PDA

View Full Version : ut oh - killed my batt, turned off kill switch, new batt - no sound

Stormhammer
01-19-2006, 08:30 PM
alright - here's the deal - more or less killed my battery with my sound sytem

I need a double battery unit, I know ( I have two amps, a 10in sub, and 4 6X9s running off of an 875 battery - that runs my car too :D )

anyways. So I buy a new battery. I turn off my kill switch for the system, install the new battery, turn the switch back on, put a cd in my headunt, turn up the volume... nothing. Look in my trunk. Amps aren't even lit up!!!

And as far as I'm aware, only two fuses are there, and they're up front. The car came with this system already, so I'm clueless :confused: any help would be mucho appreciated ( especially hands on )

sina518
01-19-2006, 10:01 PM
something is wrong in the wiring of the kill switch i would just take it off. and see wat happens

Stormhammer
01-19-2006, 11:51 PM
maybe - it worked fine before

RandomGuy
01-20-2006, 01:53 AM
there are fuses on the amps, or check the ground on the amps

Stormhammer
01-20-2006, 11:17 AM
okay - you're talking to a guy who doesnt know shit about sound systems lol

but okay. how about you just get your paki ass over here and help me

sina518
01-20-2006, 12:44 PM
take a test light give it a good ground check your power wire.
check your remote wire. if neither one of these make the test light turn on then you have a problem in the wiring of the amps. if both light up take your ground and your power wire touch them to gether very quickly to see if it sparks. if it does u have a good ground. if still no amp working check the fuses on the amp if that dont work your fucked buy a new amp

Stormhammer
01-20-2006, 02:04 PM
errr... I found my problem

the wire connecting to the battery came out of its crimp when I took off the battery termimal to change car batteries lol

... mannn

sina518
01-20-2006, 02:20 PM
i think you just wasted a thread and my time biatch

v3rd1g0
01-20-2006, 02:57 PM
lol don't worry, i've done worse, once i was installing a head unit and forsome reason no power was getting ot it. i spent hours re doing wire(too cheap to do smart harnesses) and finally i got the smart harnesses and nothing. SO i had some of my friends at ccity check out they were like hmm that's wierd anything else not...it was dark and i had just realized my dome light wasnt on either.....ended up having a blown fuse haha. yeah i felt just a bit stupid XD

sina518
01-20-2006, 04:58 PM
lol don't worry, i've done worse, once i was installing a head unit and forsome reason no power was getting ot it. i spent hours re doing wire(too cheap to do smart harnesses) and finally i got the smart harnesses and nothing. SO i had some of my friends at ccity check out they were like hmm that's wierd anything else not...it was dark and i had just realized my dome light wasnt on either.....ended up having a blown fuse haha. yeah i felt just a bit stupid XD

well your a fucking idiot and so is do research before you decide to do shit on your ownStormhammer (http://forums.importatlanta.com/member.php?u=4735) http://forums.importatlanta.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_617103", true);
wacko canuck

Stormhammer
01-20-2006, 06:13 PM
well your a fucking idiot and so is do research before you decide to do shit on your ownStormhammer (http://forums.importatlanta.com/member.php?u=4735) http://forums.importatlanta.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_617103", true);
wacko canuck

and you got a christmas tree up your ass. Half the fun of this stuff is realizing how stupid the problem is after so long of trying to figure it out

green91
01-20-2006, 06:28 PM
these kind of problems are why i take a logical approach to solving the problem before i post up and feel stupid :)

sina518
01-20-2006, 06:45 PM
and you got a christmas tree up your ass. Half the fun of this stuff is realizing how stupid the problem is after so long of trying to figure it out

no you dont post shit unless you have gone over everything if u have a wire from the engine bay to the trunk and something alond the lines is messed up you need to go through the whole thing then if you find absolutly nothing wrong ask that wat were here. but if u have a problem and all you do is look in the trunk your wasting your time and my time.

Stormhammer
01-21-2006, 12:24 PM
no you dont post shit unless you have gone over everything if u have a wire from the engine bay to the trunk and something alond the lines is messed up you need to go through the whole thing then if you find absolutly nothing wrong ask that wat were here. but if u have a problem and all you do is look in the trunk your wasting your time and my time.

what necessarily gives you the idea that I hadn't gone through the car? And for just look in the trunk? no. It was more like, check all fuses in the front, test the wires at various points, check the fuses on the amps, checked the grounds, got back to the killswitch, followed the wiring back to my car battery, which is in my trunk, and thats where I discovered the wiring had come out of its eyelet crimp.

green91
01-21-2006, 12:27 PM
logically, if the amp doesnt appear to be turning on, you should have checked to see if you were getting 12v+ at the amp. since you didnt, back track to the fuse, and if the fuse was good, check the connection at the battery. its that simple. most people dont take a logical approach to solving the problem and get on the computer and post up "ARRR my amp isnt working!!!!" and it ends up being something stupid, lol

BanginJimmy
01-21-2006, 05:39 PM
take your ground and your power wire touch them to gether very quickly to see if it sparks

do NOT do that. You can easily fry an amp doing that.

1 more thing, ditch the kill switch and wire it properly. Run the remote wire from the head unit(generally solid blue or blue/white) to the amp/amps. The reason then system killed your battery is because the kill switch may not be working properly and still bleed power to your amps. I've seen it happen may times.

sina518
01-21-2006, 06:49 PM
explain to me how u fry the amp when touching the two together.
the power is not connected to th the amp at the time. come on think about it,

BanginJimmy
01-21-2006, 07:22 PM
if there is no power to the amp no its not going to spark. If you know there is no power to the amp, what are you checking by touching the wires together? If you dont know if there is or isnt power to the amp, and touch them ogether, and there is power, you can fry the amp.

sina518
01-21-2006, 11:22 PM
okay AMP INSTALLATION 101 one of the things you check when your amp doesnt work is to see if u have a good ground. in order to do tha I usually touch the two together and it sparks then good ground you dont put power to ur amp then touch the 2 that dosent make sense.

green91
01-22-2006, 12:02 AM
your obviously not a professional. i usually use a multi-meter or test light to check!

Stormhammer
01-22-2006, 02:05 AM
your obviously not a professional. i usually use a multi-meter or test light to check!

I'll be the first to admit it, especially when it comes to sound systems

and the only thing the killswitch does is it kills the power to the amps and to all speakers etc. The other end of the switch is wired directly to my battery. Which suffices for now. I know, I need a dual battery unit, its in the works :cool:

green91
01-22-2006, 11:04 AM
ah, i wasnt talking about you, i was talking about the genius who tests for power by touching the power and ground wires together :jerkit:

I'll be the first to admit it, especially when it comes to sound systems

and the only thing the killswitch does is it kills the power to the amps and to all speakers etc. The other end of the switch is wired directly to my battery. Which suffices for now. I know, I need a dual battery unit, its in the works :cool:

sina518
01-22-2006, 12:29 PM
you guys have to be the stupidest bunch of fucking retards i have ever talked to. you dont test for power when you touch the 2 together you test for ground. no ground equels your amp not turning on. it your power wire is connected to the batt then you obviously have power you dip shits. so if you dont know what your talking about and you dont read the post carefully do everyone a favor shut the fuck up on your comments cause obviously you guys are having the problems not me. i know how to fix my shit

Stormhammer
01-22-2006, 12:29 PM
ah, i wasnt talking about you, i was talking about the genius who tests for power by touching the power and ground wires together :jerkit:

isn't that kinda the same no no when you have booster cables attached to a battery and how you shouldnt touch the other ends together?

sina518
01-22-2006, 02:56 PM

not every one is a porfessional like you, show me some of your porfessional installs maybe ill send you some bussiness and people posting shit one hear asking for help are obviously not porfessionals either, so they wont have a multi-meter or test light. :2up:

green91
01-22-2006, 04:01 PM
exactly.. except atleast the amp wire should have an inline fuse, but based on this guy's methods of testing wires who knows if he even has a fuse, lol.

and btw, just because the wire is hooked up, its possible you dont have power if the fuse is blown, dumbass

i've done several installs and your testing methods werent used in any of them. id rather wait until you fuck something up by touching wires and then get paid to fix it

isn't that kinda the same no no when you have booster cables attached to a battery and how you shouldnt touch the other ends together?

green91
01-22-2006, 04:04 PM
yeah, we are retards. thats why we have phenomenal spelling like you and touch wires together to test for ground. idiot.

you guys have to be the stupidest bunch of fucking retards i have ever talked to. you dont test for power when you touch the 2 together you test for ground. no ground equels your amp not turning on. it your power wire is connected to the batt then you obviously have power you dip shits. so if you dont know what your talking about and you dont read the post carefully do everyone a favor shut the fuck up on your comments cause obviously you guys are having the problems not me. i know how to fix my shit

Stormhammer
01-22-2006, 04:21 PM

I fixed mine didnt I? :D