PDA

View Full Version : Best 350z turbo kit

SwiftGTiRacer
01-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm shopping around looking at turbo kits. I was wonder what everyone's thoughts are on what kit is the best bang for the buck on the 350z.

Swifty

4DRGSR
01-14-2006, 05:08 PM
buy the turbonetics kit....trust me the greddy kit is nota "bolt on kit"....we installed 2 greddy kits here in augusta and nothing fit....the downpipes were wrong and greddy had to replace them on both kits...dont get me wrong greddy is a great manufacturer...but the turbonetics kit has just as much potenial...and easier installment......but the choice is ultimately up to you

ct9a gsr
01-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Might want to ask Tony if you're serious about boosting your Z, he has a lot lot lot of experience with 'em since he had a really nice/fast boosted G.

tony
01-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Hands down the most complete kit is the APS Twin Turbo, and you can't go wrong with the single either. The Greddy Kit is cheaper but by the time you add in all the additional parts needed you've spent just as much.

Most important, moreso than what kit you decide to go with is who you get to install and tune it. I'll say a good 80% of engine failures I know of were due to poor installation or bad tuning.

Heres a couple of things to consider:

#1 Join www.my350z.com and 350zmotoring.com and become familiar with the forced induction forum, I mean go back through the threads dating back to a year ago because there is endless amounts of first hand information there that I couldnt begin to put a value on.

#2 The Greddy kit is great when tuned properly. the best tuner in the south and probably in the country for TT'd Z's is in Charlotte, Sharif at www.forgedinternals.com (Owns a 600+hp Z that he tunes himself) and the shop is CPRace... most of the local Forced Induction G's and Z's take their car there.

But here is the other thing about the Greddy kit that makes it a risk, the Front Mount Intercooler is so big that it removes the collision bar at the front. Some people do not care for this but that is the main reason I waited for the APS kit, and when I hit the deer back in July, had that brace not been there I probably would have totalled my car when I hit the deer. If you care for your life and your safety I would seriously take that into consideration.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9162/07100520014tb.jpg

3. Expect to spend a LOT of money and there is still no guarantee that something will not go wrong. Again that goes back to installation and tuning but I know a guy that blew his engine on the dyno, never got to drive the car and even after building the motor it failed again. Its a big risk and do not expect Nissan to honor any part of the warranty, they are really bad about that unless you know someone personally.

4. The APS kit ($7400 MSRP) has a limited amount of tuners with the Unichip but you have two options. I believe you stay in Florida correct? Japtrix in Orlando just became a tuner for Unichip and also Utec offers a solution that is probably the BEST option for any 350Z TT kit right now, it came out right when I sold my car so I never got my hands on it.

I'm telling you from experience, I just cannot stress it enough.. research research and more research. I knew nothing about this stuff a few years ago.. couldnt tell you the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger but by the time I sold my car I was doing a lot of the physical work in my garage.

As for the turbonetics, I have no experience and never researched it.. the kit just never interested me. But if you go on the Z forums you will find that they are having problems with engine failures riight now. I'm not sure why but that is whats going on, you're rolling the dice if you decide go turbo your Z and you want to reduce the risk as much as possible so if you go with turbonetics, at least wait it out.

And this is the last thing I swear.. but people will tell you the engine cannot handle this and it cant handle that, or they will tell you to build your engine. This usually comes from people with no personal experience and only go off of hearsay, the engine can hold it trust me. I put 10,000 HARSH miles on my APS kit and the only problem I had was with the synchros which was not even related to the power I was putting down. I was pushing 12psi at times on the stock engine and it still held together. So dont listen to the BS about the VQ internals being weak, there are people pushing 500+hp on the stock engine and running strong. Two tuners who pushed their Z's up to 500whp ended up tearing down their engines to rebuild out of precaution but literally found no excessive wear on the engine internals once they tore it down.

If you need any help or advice hit me up on aim.. tio tonio

4DRGSR
01-14-2006, 06:52 PM
^thanks for the info....didn't know about the engine failures happening....might contact my old customer's.....is there a direct dealer for the aps kit????

tony
01-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Z1 Motorsports in Carrollton, GA sells the APS kits but here is a list of authorized dealers

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/aps-usa/us_distributors.htm

FatBoy1
01-17-2006, 02:23 AM
JWT TT

SwiftGTiRacer
01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
i need this car to be reliable but i also want it fast. i know, oxymorron. after what I read about turboing the 350's i'm a little worried about it. I think i'm going to keep reading about people'd reviews cause this isn't something i want to screw up. Thanks for the help guys and the links Tony.

Swifty

fawk_you
01-24-2006, 03:05 AM
TT APS kit... was a former employee of Z1. Never actually saw any kits with problems. (didnt really read up on it either) Very very good investments. There is a car presently at the shop putting down right around 500HP on a 350z... the car is running rich as hell but is making awesome power. (something weird with the air fuel if im not mistaken) Cars normally with the APS kit will run right around a 12.4 or so in the 1/4. (all depending on the driver... seen 11's with a 75 shot...)

