
04-14-2005, 08:16 AM
I went into the Air National Guard strait out of High School and had regrets for not doing Active DUty Air Force as My tech school was 4 1/2 months I got a taste for active duty life and Loved it.
My only advice is that recruters bend the truth as far as promising Jobs I believe the only branch that gets close is Air Force and they might take you w/ your asthma. I just say if you want to Join if Not go to school. I dont know what to say But I know that everybody I met that was Navy hated it but AIr Force People always love it..Shit the Air Force HAs air conditioned tents..

kilpatty43
04-14-2005, 08:35 AM
you have to do what you think is best for you...i wanted to join the navy right out of h.s. too and i tried but i couldnt get in...i scored like a 102 i think on my asvab but i couldnt pass the physical...the navy can offer you training that you cant get anywhere else and if mechanical engineering is what you would like to do then go into that field in the navy...id go talk to a recruiter about it and they can lay it all out for you...but the military can give you money for college while youre in and once youre out...its not a bad deal...

Macro
04-14-2005, 08:38 AM
dude, look into the USMC...united stated marine corps....you'll have tons of fun, really strict training and strict rules, prepares you for life...

Bajjani
04-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Here, look at the blunt truth. My brother joined the Marines right out of high school and has regretted it ever since. He gradutated in 99' and went reserve and we thought he had no worries about getting sent over. Well, he was sent to Iraq last year, and still to this day he won't even talk about it and hes been different since. If you want to go over and serve for your country then that is one reason to join but if you want to sign up because you don't know what else to do, you're making a mistake. Everyone has different takes on the military but you have to have your own reasons. College isn't nearly as bad as high school either. Classes aren't all bunched together and its a lot more real world. I hate where I'm at but I don't mind going to college or classes, just being in Kentucky. I'd say go ahead and sign up for school, you plan on going anyway, why not get it started, even if you just take a light load.

Also, when my brother got pulled out of school to be sent over, all the people he was going to college with advanced a year ahead of him and he had to learn with an entire new class. Granted most colleges, bigger ones at least, you don't go to class with the same people, but he did, especially in classes specifically for your major. It depressed the hell out of him.

NOTE:: I'm not blasting the military just saying join for the RIGHT reasons

BOOSTEDeg
04-14-2005, 09:17 AM
You could be like me and not be able to afford college, so you go into the military. I have been in the Army now for almost 6 years. Yes, there are ups and downs to all things. Any military service is a benefit, I think. I am not a recruiter, so I'll tell you this. If I had the opportunity I would have went to school. Although, now that I am in tuition is free(while active). I am happy with my job. I am getting ready to go into another job, which will set me up for big money on the outside. Which is also good. I also get money getting out with the college fund/GI bill. The military is not a bad choice. It's for some people and not for others though. I have been around the world and back again. I LOVE IT. How many people can say they've celebrated New Years in Germany, Amsterdam, Paris, Iraq(LOL), and Columbia. It is fun, but I can't speak for all.

Bajjani
04-14-2005, 09:50 AM
I can't handle someone up in my face and being someones bitch while he goes off on a power trip for new recruits...I got offered to go to the Naval academy and already be..fock some rank, but yea, I woulda out ranked my brother, I would have made him salute like a biaatch...lol...but i was like I'm not military man...

Jtultra
04-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I have till august to make my decision, so I'll continue to research and think about it

toyoracr86
04-14-2005, 11:35 PM
yo tran man this is jimmy. well i dont think u should go cuz ur my boi and shit. but its ur choice and watever the choice u make its kool wit me but u better tell me in advance fool. duece duece

Macro
04-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Look, i went to college hated it, every minute, i'm joining the Marines reserves pretty soon, Taking some PLC classes i'll be an officer in no time, good $$$ and benefits, but you should take sometime and really think about what you want to do. I say reserves for the marines, get an good training and still be able to live a civilan life. One weekend every month and two weeks in the summer...nothing better then that..

AznTraitor
04-15-2005, 09:01 AM
I'll keep this short.....but in 100% all honesty, you have to want to do it. There should be no reason of doubt, ie asking everyone what they think YOU should do. Dont listen to Recruiters....they will tell you anything to get you to sign....look at Bajjini's case....which has happened to MANY. They sign up get the signing bonus and college fund, and told that they are going RESERVE, and it's not a too active unit. That's bs, because there's more reservist than actual full active duty military, so that's why they got sent.

What I did is, I signed a ROTC contract....which basically lets me finish college, and they pay for all my schooling, BUT I do owe them a hefty obligation. 8 years....4 years spent in a non deployable unit while in school, and the last 4 are all active duty, so pretty much when I graduate I'm gonna be shipped out. I'm trying to get a Ranger contract, because Ranger's only have 90 day rotations instead of damn near a full year as a enlisted.

I'm not gonna tell you what to do or give you some misguided information....but no one can tell you what to do....sit there and think about where you want to be in the next 5 years.....

BOOSTEDeg
04-15-2005, 11:03 AM
........and oh yeah GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!!! Do not take ANYBODY'S word for ANYTHING!!!!

JagerGirl
04-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Why dont you do the ROTC at GA tech? They offer to pay for just about everything... That's what I would consider..