PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods LS vtec swap...

Spooned LS
01-24-2006, 08:54 AM
I have a 1997 acura integra LS but really want vtec so i wanted to put a B16 head on it and was wondering if it just bolts right up or is there anything i have to change?

BTEC
01-24-2006, 09:03 AM
doesnt bolt right up. Ull have to get a Golden Eagle ls/vtec swap kit or take it to a shop that knows what the hell they are doing. MSPi had done quite a few of them and deal with all kinds of swapped hondas. If i were u id talk to Mike Jawnz (vteckidd).

IntegraXTR
01-24-2006, 09:38 AM
yeh, you can either buy the conversion kit, or make one yourself, but recommended that you take it to a shop, because it will have to be tapped for an oil return line.

punkr6
02-08-2006, 09:13 PM
i can do it for you, pm if intrested

BOOSTED96EK
02-09-2006, 12:37 PM
yeah very easy swap over to do your self but if you do not have the mechanical skills let a shop do it for you.It is easier to buy a oil feed kit so you dont have to hunt down the right thread fittings and have lines made. but after the conversion you will definetly enjoy it. especially if it was on 9psi's. i have for so far in the last four cars i've had.never had a problem out of any one of them

Vteckidd
02-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Things you need:
Vtec Distributor
Vtec ECU
VTEC head
LSVTEC conversion kit, i reccomend the Golden Eagle one, it comes with all the lines, headgasket, dowel pins etc

Search Honda-Tech.com for a "how to"

mahdsports
02-10-2006, 10:18 AM
we can help you with that. most people plug off the oil orifice, but we weld it and shave the head. that way we know it wont leak oil. the dewel pins also have to be moved to the back of the head. we have the golden eagle lsvtec kit instock for $90. let me know if we can help in any way.

arash
mahdavi motorsports
770-923-1550

Vteckidd
02-10-2006, 10:20 AM
$90 doesnt include the headgasket does it? .

so you weld the block rather than plug it? interesting..........seems like a lot of unnesecary work, have you had a block "leak" before or something? or a head?

The GE kit allowes you to run the external line off the block to the back of the head before the solenoid. The ls blocks dont have an orifice so theres no plugging needed. the head has the 1/8in orifice that the GE kit comes with a plug for. welding that orifice on the head kinda trashes the head for further use, if the customer decides to switch to a vtec block later on, unless you get it retapped.

mahdsports
02-10-2006, 10:23 AM
that does not include the head gasket. yes, we have seen heads leak from just pluging it. that is why we just weld it and shave the head. that way we know it wont leak.

mahdsports
02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
you dont plug the block, you plug the head.

mahdsports
02-10-2006, 10:45 AM
also please remember to use a LS head gasket. you will also need to use a vtec water pump and timing belt. vtec manifolds also. you can do the vtec engagement two ways. you can either get a factory computer or use a apexi vafc to engage vtec.

punkr6
02-10-2006, 10:50 AM
i've done five of these 2-b20's and 3l/s's,we've always pluged the head and haven't had any problems but i can see welding it being a better choice if your not concerned with milling the head,but once you weld it than mill it if you decide to go back to a vtec block your gonna have to retap it and mill again,that could be the end of a good vtec head

Vteckidd
02-10-2006, 11:03 AM
also please remember to use a LS head gasket. you will also need to use a vtec water pump and timing belt. vtec manifolds also. you can do the vtec engagement two ways. you can either get a factory computer or use a apexi vafc to engage vtec.
the Golden Eagle COMPLETE LS VTEC KIT supplys the correct headgasket, thats why i told people to get it.

Boostfed.com or Camp1320.com carrys it, they are $190ish. you dont HAVE to use a vtec belt, it only determines what water pump you have.

IE if you stick with your LS pump you have to run a LS Timing belt. if its a VTEC water pump you have to use a VTEC timing belt. the intake manifold should always match the head, B16 with B16/ITR and GSR with GSR. I would get a VTEC ecu, becuase the ignition and fuel tables are DRASTICALLY different in a VTEC ecu when compared to a LS ecu. A vtec ecu has more cells and clumns for vtec x-over.

with a VAFC, you basically can switch vtec ON, but the ignition and fuel tables will be way the fuck off ie car will run like shit. The money you would spend on a VAFC you can buy an Uberdata chipped ECU or a vtec ecu and have it done right .

my .02

mahdsports
02-10-2006, 01:27 PM
you can use the ls water pump, but it is not recommended. the gsr pump will flow faster. also when using the ls pump and timing belt, you may run into problems with the timing belt being too tight. yes, you can do it, but if it was the right way to do it, honda would have used the same belt and pump on all b-series engine, whether it is vtec or not.

BOOSTED96EK
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
i have run the stock ls pump and belt on all four of my motors.and all of them have had plugs put in the head i have never had any kinds of leaking or haeting issues.

Vteckidd
02-11-2006, 09:57 AM
you can use the ls water pump, but it is not recommended. the gsr pump will flow faster. also when using the ls pump and timing belt, you may run into problems with the timing belt being too tight. yes, you can do it, but if it was the right way to do it, honda would have used the same belt and pump on all b-series engine, whether it is vtec or not.
while the LS pump CAN scavenge at high rpms, if your revving your stock LS block past 7800rpms, then you have more worries that a water pump POSSIBLY losing efficiency. you have to worry about rod stretch and spun bearings.

Honda never desgined a LSVTEC from teh factory, they never expected the LS block to be used as a VTEC motor, so its all about what you have to work with.

If your gonna do a built motor, use the VTEC timing components. if your gonna stay with a STOCK ls block, there is no use to change the belt and pump IMO. Not unless your due for service

punkr6
02-11-2006, 11:07 AM
First he has a 97 ls, the 97 ls oil pump is the same part number as the type r oil pump. Second if he wanted to use the head on another car, couldnt he just t off of the oil pressure switch to activate vtec like you would do on an ls.

Vteckidd
02-11-2006, 11:13 AM
First he has a 97 ls, the 97 ls oil pump is the same part number as the type r oil pump. Second if he wanted to use the head on another car, couldnt he just t off of the oil pressure switch to activate vtec like you would do on an ls.
he was talking about the water pump, not the oil pump. but you are right about the oil pump. same part number.

ash7
02-12-2006, 07:38 PM
....shucks, i was hoping i could get my $.02 in on this thread... but Mr. Vteckidd already said all i was gonna say. :(