If you get one with weird air fuel...u could be looking at a mid 11 sec car on boost to high 10 sec. car without spray. :goodjob:

tony
01-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Who is running nitrous on a TT'd 350Z?

fawk_you
01-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Susan... the guy that drove her car at the track for battle of the shops ran the 11...:)

tony
01-24-2006, 05:40 PM
You cant use nitrous on the APS kit cause you cant tune for it, the engine would blow by the time it got to the end of the track. Most 400+whp TT'd Z's run in the high 11's with a good driver. 10's arent likely on the stock engine though.. I dont think anyone has done it other than the G35 in Puerto Rico.

fawk_you
01-24-2006, 06:26 PM
I can give you Susans number if you would like and ask her for yourself. :)

GirlieZ
01-25-2006, 12:59 AM
get outa this thread leanne, just bc u worked at z1 doesnt mean you know shit about our Zs or FI

GirlieZ
01-25-2006, 01:03 AM
dont you have to build the motor anyways to run a boost higher then 8 psi? talking to the owner of import killer at capital city nissa,,,recommended that the motor be built before any FI was done, since its not worth the money to run 5 to 8 psi. I say put your money else where first, do ur research and decide what the purpose of your z is

fawk_you
01-25-2006, 04:18 AM
dont you have to build the motor anyways to run a boost higher then 8 psi? talking to the owner of import killer at capital city nissa,,,recommended that the motor be built before any FI was done, since its not worth the money to run 5 to 8 psi. I say put your money else where first, do ur research and decide what the purpose of your z is

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/826566
Bragging Rights
Quarter Mile 12.5 sec @ 113 mph
0-60 4.7 sec
est. HP 398 hp
est. wt. 3300 lbs

Read his information about the "powerplant" ...not much done
to it huh? :goodjob: Low boost can still sit you right around 400HP! ;)
The driving might not be good with a 1/4 that high but still nice HP
standings... WITH NOT ALOT OF "building" done...

Maybe you should be the one to reasearch it more. Just because
you own the car, doesnt mean you know the ends and outs of it
like the palm of your hand. :lmfao: You have reminded me of so
may of the other girls on this site....buy a car, and you AUTOMATICALLY
know EVERYTHING ABOUT IT, and cant be corrected! :lmao: Get your
head out of your ass! Ive been corrected numerous times on this kit...
however I think I have delt with it enough to know what I am talking
about. Thanks

I am OPEN to correction though however, when proven facts are presented to me other than "hear say".

JDMBeau
01-25-2006, 04:23 AM
i <3 lea anne
mainstream performance
/thread

tony
01-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I have Susans number. trust me they're not running nitrous.. straight from the horses mouth:

http://forums.importatlanta.com/showpost.php?p=436284&postcount=36

Its damn near useless to run nitrous on a twin turbo VQ (especially the stock block) because it already has tons of torque that makes traction a huge problem.. nitrous will only make it worse not to mention the risk you run in blowing your engine. TT 350Z owners wont even take the risk of spraying nitrous on the intercooler.

Short gearing is more of an issue, the gears are not tall enough and you almost spend more time shifting than you do in gear when starting out.

The point I made and have been trying to make is this.. you wont catch me giving advice on someone who wants to modify a Supra or an STi and so on. If I'm looking to do major modifications I'm not going to a dealership either.. I'm looking for real experiences not someones opinion. If I had an Evo I'd much rather go to Charles (ct9a gsr) than asking someone at a dealership.. I'll go to Matt (half baked) for advice on dropping an SR20 into a sentra rather than random opinions on a forum.. why? Because they have actual experience.. good and bad.

btw I ran 10psi on the stock engine from day one without direct air to the intercooler and had no problems.. EGT's stayed below 750C and a decent a/f ratio.

fawk_you
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Point taken babe. Thanks. And ill take that from you... very good point 2!

Im a tard, it was the same group weekend after weekend... sorry babe.
Weather it be true or not... I got that call.... so...I was saying what I heard,
DIRECTLY from her... :( Obviously it wasnt true so... maybe the other guy
just drove really well? hmmmm Not really sure but thats sort of disappointing.
That suxors.

/thread for me.

GirlieZ
01-25-2006, 02:03 PM
im not saying im the goddess of the z, but z1 has fucked up more z then i can count...i considered boosting the z before i dropped what i did on some showier mods...to me it just wasnt worth the risk for my daily driver, but good luck boosting ur z bro, and tony is right

Speedm0(\)key
01-25-2006, 02:29 PM
i couldnt agree more with what Tony has said.

my own personal opinion, build your motor. atleast bottom end. just to be extra careful. the absolute best tuners for the VQ right now at time will not be in GA.

Batman
02-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Yeap i agree with tony as well, the only guy id take my Z to would be Sharif, and def join my350z.com! so much information there..also you'll find out that there is a guy with 490whp on stock bottom end that has been running it for a while..which means very good tune..
But comming back to your question..Def the APS kits, and Turbonetics single..which is the one im gonna get soon.

Batman
02-15-2006, 09:56 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/826566
Bragging Rights
Quarter Mile 12.5 sec @ 113 mph
0-60 4.7 sec
est. HP 398 hp
est. wt. 3300 lbs

Read his information about the "powerplant" ...not much done
to it huh? :goodjob: Low boost can still sit you right around 400HP! ;)
The driving might not be good with a 1/4 that high but still nice HP
standings... WITH NOT ALOT OF "building" done...

Maybe you should be the one to reasearch it more. Just because
you own the car, doesnt mean you know the ends and outs of it
like the palm of your hand. :lmfao: You have reminded me of so
may of the other girls on this site....buy a car, and you AUTOMATICALLY
know EVERYTHING ABOUT IT, and cant be corrected! :lmao: Get your
head out of your ass! Ive been corrected numerous times on this kit...
however I think I have delt with it enough to know what I am talking
about. Thanks

I am OPEN to correction though however, when proven facts are presented to me other than "hear say".

12.5 is very weak for that power..there are 100's of ppl on my350z. that ran 13.1 with bolt ons...no headers no cams..susans Z probably didnt have traction at all tho..i should be running mid 13's to low 13's..i just dont know how to drive :lmfao: