PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Wastegate?

Retro
01-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Im new to the whole turbo thing, so i was just wondering if on a turbo setup do you have to you a wastegate to prevent over boosting or can you just use a bov?

Wingman0
01-12-2006, 09:27 PM
what a wastegate dose is bypass the exaust turbine. This allows you to keep the wear down on your turbo. Sure I guess you could make a setup to prevent over boosting that way but your turbo is going to were out sooner.

Evolution Autodesign
01-12-2006, 11:23 PM
You're going to have to do both, wastegates and bov's serve very different functions. A wastegate bleeds off exhaust gas before the turbo to regulate boost levels. A bov vents off air when the throttle plate closes to prevent damage to the turbo. Can't really use a bov to regulate boost. Well, I guess you sort of could by setting it really loose and having it leak while boosting (I did that on my old Vortech SC setup) but it's not really effective.
But a bov would never be able to consistently regulate boost pressure.

Im new to the whole turbo thing, so i was just wondering if on a turbo setup do you have to you a wastegate to prevent over boosting or can you just use a bov?

1/4Mile
01-12-2006, 11:54 PM
what a wastegate dose is bypass the exaust turbine. This allows you to keep the wear down on your turbo. Sure I guess you could make a setup to prevent over boosting that way but your turbo is going to were out sooner.

And whats more than the wear it will cause on you turbo, is the effect of overboost on your engine. Because one thing is for sure. That Turbo however innocent it may look can take a lot more boost than you engine.

Retro
01-13-2006, 12:11 AM
well thanks guys....i understand now, thanks for all your help! also does anyone know what size wastegate i should use? 35mm,38mm,40mm? the turbo ive got is a garrett t3/t4 .60 on the compressor side and .63 on the exhaust side i think. im only going to be running about 7 or 8psi (i know thats a big turbo for such low boost) thanks again guys!

1/4Mile
01-13-2006, 12:16 AM
well thanks guys....i understand now, thanks for all your help! also does anyone know what size wastegate i should use? 35mm,38mm,40mm? the turbo ive got is a garrett t3/t4 .60 on the compressor side and .63 on the exhaust side i think. im only going to be running about 7 or 8psi (i know thats a big turbo for such low boost) thanks again guys! I had a Simular turbo setup and a 35/38mm should be good. I would use either a Tial 38mm or a Turbonetic Evo. If space is and option I would use the Evo. But I have a Tial style. Pm me on it I'll let it go cheap. it has a 6 psi spring