PDA

View Full Version : Dallas (Southeastern Dragway) closed

HyPer50
01-08-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm sure most of you who care, are already aware, but Dallas dragstrip is closed for good now. They had there final little get together/goodbye for it today. Sucks to see a historical track like that go, just for a few more houses/shops to be built...

collins
01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
why'd it shut down?

HyPer50
01-09-2006, 06:06 PM
why'd it shut down?

It's been on the market for years. Just wasn't in a good place for a drag strip... too many ordinances since it's a residential area now.

Seymour222
01-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Zoning sheot? I've heard from a few people that part of the reason , Im sure only part, is that people around the area complain about noise. If this was the case, don't most people know that they are moving next to a track, where there will be noise. I believe it is a financial ordeal, possibly for upcoming developments and pressure from local gov't to do away with the track. I m not positive but I believe a famous "Petty" used to drag there when it was a 1/4 mile track. I think it sucks, I only got to race one night for four passes.

Big Baller
01-12-2006, 09:00 AM
On Feb. 28 1965, on a track in Dallas, Ga., the suspension on his left front broke and Petty's car went into the crowd. An eight-year-old boy was killed.

I found that in an article on line, I thought I remembered it being a little girl, but I cant remember for sure

HyPer50
01-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Zoning sheot? I've heard from a few people that part of the reason , Im sure only part, is that people around the area complain about noise. If this was the case, don't most people know that they are moving next to a track, where there will be noise. I believe it is a financial ordeal, possibly for upcoming developments and pressure from local gov't to do away with the track. I m not positive but I believe a famous "Petty" used to drag there when it was a 1/4 mile track. I think it sucks, I only got to race one night for four passes.

I'm not positive, but I believe part of the problem was that the current "owner" was unable to become the complete owner, due to if it was sold, he would have to be rezoned, and seeing as how it is now a residential area, there is noway they could have a track there... so somehow the track was sold. I really am unsure of how or why the track was sold, cause obviously Gene Fuller, the owner didn't want it to sell, but he didn't have much control over it. And ya, I agree that people knew when they moved into the area that the track was there.... it's one of, if not the oldest tracks around.... shoot, even my mom remembers going there back in her day to hang out.

KevinT707
01-13-2006, 01:16 AM
hmm really? I emailed them about a month ago & they told me that it was only a rumor. Would really suck if it did tho, cause its close.

HyPer50
01-14-2006, 08:46 PM
hmm really? I emailed them about a month ago & they told me that it was only a rumor. Would really suck if it did tho, cause its close.

Trust me, this isn't a rumor. If you drive by there, the southeastern dragway sign has already been taken down.