PDA

View Full Version : im slow

Nightwalker
01-19-2006, 12:30 AM
does anyone know how bad my car will be affected if i left the top off of my oil cap and drove around for like 2 hours with it off and it sprayed all over everything under the hood will i die? i mean the car that is im sorry if i didnt make it clear but are there going to be any serious prolblems with the parts that surround the engine im mean its burning he oil that splaterd but yea

TheSnail
01-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Why dont to check the level on the dipstick and make a guestimation?

chrisdavis
01-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Two things are going to happen if you continue to drive without your oil cap in place. First you run the risk of an engine fire from the oil spraying out into the engine bay. Second you run the risk of running the car out of oil and locking up your engine. If you havent already done so catch a ride to the parts store and buy an oil cap and go clean your motor up. Do not stick a rag in the opening and continue to ride around (I'm not saying you did or will do it but just in case).

speedminded
01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
That looks like an FB in the pic...did this happen on a wankel engine?

99SI
01-19-2006, 03:44 PM
That sucks so bad. I accidentally did that one day, luckily I heard the oil cap fall off and I pulled over to check what it was. Went back and found my oil cap laying in the middle of the road. Yeah, definately get it cleaned up. Anything rubber can degrade if it gets coated and stays coated. If you do have a rotary this won't apply but if you have a piston engine and you have a timing belt you may want to check and make sure that it didn't compromise it any. Petroleum products own rubber products, that's why you can't use vaseline with condoms! It makes them look like swiss cheese on a microscopic level!

skillzilla
01-19-2006, 10:51 PM
I think thats a first gen MR2