PDA

View Full Version : Ignition timing

ping_pongrcr
01-20-2006, 07:59 PM
does anyone know what the ignition timing is for a stock D16A6? Not to long ago I blew a head gasket. I had the head reworked and shaved as far down as possible. when re-installing the head i set the timing back at 0 degrees. or tdc. not realizing my mistake i finished the job and never looked back. Till now. I ahve been going through oil like crazy but the weird thing is that the motor made more power than it did before the head gasket blew. now that i have figured out the timing problem i want to correct it. i reset the timing to 8 degrees btdc. im not sure if that is the correct timing though. hinse the question at hand. also after i set the timing to 8 degrees btdcthe motor idles very low. around 250 - 300. when accelerating it lacks power till about 3500 rpm. it feels like the motor is being bogged down till the rpm's get up. i checked my fuel pressure to see if im running too rich or to lean but it set right where it needs to be. Anyone have any helpful hints to my problem? Beside the fact that im running a D16A6.:jerkit:

green91
01-20-2006, 08:22 PM
damn! its supposed to be 16 +/- 2 degs BTDC! its the red mark on the crank pulley. also make sure you put a jumper wire in the service connector so the ecu sets it to base time before you put your timing light on it.

ping_pongrcr
01-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Yeah. I dont know why i put 8, its set at 16, well actually about 18. Im running a higher compresion than stock. Im at about 10.5:1. Thanks though. i got it figured out.:goodjob: