PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine Patch

speedracer41
04-11-2005, 07:32 AM
So, I've been on the patch for about 2 and a half hours and my skin is crawling. I just want to lie on the floor and kick and scream. Can someone offer some advise. or - maybe just support. I'm dying here.

civic95
04-11-2005, 07:38 AM
So you started quitting today? I think you should of put it on last night if you just started no smoking today. Good luck man.

Chuckster
04-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Why dont you just give up. Your not gonna quit. You will just end up buying another pack by noon. You will probly smoke more then your average today. Waste more money on another pack. Then you will have cancer. Then you will have to spend more money to see a docter. You will worry about your health to the point where you will need more cigs. You will waste even more money on cigs. You will become poor as the tobaco industrie becomes richer. You then die and hurt others that are close to you.

is that enough support

speedracer41
04-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanx, I'm prepared for the rough road ahead.

Pher
04-11-2005, 08:39 AM
The patch helps a lot. Much more than you think it does. Keep yourself busy and it will be a lot easier. You will keep telling yourself, "Hey I can just have 1." Dont... thats always my downfall. Good luck.

trythefly
04-11-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm trying to quit myself lately. Heres some advice for the patch that I have learned the hard way..... If you put it on in the morning it will make your skin crawl BAD. But I have learned to deal with it. In a few hours it will go away. Make sure you eat breakfast, dont drink too much coffee. Those two will make it much worse. Drink a shit-ton of H20... Get some sunflower seeds. They help.....

Hope that helps you....

speedracer41
04-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I have already gone thru a whole bad of sunflower seeds. It's 11 now and my skin is still crawling. One day at a time I guess.

Jaimecbr900
04-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Whatever you do, don't smoke while the patch is on. You'll get light headed and even worse have to start all over again. It works. Just give it time to kick in.

Are you using the highest dosage one?

BTW, something that helped me cut the edge off sometimes.....put something the size of a cigarette between your fingers. It makes your brain think you're holding one and cuts the edge off slightly. Also chewing gum helps.

Good luck. It will be so worth it when you make it. I quit after more than 15 yrs smoking after losing a bet to my daughter. After 2 yrs of quitting, I feel so much better about it now. You will too.

Chuckster
04-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Brandi quit cold turkey

trythefly
04-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Whatever you do, don't smoke while the patch is on. You'll get light headed and even worse have to start all over again. It works. Just give it time to kick in.

Are you using the highest dosage one?

BTW, something that helped me cut the edge off sometimes.....put something the size of a cigarette between your fingers. It makes your brain think you're holding one and cuts the edge off slightly. Also chewing gum helps.

Good luck. It will be so worth it when you make it. I quit after more than 15 yrs smoking after losing a bet to my daughter. After 2 yrs of quitting, I feel so much better about it now. You will too.

Thanks thats some help for me too. I've been going on and off the patch for about 3 weeks now. I'm finally ready to really quit tomorrow......

DJ XtRaKŠ
04-11-2005, 11:07 AM
the patch didnt work for me it just gave me really bad skin problems on my uppper arm where the patch was. its going away slowly but still it sucked...i feel your pain man.

Jaimecbr900
04-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks thats some help for me too. I've been going on and off the patch for about 3 weeks now. I'm finally ready to really quit tomorrow......

The patch will only work if you don't smoke at all. Remember it's giving you a steady dose of nicotine and then you come back in and smoke, so you're basically getting a double dose. Your body will adjust and now take twice as much to ween off nicotine.

If you fall off the bandwagon, STOP using the patch all together and go back to the larger dose and START again. IF you don't, your cravings will just increase until eventually you give up and go back to smoking.

I went on/off the patch several times before it worked for me. The only time it did was when I committed to NOT smoke at all. After about 3-4 wks, it starts getting easier and easier until you finally can do it w/o a patch. The hardest hump is the first month or so. It's murder.

BTW, I also did the pill thing. That sucked because it made me all drugged out and stuff. I didn't like the feeling at all. It's a pill usually given to people suffering from depression. It was terrible for me.

Patch worked though. Gotta stick with it though.

speedracer41
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
^^Thanks for the info.

quickdodgeŽ
04-11-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm trying to quit myself lately.

Yeah, aren't you guys expecting? Later, QD.

trythefly
04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Sure are GD. Jessie quit when she found out she was preggo. I always told her that I would do it with her for support but I am a slackass. Yet another reason I want to quit is becuase I dont want my children to bury me at age 51 like I did my father...... :(

quickdodgeŽ
04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Yessir. If not for yourself, do it for them youngin's, dude. And my name is QD, assmangler. Lolol. Later, QD.

4dmin
04-11-2005, 12:08 PM
go buy a bunch of candy to chew on :goodjob:

trythefly
04-11-2005, 12:19 PM
GD - lol

Admin - I got something you can chew on right here buddy..... lol

quickdodgeŽ
04-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Woody, I have a pic for you in PETS section. Later, QD.

4dmin
04-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Admin - I got something you can chew on right here buddy..... lolit better be that cute girl your seeing b/c i told you i'm not gay ;)

trythefly
04-11-2005, 01:25 PM
lol your ghey dont lie mane.... LOL

JagerGirl
04-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Chew on ice... it takes the focus off the patch and gives you something to do... Go shopping, do housework.. something.

99SI
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I have been a nicotine addict for about 6years. 1 can of copenhagen a day. I saw some research that said the amount of nicotine in 1 can of copenhagen is equivalent to 3 packs of Marlboro reds. I believe it. I can't go 2-3 hours without wigging out. I just don't think the patch would be able to help me quit. Does anyone know about using the patch to quit smokeless tobacco? or know anyone who has tried?

speedracer41
04-11-2005, 03:17 PM
^^Same here, about 1 can of copenhagen a day. Been doing it for close to 10 yrs. Its 400 now and the cravings have definately subsided, but the withdrawl is killing me right now. The actual physical pain from inside my gut is what hurts the worst. Today is only the first day, so it can only get better I guess.

Jaimecbr900
04-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Sounds like the same withdrawals you go thru with cigarettes. It's both physical and mental. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't see why the patch wouldn't work with smokeless tobacco too. Nicotine is nicotine. Just different forms of getting it in.

trythefly
04-12-2005, 11:02 AM
So today is the day I really quit smoking. It hasnt been very bad until just now..... errrr I'm going to lunch. I am going to get fat as hell from all these thinmints & sunflower seeds. Gotta work out again tonight.....

Xrated O.G.
04-12-2005, 11:49 AM
I have quit so many damn times and sure enough something at work pisses me off so bad that I go get a pack. I blame it on work. Of course that's because my boss is sitting next to me reading this right now. lol..

speedracer41
04-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Yeah, your boss is sitting right next to me too.