PDA

View Full Version : Misc Installing a wireless router?

ChnkyLao
01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
im installing it and im on step seven, and its asking me for a password. i cant find one, can anyone tell me where to find it?

yes im calling their technical support and them bitches arent picking up.

i just bought it ten minutes ago here is alink http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470125

can anyone help me, this hold is so annoying

Marty
01-13-2006, 08:18 PM
no username
password: admin

ChnkyLao
01-14-2006, 10:38 AM
^^^ thanks still having problems though. When i connect the dsl modem to the computer it works. But wen i connect the modem to the router it can never find a connection. Can anyone help? thanx

EDIT: do i have to do the install cd thing. It was working fine, before i tried to install to cd thing.

Stormhammer
01-18-2006, 02:44 PM
^^^ thanks still having problems though. When i connect the dsl modem to the computer it works. But wen i connect the modem to the router it can never find a connection. Can anyone help? thanx

EDIT: do i have to do the install cd thing. It was working fine, before i tried to install to cd thing.

um, yea, you do have to do that cd

Deaf Pimp
01-18-2006, 06:25 PM

You don't have to do the CD thing. If you are using Bellsouth with the Alcatel modem (I think thats the name), you will need to go into the modem configuration and set it for Bridged Mode. If you do not do this, your router will not work correctly. You could configure your router to be a wireless access point and that would work just fine, that way all authentication/DHCP will be done through Bellsouth.

I wish I could find the website with the instructions, but I can't. Do a google search for Alcatel dsl + linksys wireless router and you should find plenty of info.

TwinyTwin
01-18-2006, 06:27 PM
^NERD!!!!

ChnkyLao
01-18-2006, 08:18 PM
thanks, i returned it and got a new one, and didnt do the cd thing and it works fine, i have a wireless connection, connected two computers, im happy.

tho, the customer service was a bitch though, they put me on hold for like 50 mins, then some chick with horrible english picks up, and i cant understand wat the fuck she is saying, and she couldnt understand me.

threehundred
01-18-2006, 10:48 PM
The correct answer is to set the IP address of the wireless router to a subnet other than that of the Bellsouth DSL modem. For example, the modem's IP is most likely 192.168.1.254. The default IP for the wireless router is probably 192.168.1.1. Change the IP of the wireless router to 192.168.2.1, this puts it on a different subnet. This will work.

ChnkyLao
01-19-2006, 05:59 PM
ok ill try that now, for that last comment, only worked for like like 10 mins

PSINXS
01-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Just put the CD in your disk drive.

threehundred
01-20-2006, 07:43 AM
If you don't change the IP address of the wireless router, it won't work (with Bellsouth modem and Linksys wireless router). Trust me, i've installed this exact setup multiple times.