PDA

View Full Version : Misc Online Gaming? How to stop Lag?

ChnkyLao
01-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Is there anyway to make my computer faster(you know, no lag) for online gaming. I have a new computer and DSL and yet i still lag online.

is there anything i can do or buy to stop the lag?

Thanks for any info ppl

Oh yeah this is the computer I have. The computer i have is called a HP Pavilion a1120n Here is some specs below and a link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7438828&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01172&id=1124431830747

I bought this computer last summer.

ChnkyLao
01-02-2006, 07:17 PM
oh yeah i have the $30 a month Dsl you still connect to the phone line.

I was just woundering why when i play starcraft it is slow, but when i surf the internet it is very fast?

Spyder
01-02-2006, 07:25 PM
DSL connects thru a phone line, thats just how it works.

as far as making a game have less lag there are a few things you can do.

Buy a REAL video car, the one on the link you posted is an integrated card so it sucks, even if it is a 256meg card.

You only have 512 meg of memory. Which again sucks.

What game are you trying to play in what resolution? Try to lower down the details some... it may help..

4dmin
01-02-2006, 09:33 PM
get a router if you don't already have one... it will keep your connection a little more stable, i would also make sure your video card/memory is up to par

ironchef
01-02-2006, 09:49 PM
What kind of lag are you experiencing, graphical or internet lag? Once you know which its easier to target the problem and fix it.

MachNU
01-02-2006, 09:49 PM
get a router if you don't already have one... it will keep your connection a little more stable, i would also make sure your video card/memory is up to par

Take this from a Master of Online gaming, a router will really make you lag more. Also most times with game lag, it all comes down to three simple things...

1. your video card power, how well it can do
2. your memory

and the biggest one...

3. where the server for the online game is located, like if your playing a SOE afliated game, and you live here you will lag more becuase all of SOE's games are located out in San Antonio, Cali.

But if you get a better video card and more memory you should do a bit better, but it will all really depend where the server for the game is located.

4dmin
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Take this from a Master of Online gaming, a router will really make you lag more. Also most times with game lag, it all comes down to three simple things...

1. your video card power, how well it can do
2. your memory

and the biggest one...

3. where the server for the online game is located, like if your playing a SOE afliated game, and you live here you will lag more becuase all of SOE's games are located out in San Antonio, Cali.

But if you get a better video card and more memory you should do a bit better, but it will all really depend where the server for the game is located.

if i'm not mistaken he did say he was using a DSL connection which would mean possibly a PPPOE connection, so he may have a login process and software by bellsouth, whoever, etc... that software is a joke as well as loging... getting a router is 100X better than using software to connect to your ISP. ;)

ChnkyLao
01-02-2006, 11:47 PM
if i'm not mistaken he did say he was using a DSL connection which would mean possibly a PPPOE connection, so he may have a login process and software by bellsouth, whoever, etc... that software is a joke as well as loging... getting a router is 100X better than using software to connect to your ISP. ;)

i dont have to log on or anything i just have to click on internet explorer and im on.

and for the lag its just slow like when i play warcraft or starcraft its just slow. My guy or units dont move fast. the whole game is slow because of me and that usually pisses everyone else off.

Its like wen i tell a guy to go somewhere he moves slowly, it shows a step then kindof pauses then moves a little bit.

i thought DSL was supposed to be fast. And i cant get cable because it dos't come to my area so im looking for other options.

ChnkyLao
01-03-2006, 12:03 AM
o ya i have attel dsl, and what about a wireless router

ChnkyLao
01-03-2006, 12:06 AM
video cards are expensive can anyone recommend one under $100

4dmin
01-03-2006, 08:04 AM
i wouldn't do it on a wireless connection, get any ati chipset card w/ 128+mb of ram you will me fine... i would definately get a router if your currently dont have one.

also scan your box for spyware/virus make sure you have the most updated clients for your games, all win patches, and latest vid card drivers. that should do it.

and by the way starcraft should never be slow unless you have a shitty connection or the server sux balls ;) (that game came out like 10 years ago and runs perfectly on shitty specs)

1439/2000
01-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Make sure you or nobody else is downloading off your connection too.

ChnkyLao
01-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Make sure you or nobody else is downloading off your connection too.

how you do that?

Is the router the little black box i connect te phone line ythrought and then connect the little black box connects to the computer througth the ethernet cable? If so i have one.

i dont know wats rong i can click on a site and it instantly pops ip, and i can surf very fast, but when i try to play online its slow.

might be the video card.

Nemesis
01-03-2006, 12:36 PM
I finally got a 56k modem last night. Its a sweet upgrade from my 28.8k. USRobotics X2 technology biatches. Zero lag playing multiplayer solitaire.

4dmin
01-03-2006, 01:12 PM
how you do that?

Is the router the little black box i connect te phone line ythrought and then connect the little black box connects to the computer througth the ethernet cable? If so i have one.

i dont know wats rong i can click on a site and it instantly pops ip, and i can surf very fast, but when i try to play online its slow.

might be the video card.

man your video card isn't going to make star craft play slow unless you are using onboard video and you have 64mb of ram... so w/ a new computer you are fine... you may be getting bad connections connection to servers. the black box going into your phone line that you are connected to is more than likely your modem... a router will have multiple ports in the back of it.

go to http://performance.toast.net/ post up what you get.

SilverStoneZ
01-03-2006, 02:10 PM
DSL connects thru a phone line, thats just how it works.

Would a fiber line also be considered a phone line cause my DSL used no modem and connected strait to a fiber line. so the connection was always active

ChnkyLao
01-03-2006, 04:33 PM
man your video card isn't going to make star craft play slow unless you are using onboard video and you have 64mb of ram... so w/ a new computer you are fine... you may be getting bad connections connection to servers. the black box going into your phone line that you are connected to is more than likely your modem... a router will have multiple ports in the back of it.

go to http://performance.toast.net/ post up what you get.

You uploaded 65,175 bytes in 1 seconds. Your upload speed is 521 kbps.

^^thats my upload

ChnkyLao
01-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Loaded 414,161 bytes in 2.922 seconds from Open Hosting (UK) server.

Loaded 414,161 bytes in 2.875 seconds from ADDR.com server.

Loaded 414,161 bytes in 2.937 seconds from OnSpeed (UK) server.

Loaded 1,396,595 bytes in 0.266 seconds from Interland server.

Loaded 1,396,595 bytes in 8.937 seconds from Yahoo! server.

Loaded 1,396,595 bytes in 8.938 seconds from Host Rocket server.

Loaded 1,396,595 bytes in 8.859 seconds from Lunar Pages server.

ChnkyLao
01-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Loaded 1,396,595 bytes in 9.109 seconds from Open Hosting (UK) server.

Your Results: 1227 Kb
Adelphia: 1338 Kb
Charter: 1545 Kb
Avg. Results: 1700 Kb
Rogers: 1747 Kb
Comcast: 1968 Kb
Ntli: 4007 Kb

^^will that do

ChnkyLao
01-03-2006, 04:41 PM
ok now that i know i dont have a router just a modem, NEW QUESTION will a router help in any way?

4dmin
01-04-2006, 08:02 AM
^ yes that is what i've been saying... a router is going to keep the signal good, it may fix your situation it may not, but i would certainly suggest it they are only like $25+ depending on what you get, i suggest getting any linksys system (bestbuy, circuit city, etc)

chrisdavis
01-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Check your ping on the server that you play on. Once we know that we can narrow it down to your connection to the server or a hardware issue.

ChnkyLao
01-05-2006, 06:11 PM
wats ping?

chrisdavis
01-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Ping is how fast your comp recieves info from a server. The lower the ping the better