PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Choices

deep spot is lame
04-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm not trying to flame anyone(for once). But why is it that everyone is getting 20g's for there STI's. It seems to me that there are far better turbo choices out there. For example FP Green, GT30R, GT32, GT35R. The Green and the GT30R both spool as fast or in the case of the GT30R faster than a 20g and both make as much or more midrange and topend power.

Matt

Trey
04-10-2005, 08:21 AM
20g is usually cheaper or the same price and puts out as much if not a lil more than the FP Green with PUMP GAS and it bolts right on and is water and oil cooled. FP is only oil cooled. Aren't the GT series rotated? Another reason not to get those besides money. Everyone ain't rich. :D

20g info:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741611

FP info (note the 92 octane numbers):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745893

deep spot is lame
04-10-2005, 03:35 PM
The GT30R is really about the same price when you take into account the fact that you have to buy an upipe and downpipe anyway.

I know Batlground is working on a kit that should be available soon, maybe Dan will chime in with a little more info on the price. I know they have several people lined up for it already.

I know the 20g is a good turbo, I loved my 18g.

FP makes a hell of a turbo, we made more power with that 18g than anyone else in Georgia has, so it must be one hell of a turbo for a bolt on.

I just think there are alot better options out there now that rotated mount kits are coming down in price.

Matt

Trey
04-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Nice.

Choices are always a good thing. :D

Looks like the GT30R is the same price at $1350

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-005&Category_Code=GRT

Add the custom DP and UP and it'll run you a lil more for roughly the same hp on pump gas.

deep spot is lame
04-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Thats way too much for that turbo, I dont live in East Cobb, I'm not at liberty to discuss what I paid for my turbo but you can bet your ass it wasnt even close to that.

I dont know what the GT30R makes on an STI, but I'm willing to bet that you can make way more hp with it on pump gas than you can with a 20g.

Hell were shooting for 330hp-350hp on pump gas on our 2.0 liter.

But hey, Thats how we roll

Again, just my opinion. I'm not trying to start a brawl(seriously I'm not).

Big Baller
04-11-2005, 01:28 AM
Just talked to Dan,

You now have a choice, Bolt on GT30R turbo kit for the wrx and Sti $2000.

GT35R upgrade available.

Crazy cheap, for you Ballers on a budget

Peace
The Big Baller

This aint no play time fun shop.

WRX_STi
04-11-2005, 08:13 AM
People are going with the 20g's on the Sti for the following reason:
1. With a bigger turbo you have to rotate it build the piping and for the power you are going to want to do front mount. AZ scoobie is doing gt35r kits for $3000. That basically the same price as BG but with a front mount added.
2. With the 20g you get fairly good power and you don't sacrifice longevity of the motor as much as you would with the bigger hp numbers of a bigger turbo. Sure AZ scoobie is a hell of a tuner and he has put 526 whp to the stock Sti block and its still holding. But I do not know for how long. It's definately more of a gamble than a 20 g is though.
3. With a 20g you can save money and keep the top mount. It's on the border for the effiency of the topmount probably though. So it is still cheaper.
4. Lag of the 20g is about the same lag of a stock evo. Not noticable at all and great for auto crossing and stuff. Which is what most of the suby guys do.

Dan

Big Baller
04-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Funny, A APS topmount is out of its efficency range with an 18g on a 2.0.

I can imagine how the much smaller sti topmount is efficent with a 20g.

The Kingpin Kit is $3800 without a intercooler, the intercooler is $950 extra.

So thats 1800 extra for the kingpin kit, Ive seen the pics its not that nice.

Matt

Big Baller
04-11-2005, 04:01 PM
The subaru community is by far the biggest bunch of punks when it comes to making power. You know how many times I have heard, Your gonna blow up that motor or your gonna break that tranny. That shits so weak. Welcome to making horsepower.

Shit BREAKS then you fix it.

Matt

Trey
04-12-2005, 10:06 PM
I'd like to see the numbers on that bolt-in Gt30 from BG.

When you say "bolt-in" does that mean it has a subie style flange and is truly a bolt-in or is BG including the custom UP and DP for $2K?

If you're shooting for 330-350, the 20g does that and doesn't need any other "stuff" to fit easily. You can't beat that for $1350-1500 (retail) ;)

Oh and driving on tracks with turns is more fun IMO. :D

edit:

STi with a GT30R dyno:

http://www.staticxmotorsports.com/GT30R/dyno.JPG

The kit $3000

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20986&page=1&pp=25

Not bad but still alot of bones. :D

Big Baller
04-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah were shooting for 330-350hp on pump gas with a 2.0 liter, you cant get anywhere close to that with a 20g.

It also spools as fast of faster than a 20g, it does not have a suby style flange, that is the problem with the bolt on gt30s for subarus to get them to fit in the available space you have to make too many compromises.

Dan builds a custom adapter so that you can use your upipe, with an STI theres really no reason to make a whole new upipe.

Trey
04-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Nice! Post some numbers and pretty pics when you guys get it ready. :D

FNR32
04-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Just talked to Dan,

You now have a choice, Bolt on GT30R turbo kit for the wrx and Sti $2000.

GT35R upgrade available.

Crazy cheap, for you Ballers on a budget

Peace
The Big Baller

This aint no play time fun shop.
Any link or anymore info on that kit?

Tracer
04-13-2005, 08:07 PM
If you want more info about that kit call Batlground. 770-319-9605
They are working on a kit for me right now. But I'm going with the GT35R custom setup.

Big Baller
04-13-2005, 11:22 PM
If you want info on the kit, you should probally hit up Dan via email.

I think its [email protected]

Matt