PDA

View Full Version : Brake Upgrade question

G20NEO
01-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I have a MAUi Blue 2002 Infiniti G20 sport. I am thinking about putting some crossdrilled rotors on it with some mettallic or carbon brake pads, then painiting the cailpers either red, black, or blue. But i was just wondering would this brake rotor upgrade be good for a daily driver car. i dont race at all, Let me know what i should do, i wanna put my money where it will benefit. I have read that the slotted rotors are good for racing, and the cross drilled are best for daily drivers, i mean they do have them on stock mercedes-benz, but i would just like some input from the Import Atlanta Fam.

Cool Cat Racing
01-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Cross drilled rotors work great on DD cars and so do slotted. For a DD car your going to get more performance change from pads than rotors unless you drive fairly hard on the street. I prefer slotted myself but thats after changing crossdrilled rotors because they were cracking between the holes. If you get cross drilled get good quality rotors or they will crack too, many of the cheap brands are nothing more than factory style rotors and fins with holes drilled in them and will crack after a brief period of time. For the money the best I've found are the Baer Eradispeeds or the Brembo cross drilleds. Get good pads like Hawk HPS pads and even on stock rotors you'll get better braking. I personally run the HPS pads and Brembo slotted rotors and have much shorter stopping and less dust than before.
Ryan
Ryan

skillzilla
01-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Cross drilled rotors work great on DD cars and so do slotted. For a DD car your going to get more performance change from pads than rotors unless you drive fairly hard on the street. I prefer slotted myself but thats after changing crossdrilled rotors because they were cracking between the holes. If you get cross drilled get good quality rotors or they will crack too, many of the cheap brands are nothing more than factory style rotors and fins with holes drilled in them and will crack after a brief period of time. For the money the best I've found are the Baer Eradispeeds or the Brembo cross drilleds. Get good pads like Hawk HPS pads and even on stock rotors you'll get better braking. I personally run the HPS pads and Brembo slotted rotors and have much shorter stopping and less dust than before.
Ryan
Ryan

Couldnt have said it better myself. Stay away from cross-drilled rotors, and u probably wont want ceramic pads for street use (they squeal a lot). Go with the setup he reccomended and you'll be happy.

Also, dont underestimate the value of GOOD brake fluid and general upkeep of your system. Maintain your fluid levels, and bleed your brakes about once every 6 months. This will keep the pedal nice n firm.

Cool Cat Racing
01-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I also use ATE super blue in my miata autocross car, everything else gets regular dot 4 synthetic fluid. ATE is a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion, it doesn't absorb moisture as fast as regular brake fluid so it lasts longer too.
Ryan

G20NEO
01-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Couldnt have said it better myself. Stay away from cross-drilled rotors, and u probably wont want ceramic pads for street use (they squeal a lot). Go with the setup he reccomended and you'll be happy.

Also, dont underestimate the value of GOOD brake fluid and general upkeep of your system. Maintain your fluid levels, and bleed your brakes about once every 6 months. This will keep the pedal nice n firm.

Thanks for the advice guys i have made a descion, to go with some HPS pads with O.E rotors since i dont race at all. although i did see some brembo rotors F&R on ebay for like $193 plus $45s/h. But i'm on a budget so i may be looking forward to that in the future, i am also looking into getting some better fluid and SS brake lines.

yudalicious
01-11-2006, 09:06 PM
1. ditto on what everyone else said. although personally I'd just stick w/ blank rotors, racing or not. I believe even in racing the rotors are drilled to save unsprung mass, today's pads don't outgas anymore.. and the slots shave the pad and make the surface "fresher". the difference vs. the cost is so insignificant, practically 0. Drilled/slotted rotors on high end performance cars are cast that way, whereas I think almost all aftermarket (unless they're super expensive) rotors are cast as blank rotors, then they are drilled, which weakens the rotor.
2. ATE super blue/type 200....if you do track days, if not, get valv syntec, avaialble at any auto store, best fluid availabe in your average auto store
3. your car is too new, don't get the lines and save some money, it's one of those mods that are.. I believe, more for bling, especially since your car is pretty new.

if you're in for a tire change, get better tires, that will help w/ braking tremendously as well.