PDA

View Full Version : Misc May Be A Dumb Question....

Brett
01-23-2006, 09:08 AM
But it seems the Pitbul breed gets a bad rep in the news, etc. y question is this, If you got one as a puppy and raised him/her right with lots of love, affection, etc do they turn on thier onwers or others like you see and hear on the news? Some say they are some of the most loyal pets out there but some say even if they arent raised in a home that trains them to be mean, they still for no reason can turn on thier owner and attack and its not uncommon. So whats the real story? I saw a pit puppy FS in the FS forum and made me wonder cause I think the dogs are great looking animals and wouldnt mind down the road getting a puppy. And if it was does it need to be purebreed to make sure they arent "Off in the head"?

The Ren
01-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Well alot of pits arn't "full pits" per-say. Alot of them get adopted or are from such inbreeding they get messed up in the process. Pits are very territorial, and stubborn as hell. If from the get go you dont show dominace and let the pit know you are the alpha (female or male).. The pit will try and take advantage, and try to get to the head of the pack. Hence the "attack on their owners". I went through a whole class about pits when I worked at one of the vets I used to..

anothaRRR
01-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Very stubborn is correct...They are hard headed...I have 3 pits and yet have had a problem with them, I have a 2 year old daughter that is always around them and have yet to see them want to attack or do something stupid to her...Right, you just gotta show them who the boss is and not let them walk over you..

The Ren
01-23-2006, 09:28 AM
The big thing about alot of pitbull attacks on the news is when a "kid" goes near a pitbulls yard. They are very territorial, and they dont like other things getting near their territory. I have never known a pit to just run up to someone and attack unless the pit felt its home/human/life was threatened. Alot of people own pits and never have problems. I was talking to one of the guys at rockdale animal control and they have more bites by small dogs (chihuahuas, shitzus, ect..) and labs then pits.. but the pits/rotties are always the only ones televised or made public. Pitbulls are already banned in like 7 states in the US.

Brett
01-23-2006, 09:39 AM
So how do you "Show" who is boss? (Im not into hitting an animal, or riding thier ass about things ) I just like to make the animals life happy and enjoy it.

The Ren
01-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Well the main thing is resepct... I would most DEFINATLY try and find a trainer...and start young. And none of those Bullshit classes at Petsmart.. one on one is the best to begin with.. From the get go, you want the dog to act as a puppy as you expect it to be as an adult.. Start walking on the leash as much as the pup will hate it. If you dont want a big dog on the couch, dont let the puppy. I have a Choke chain for my pit, and if used right.. it wont hurt the dog. The spiked collar worked will for My pit as well. Research, dont be afraid to go online and find out all the info you can on dog training. When the pup is young and starts acting up, but the pup on its back, it will fidgit at first, but when it realizes your the boss it will give up and stop moving. When the pup does this.. turn it over and let it down. Also a pup has a VERY short term memory. If the pup poops inside.. you really cant get upset unless you catch him/her IN THE ACT. Once the pup has pooped, if you yell at it, it has no recollection of what it did, so he/she wont know what your yelling at. So when the pup goes potty outside.. Praise the pup like no other.. make a huge deal about it, even start off with treats. It will get the idea quick. If the pup goes pee inside, and you dont catch it in the act and then yell, the pup knows this "There is pee on the carpet, and mom/dad is mad".. the pup doesnt know "Oh I peed and mom/dad is mad".. Again its a respect thing (can you tell I have had this speach with lots of people?? LOL)

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Some say they are some of the most loyal pets out there but some say even if they arent raised in a home that trains them to be mean, they still for no reason can turn on thier owner and attack and its not uncommon.

EXACTLY!! It's called NATURAL ANIMAL INSTINCT. Any dog can go through it's whole life without attacking a fly. But you never know whether or not it will happen. Some of these people on here don't seem to want to accept that. You can "silver platter" these dogs and one day when you come home from work, it may attack you. The main point is, "YOU NEVER KNOW." Later, QD.

Brett
01-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Thats what Im wonderin, Granted any breed dog can turn on you for no reason, just seems to always be pitts though

The Ren
01-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Thats what Im wonderin, Granted any breed dog can turn on you for no reason, just seems to always be pitts though

Like I said it depends on the breeding.. Alot of "pure pits" seem to have that problem more than the mixed ones.. reason:Inbreeding.. When you inbreed that much you start to mess up the natural balance. I know alot of people who have had mixed pits/american bulldogs and they look the same, but seem to be alot nicer.

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Like I said it depends on the breeding..

I disagree. Any breed, mixed or pure, of dog has natural animal instinct and can very easily turn. Dog's have a mixed temperament. If you come home one day and pet the dog at the same time it is in a bad mood, you never know. Or if the dog hurts itself out running and yo inadvertently rub it's sore spot, you never know. Nah mean? Later, QD.

The Ren
01-23-2006, 12:38 PM
But thats the same with any animal.. period. Some breed have more probablity to do it..but it really does depend on breeding on how the temperment with the dog comes out..shitty breeding= real shitty dog.. careful breeding= better chance in having a good dog.

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2006, 12:41 PM
.but it really does depend on breeding on how the temperment with the dog comes out..shitty breeding= real shitty dog.. careful breeding= better chance in having a good dog.

That's true. I reference my words to the idiots that think that if you treat the dog like a King, never hit, swat, smack, drag, pull any form of abuse, that the dog will never turn on you. Later, QD.

The Ren
01-23-2006, 12:43 PM
That's true. I reference my words to the idiots that think that if you treat the dog like a King, never hit, swat, smack, drag, pull any form of abuse, that the dog will never turn on you. Later, QD.

True..a dog is still a dog.. no matter what. There is NO 100% Guarentee.. but if you get your dog froma good liscened breeder (which is another thing you need to look into) and you know what dogs have previously come out of the litters.. You have a better chance of getting a good dog.. but again there is no way to really tell.. ITs still a animal..

CiViCCuTie
01-23-2006, 02:09 PM
ok difference between a Chihuaha bite and a pit or rottie bite is the size of the dog and the size/strength of the jaws...I've been bitten by a rottie for NO REASON..I wasn't harming their home/human/life....It came into my friends yard and attacked me...and my mom was bitten by our family dog cause the dog was in pain...NATURAL INSTINCT of my dog was to protect its hurt paw...and did that at ANY cost!!!! My dog is an Australian Shepherd and wouldn't harm a "family" member in any other circumstance...This whole "pit bull ignorance" is stupid...dogs are still wild creatures no matter how well trained or domesticated they may be.....

The Ren
01-23-2006, 03:17 PM
ok difference between a Chihuaha bite and a pit or rottie bite is the size of the dog and the size/strength of the jaws...I've been bitten by a rottie for NO REASON..I wasn't harming their home/human/life....It came into my friends yard and attacked me...and my mom was bitten by our family dog cause the dog was in pain...NATURAL INSTINCT of my dog was to protect its hurt paw...and did that at ANY cost!!!! My dog is an Australian Shepherd and wouldn't harm a "family" member in any other circumstance...This whole "pit bull ignorance" is stupid...dogs are still wild creatures no matter how well trained or domesticated they may be.....

Repost...

KMDX
01-23-2006, 04:04 PM
I have 2 austrailan shepards they are both 6 years old, I recently bought a pit. she is now 4 months old. by far and I know I have said this over and over she is the best dog I have had (pit) she being a puppy is sharper at learning things the dog was sitting at 7 weeks old, walking on a leash and now knows stay at 4 months, she is very loyal to me, and hasn't left my side, I did alot of research on the breed before purchasing her, and if you listen to the hype about how bad they are then you are missing out on a good thing..if you have the time and the patience, which is what you will need for any dog, then you will be pleased with the outcome...of course do research on the breeder as well, as there are may puppy mills just like with any breed.,

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Ummm. That kind of had nothing to do with the topic. Later, QD.

