PDA

View Full Version : Will I over power my sub?

Nismo
01-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Im looking to get a Infinity Kappa Perfect and I am wondering if I will blow it out sticking it on my Jl 500/1. The sub is rated at 350 rms and 1200 peak, So I think it could handle it, but i dont want to buy it and blow it to find out it cant take it. What do you all think. Im in the same boat with a jl 12 w3 aswell.

speedminded
01-05-2006, 10:27 AM
500 Max on the amp and the driver is 350 RMS? What's its max? You should be fine anyways, mine is 700 max with a 180rms driver (600 max) :tongue: i keep the amp at about 1/2 with 3/4 to max bass on the EQ with 3/4 to full sub output on the headunit and i don't get any distortion unless it's a square wave song or up above 20-25 on the volume (my infinity 6 1/2's start distorting above 20 so it doesn't ever go above that anyways)

jt money
01-05-2006, 10:43 AM
you should have no probmlems with that setup nismo. its ok to overpower your sub. its better than grossly underpowering it. im probably going to start a war on this one but here goes. mostly what happens with blown subs is underpowering and distortion. that is when you bottom out the voicecoil and get perminent damage. just make sure you gain is at the right level (not to hot dont want to clip your amp) and you be fine.

Nismo
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
K, its 500rms though not peak

BanginJimmy
01-05-2006, 04:15 PM
that will be just fine on the sub. Just make sure you have your gains set properly, dont use any bass boost or go crazy with the volume knob.

underpowering a sub does not blow it. People that dont properly set gains, go crazy with the volume knob and add bass boost blow subs. Clipping the amp and/or head unit is why subs are mostly blown.

Boosted S60R
01-05-2006, 04:20 PM
it should be fine man

jt money
01-06-2006, 11:26 AM
that will be just fine on the sub. Just make sure you have your gains set properly, dont use any bass boost or go crazy with the volume knob.

underpowering a sub does not blow it. People that dont properly set gains, go crazy with the volume knob and add bass boost blow subs. Clipping the amp and/or head unit is why subs are mostly blown. i know all bout clipping and agree. but clipping can be induced faster if the amp is plain not able to push the wattage the large sub needs.

BanginJimmy
01-06-2006, 02:04 PM
i know all bout clipping and agree. but clipping can be induced faster if the amp is plain not able to push the wattage the large sub needs.

everything else being equal the amp is going to clip at the same time no matter what sub is hooked up to it.