PDA

View Full Version : Misc Finnaly I got a puppy! I have a few questions though

JDMshiZnit69
01-20-2006, 01:35 PM
OK i just got a really cute puppy, and i have a few questions.
SHe is only about 6 weeks old, and im trying to figure out whats the best way to make it to where she wont pee inside, shes getting good about holding it till i take her outside.
It does not work 100% lol. shes just a pup, but how can I get her traind to scratch the door or something if she needs to go.

Also about food, whats a good puppy food to give her?

and finnaly she whimpers and whines ALOT at night when im trying to sleep and its pretty loud. The only way to get her to stop is to get a big comfeter and wrap her in it and put her in my bed with me. As long as she's near me, shes ok.
But no one else will she do that for.

I want to get some sleep tonight badly, so what should I do, and i dont want her to continue the habbit of sleepin in my bed lol.

thanks

sp00nfKed
01-20-2006, 04:04 PM
what breed is your dog? best way to have her used to holding it , n to wait to go outside to pee or whatever is just take em out after they eat , pups have small bladders n cant really hold it.if you practice this all the time, your dog will get used to it. she wines becuase she is either bored or lonely , pups need alot of attention.

quickdodgeŽ
01-20-2006, 04:52 PM
You didn't ask these questions when you got the dog? Later, QD.

Dragonfly5338
01-20-2006, 05:01 PM
1) A good way of housebreaking is crate training. Puppies obviously don't want to soil their beds. If they're enclosed when you can't watch them, they'll hold it longer in order to keep from peeing where they sleep rather than if they have free run of the house. Also, be sure to ALWAYS take them out 20 minutes after they've eaten and 10 minutes or so after they've had water. Make sure they always go potty if you take them outside, you gotta stand out there as long as it takes. But eventually once it clicks that outside = potty she'll start scratching or barking to let you know that she needs to go.

2) I feed my dogs Nutro Ultra - you get it at Petsmart. Don't feed her anything you get at a grocery store, they're all crap. Don't listen to your vet either, a lot of times they get paid money to recommend a certain food (Usually IAMS which is crap). Nutro Ultra is the only one that didn't give my little dog the shits and my big dog allergies that make him scratch constantly.

3) The first couple days they always cry. They don't know where they are and are scared. If you crate train your dog, that helps a lot. Both my dogs are crate trained so whenever I leave they just sleep. They go into their crates to take naps most of the time, too. Try putting one of your t-shirts or a small blanket that you sleep on in the crate so it smells like you. Another good idea is to put a Kong with some peanut butter or other time-consuming toy in her crate at bedtime with her. By the time she figures it out she'll realize she's tired and will sleep, rather than spend the rest of her energy crying for you.

JDMshiZnit69
01-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks! I went to pets smart and got some food that this vet highly recomended and he showed me pics of what a difference it made in his puppy that was pulled away from its mother too soon, and it increases the groth, energy, and alot of things. Sounds good, they make food for all kinds of breeds of puppies. I have a pure bred female Pit bull shes so sweet.
I hold her alot and give her alot of attention, but when its sleep time for me, she does not sleep.

I have a crate im goin to try her out in it tonight see how that works. I have to leave her in my room due to other family members and also because i dont want her to be an outside dog.

I just got back from petsmart, got her some chew toys, a eucoliptus teething bone, a cute dog bed, a personally ingraved nametag, i named her Ariel btw wich means Lioness of God in Hebrew.

The vet checked her out and said shes very healthy, and I was on the right track. And gave me a few tips on how to make things easier and make sure she's healthy.

Im goin tuesday to get all of her shots and a full checkup and for them to do the whole deal.

I will post pics as soon as I get my camera back from my granma she took it on vacation with her.
thanks for all the info, especially dragonfly