Ms Dollar
01-23-2006, 05:06 PM
I used to have a pit and so really the only 2 cents that I can add is to back up what Ren has said. They can be the most loyal dogs on the earth, from what I have seen, but they are in fact very territorial as well as they are usually one owner dogs. Now saying that does not mean that it will like one person and no one else, it will just show more respect for one person over someone else and will usually be more stubborn to listen to other people.
And Ren you usually are not allowed to bring Pitbulls to training classes at Petsmart since they are considered an aggressive breed. Anyways.
Just a little bit of extra info in case you want to know. The name of the breed is not Pitbull, but it is American Staffordshire Terrier. Pitbull is just a common nickname that people use to describe the dog. Also you have to have ALOT of patience with these dogs. They can be the sweetest dogs in the world though.
As far as the dogs turning what causes most of them to turn(with pits that is) is with the inbreeding that goes on if you mix the bloodlines and if you aren't a licensed breeder, there is a chemical imbalance in the dog's brain that can sometimes cause blindness. What this does it basically the dog can't see, duh, but therefore does not know who is trying to jeopardize their territory and that's when they attack.
These are very high energy dogs that need lots of attention and exercise so if you will have to crate the dog for more than 8 hours a day and if you are not home a lot I would not recommend it. Also another thing that I strongly recommend is crate training. Basically it is a cage that they would sleep in inside, and you can eventually have the dog trained well enough that when they get tired they go in there to nap. Me and Chuck had Gracie trained so well that all we had to do was say "inside" and she went in there and stood in the crate and wouldn't come out.

I think that it's an awesome idea to get a Pit they are great dogs, and I would say you should go for it!

Sorry for the ridiculously long post...

KMDX
01-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Ummm. That kind of had nothing to do with the topic. Later, QD.

and why is that

KMDX
01-23-2006, 05:31 PM
I used to have a pit and so really the only 2 cents that I can add is to back up what Ren has said. They can be the most loyal dogs on the earth, from what I have seen, but they are in fact very territorial as well as they are usually one owner dogs. Now saying that does not mean that it will like one person and no one else, it will just show more respect for one person over someone else and will usually be more stubborn to listen to other people.
And Ren you usually are not allowed to bring Pitbulls to training classes at Petsmart since they are considered an aggressive breed. Anyways.
Just a little bit of extra info in case you want to know. The name of the breed is not Pitbull, but it is American Staffordshire Terrier. Pitbull is just a common nickname that people use to describe the dog. Also you have to have ALOT of patience with these dogs. They can be the sweetest dogs in the world though.
As far as the dogs turning what causes most of them to turn(with pits that is) is with the inbreeding that goes on if you mix the bloodlines and if you aren't a licensed breeder, there is a chemical imbalance in the dog's brain that can sometimes cause blindness. What this does it basically the dog can't see, duh, but therefore does not know who is trying to jeopardize their territory and that's when they attack.
These are very high energy dogs that need lots of attention and exercise so if you will have to crate the dog for more than 8 hours a day and if you are not home a lot I would not recommend it. Also another thing that I strongly recommend is crate training. Basically it is a cage that they would sleep in inside, and you can eventually have the dog trained well enough that when they get tired they go in there to nap. Me and Chuck had Gracie trained so well that all we had to do was say "inside" and she went in there and stood in the crate and wouldn't come out.

I think that it's an awesome idea to get a Pit they are great dogs, and I would say you should go for it!

Sorry for the ridiculously long post...

correction to your post
there are american staffordshire terriers and there are american pitbulls, the AMSTAFF's are recognized by AKC and the APBT is recognized by the UKC...the AMSTAFF is shorter and stocker and some breeders breed amstaff and APBT together to get the stockier look..JUST FYI

quickdodgeŽ
01-23-2006, 05:41 PM
^^^ None of which have anything to do with this topic. Later, QD.

KMDX
01-23-2006, 06:01 PM
^^^ None of which have anything to do with this topic. Later, QD.

And what is the topic QD? I could have swore it was Pitbulls..

Brett
01-23-2006, 06:47 PM
The behavior traits of a pitbull is what its about

CiViCCuTie
01-23-2006, 07:51 PM
The big thing about alot of pitbull attacks on the news is when a "kid" goes near a pitbulls yard. They are very territorial, and they dont like other things getting near their territory. I have never known a pit to just run up to someone and attack unless the pit felt its home/human/life was threatened. Alot of people own pits and never have problems. I was talking to one of the guys at rockdale animal control and they have more bites by small dogs (chihuahuas, shitzus, ect..) and labs then pits.. but the pits/rotties are always the only ones televised or made public. Pitbulls are already banned in like 7 states in the US.
Repost...But the whole "are pits naturally mean or no?" thread is a repost...i don't know how many threads there are on pits!