PDA

View Full Version : pulling power steering

dtmcnamara
01-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Ok i have a 1989 Toyota Corolla that needs a new power steering unit. I want to just rip it out for now and drive it for a little bit and see how it drives before I spend some money on a new one. My questions is

Is pulling power steering off a car as easy as I think? coul dyou just pull the belt off and thats that? or is there more to it? Sorry if this is stupid I have just never dont it before

Sleepin Hatch
01-10-2006, 01:16 PM
yea you can just take the belt off, but the unit is still there. end the end doing nothing really.

dtmcnamara
01-10-2006, 01:51 PM
ya well right not the belt pully turns and squeels extreamly loud, it broke inside of the pump so....anyways thanks

David88vert
01-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Taking the belt off doesn't really help anything. It just makes it harder to drive 0-10mph. If you actually remove the PS pump, you will have to loop the line (after you drain the fluid). This is still not the same as a manual rack.
Your best bet is to find out if the car was ever offered with just a manual rack. If so, get one from Mavel and install it. I am about to convert my RX7 to a Mavel rack also. Much better road feel, plus about 30lbs less weight over the front wheels.