PDA

View Full Version : changing out the dash & VIN

DaMaGe ZWK
01-17-2006, 01:53 PM
my friend put a gsr dash in his civic.... he never changed the vin number off of it and got charged with a felony... i just changed the dash out in my car and i need to know what to do about it so i dont go to jail over this stupid crap... i heard that you cant even take the old vin off and replace the new one... what to do?

4dmin
01-17-2006, 03:09 PM
how can he be charged w/ a felony for a dash swap? if there are no numbers changing in the car it is not illegal and how would a cop know you have a different dash?

DaMaGe ZWK
01-17-2006, 04:26 PM
he put the gsr dash in a civic and didnt put his vin back in the car.... so they repoed it and he got charged with a felony

IntegraXTR
01-17-2006, 04:41 PM
I replaced a dash in a 97' civic a while back because the dash I had was painted white from the moron that last owned it, all you do is drill the rivets out and rivet in the new vin plate. takes like 1 min to do.

speedminded
01-18-2006, 02:47 PM
^^^exactly what krucial said.

Regarding the felony, I assume the officer ran the VIN that was on the dash...what did it come back as? Stolen? Salvaged? The VIN number is all over each car, not just on a dash, so i doubt he was charged just because he changed it one place.

My second question is, why did the officer have to run the VIN in the first place? Not a single time has my VIN number ever been run (yet they've always asked why it's covered, no big deal), his tag must have been expired or for the wrong vehicle...

DaMaGe ZWK
01-18-2006, 04:05 PM
his car was repoed and thats how he got charged with a felony... it doesnt matter if the dash doesnt match the rest of the vehicle... he changed it out so they charged him with a felony

speedminded
01-18-2006, 04:06 PM
his car was repoed and thats how he got charged with a felony... it doesnt matter if the dash doesnt match the rest of the vehicle... he changed it out so they charged him with a felonyWHAT was he charged with? WHAT was the charge?

bigfred706
01-18-2006, 05:43 PM
how can he be charged w/ a felony for a dash swap? if there are no numbers changing in the car it is not illegal and how would a cop know you have a different dash? the vin number on the dash should came back juck car when the police ran it.....where did your friend get the dash from????

wrekonize
01-19-2006, 11:16 PM
if u want to change the vin on the dash with out it looking like
it was messed with get a sharp knife and slide it under the the vin plate
then get a blowtorch and heat the tip of a screw drive(philips) when its red
put the tip of the screw driver on the metel clamp (bolts) and at the same time pull the vin plate with the knife up and the vin plate with bolt slides right out
then repeat on the other side

Tank
01-19-2006, 11:52 PM
for some reason this thread send off a red flag why would anyone want to know anything about changing vins not saying anything about the guy who started this but lets think people. there are people out there who make there own dashes the fact is as long as the original vin number is in the vehicle theres no grounds for any officer to do anything.

speedminded
01-20-2006, 02:49 AM
for some reason this thread send off a red flag why would anyone want to know anything about changing vins not saying anything about the guy who started this but lets think people. there are people out there who make there own dashes the fact is as long as the original vin number is in the vehicle theres no grounds for any officer to do anything.exactly, that's why i want to know what the charge is. I don't think it for altering a vehicles identification unless it was done elsewhere on the car too and the registration and/or insurance info was not correct or for that vehicle.

IntegraXTR
01-20-2006, 06:06 PM
exactly, that's why i want to know what the charge is. I don't think it for altering a vehicles identification unless it was done elsewhere on the car too and the registration and/or insurance info was not correct or for that vehicle.

yeh I'm with him, doesn't seem right that he got charged with a felony cuz he changed the dash's vin #, I mean even if it didn't match the vehicle and the officer assumed it was stolen that still wouldn't do shit because you can just show proof of ownership and explain the situation. Why did he get pulled over in the first place?

HiPSI
01-20-2006, 06:12 PM
hmm... considering the vin is STAMPED to the chassis, i don't see why the dash vin is such a big deal ;).

wrekonize
01-20-2006, 07:14 PM
I got stop and i forgot to swap the vins i got a da dash in a eg civic and the officer
asked why the insurance and the dash numbers are not the same i showed him the door jam vin and he called another officer for back up and then impounded my car i didnt get my car for 2 days because it was under investagtion so dont forget to swap the vin out

eViLMunkey
01-21-2006, 01:33 AM
you got a stolen dash... RED FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!

speedminded
01-21-2006, 01:38 AM
I got stop and i forgot to swap the vins i got a da dash in a eg civic and the officer
asked why the insurance and the dash numbers are not the same i showed him the door jam vin and he called another officer for back up and then impounded my car i didnt get my car for 2 days because it was under investagtion so dont forget to swap the vin outstill doesn't answer what the charge was.

eViLMunkey
01-21-2006, 01:46 AM
yeah.. what was your supposed charge.. newbie

CMO
01-21-2006, 04:47 PM
you got a stolen dash... RED FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's what I'm thinking right there. The dash came from a stolen car.