PDA

View Full Version : Misc So heres my dilema

tony
01-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Started lifting mid December, my main goal was to lose fat and gain a little muscle. I'd run about a mile every other day and hit the weight room for an hour three times a week.

Well I've dropped fat and gained muscle but I've also put on 5lbs since I started working out. I know that muscle weighs more than fat but this one is confusing me. When I started working out I significantly dropped my caloric intake over time. I'm not sure what I was taking in before but my diet changed drastically but I'm not losing weight at all.

I assumed in the process of toning that I would have lost some weight as well but its not happening. Any suggestions? I've started doing more cardio during the week..

HyPer50
01-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Ya... I had the same problem when I started lifting weights, I didn't really change my diet tho... but I started gaining weight like crazy... gained like 30lbs in a month just from lifting weights and sticking to the same eatting habits... From what I've heard, cardio will definatly help cut your weight tho, but ya, your not gonna be shedding pounds quick while lifting from what I've heard.

C22H19N3O4
01-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Let's not confuse weight with body fat. The ultimate goal is to lose body fat not just weight in general. If you are truly serious about getting lean then have your body fat percentage calculated at your gym. It's pretty cheap. Get it done every quarter to really gauge how much body fat you're losing. People get so disappointed when their total weight loss completely stops. Thats why most people quit within 2-4 weeks of joining a gym. Remember weight includes everything..water, fat, visceral organs, muscle, well you get the point. That's why testing for loss of body fat is important. So your total weight really means nothing. It's all about how you look, feel and how the old fat clothes fit now lol. Oh, and secretly take some before and after pics to track your results. Keeping a food journal for a while helps track where your weak areas are. Also, you will hit a plateau where you won't gain or lose anything. At that point take a some time to re-evaluate your program. I can't really say much more w/o knowing your cardio and resistance routine. GL!

ReCkLe5s
02-08-2006, 12:33 PM
yea if you wanna loss just weight you gonna need to run for alot more... try like 5 miles... i know it sounds like a lot but it does work.... realax on the weights and run..

{X}Echo419
02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
lift weights 1st run after. I can go into details if you would like.

btw: don't equate weight w/health. you might weigh 200lbs and be healthy as a horse. that's all that matters :goodjob:

blurred visions
02-26-2006, 11:05 PM
lift weights 1st run after. I can go into details if you would like.

btw: don't equate weight w/health. you might weigh 200lbs and be healthy as a horse. that's all that matters :goodjob:

run after? I do a 10 minute warm up run before my work out and a 10 minute run after.

lexi2003
02-26-2006, 11:36 PM
i lifted weight for three years. i ran track for 2. I would lift 2 to three times a day and run track mon-friday. I never gained alot of weight but i changed my weight lifting every day that way i wouldnt stop and get tired of doing it there is a weight program called BFS (bigger faster stronger) that is what i used....
http://mrkrueger.mhlearningnetwork.com/denverstrength/id1.html

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/