PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Header??

Brett
04-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Here is my question.... As of right now I have a ceramic coated header, Looks great, But because of how often I wash the motor to keep it in show shape, Its getting little dots of rust all over it, I have now learned that this is a common issue with a ceramic coated header.

My question is this..... If I went with a chrome one, how bad does the color change when the engine gets hot? Is this a better choice for a show car over ceramic? I dont want to get a chrome one and then it turn massive color and it end up not even looking like chrome anymore.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!!

Danny
04-10-2005, 08:58 PM
the change is notiacable brett. just buy a turbo kit, with an equal length mani that is chrome. trust, that will be plenty of show and go for your fat self. i am sure it you search, you can find pics of chrome headers after they change color.

Brett
04-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Not looking for a turbo...LOL. Just want to know if chrome makes it not a good idea for a car used for show.

Nittanys1
04-10-2005, 09:12 PM
you mean stainless steel?

Brett
04-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Most of the ones I have seen for sale are Stainless overlayed with Chrome.... But I did see a few that were just stainless, Will they change color if its just stainless?

Danny
04-10-2005, 09:42 PM
yes, stainless does still change color. I personally like the color when it changes.

Danny
04-10-2005, 09:45 PM
i am a big fan of manifold/header heat wrapping... but thats me, and you for a show car.. so i dont recomend it...lol

Nittanys1
04-10-2005, 09:55 PM
i like the stainless...i just had to buy a new header cuz honda broke it and didnt want to cover it.....i looked everywhere for a stainless one but they were either sold out or way over priced...

Danny
04-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Most of the ones I have seen for sale are Stainless overlayed with Chrome....
i dont think so brett.... that would be a pointless expense in my opinion, and the companies behalf and yours.

speedminded
04-11-2005, 06:10 PM
i dont think so brett.... that would be a pointless expense in my opinion, and the companies behalf and yours.more like they'll tell you anything to get you to buy the product, i will bet just about anything there is no way they are chroming stainless...

Go with stainless, it will eventually have gold-purple at the bends but nothing wrong with the way that looks.

green91
04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
header wrap usually causes the pipes to wear out faster and raises your EGTs

Danny
04-11-2005, 07:51 PM
glad to see somone eles views chromeing stainless the same way i do..

brett, go with a good header, with a good chrome or ceramic and you should have any probelems. i dont know what brand you have now, but ceramic coating doesnt just wipe off of a non-turbo car.

Danny
04-11-2005, 07:59 PM
header wrap usually causes the pipes to wear out faster and raises your EGTs

wear out faster, possible. show me some tests please.

raise you EGTS, yes, depending on how you look at it: Gas temp in combustion chamber, dont think it would raise it any if at all (which means no problem).

Granted, your EGT sensor would pick up a higher reading, DUH. isnt that the point of header wrap: to keep the heat inside the manifold and exhaust system. Thus, trapping heat in the exhaust (where its best put), keeps heat off of surrounding components. And heat is a form of what????... energy, and most people would like that energy going into spooling the turbo, not: raising intake temps, frying vacum lines, discoloring hoods, heating your radiatior even more (FWD)..... just my thoughts...

granted, i am a open minded kinda person, show some tests my way I and will be happy to no longer support header wrap, its cheaper with out the stuff anyway :)

Brett
04-11-2005, 08:59 PM
but ceramic coating doesnt just wipe off of a non-turbo car.

Wipe off? What do ya mean, My shit isnt wiping off, I just am getting little rust specs on it from all the times I have washed the motor, so I want to replace them

Danny
04-11-2005, 09:43 PM
i understand, but still.... that crap shouldnt just come off, is it a cheap header or somthing... those specs are from little chips in the coating i belive...dude, just go with high end chrome or stainless one (if u can find one, i have no clue).......