PDA

View Full Version : Misc Ram

Brut
01-01-2006, 12:25 AM
Im trying to install WoW onto my computer and it says I dont have enough ram. The min requires 256mb of ram and on my computer the stickers on it says that the computer has 256mb of ram. WTF why does it say it doesn't have enough when the sticker says it does? :mad: :confused:

HyPer50
01-01-2006, 12:43 AM
dont know... but i'd suggest you upgrade anyways. 256mb isn't shit nowdays... i was at 1024mb and I ended up upgrading cause it was getting a bit choppy at times... particularly in ironforge (in WoW)... Plus ram is cheap as shit now.. I just boug another gig of kingston ram from zipzoomfly for $100 with free 2 day shipping.

chrisdavis
01-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Im trying to install WoW onto my computer and it says I dont have enough ram. The min requires 256mb of ram and on my computer the stickers on it says that the computer has 256mb of ram. WTF why does it say it doesn't have enough when the sticker says it does? :mad: :confused:

Do you have a graphics card or do you have onboard video? If you have onboard video it shares your RAM. Let's say you have onboard video that is using 64mb of RAM. Istead of having all 256mb of your RAM you would only have 192mb of RAM available to you for your system memory. Like Hyper said RAM is cheap nowadays. You can get a 512mb stock at Fry's for less than fourty bucks after that mail in rebate.

Brut
01-01-2006, 01:33 AM
Thx for the help but I have no clue wtf u guys are talking about. I guess ill but some sticks of memory and bring it buy a computer repair place and have them put it in.

HyPer50
01-01-2006, 02:49 AM
Thx for the help but I have no clue wtf u guys are talking about. I guess ill but some sticks of memory and bring it buy a computer repair place and have them put it in.

Well... if you have no clue, you might wanna stop by the computer place first, and make sure you are buying the correct type of RAM... there are alot of different types.

Jdmvtecy0
01-02-2006, 07:30 PM
easy install no need for a computer store

4dmin
01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
no need to take it somewhere just do it yourself... now i would say bump up your virtual memory ;)

Brut
07-26-2006, 01:50 PM
I know this is a old thread I made. How do I find out what type of ram I have? Does it have a sticker on the side of the stick that says it. I need the ram i installed WoW and I have been playing it and I lag on the game kinda alot. Also how do I increase my virtual memory because my computer keeps saying its running low on virtual memory and it doing some shit to expand it. Reps will be given for good info. ;)

4dmin
07-26-2006, 03:33 PM
if you need to buy ram just go to compusa/micro center and ask a salesman... its either Sdram/DDR more then likely

Allshow97
07-26-2006, 07:49 PM

Ok lemme guess... You either have one of three machines... An HP, a Compaq, or an E-Machine all three of which nine times out of ten have onboard video. Yes your computer physically does have a single stick of 256mb RAM but 32Mb of that is being consumed by your onboard video. Unfortunately even if you do upgrade your RAM may find you need some help in the video department. Your best best would be to get a decent video card upgrade providing your machine has an AGP or PCI-X slot and another 256mb RAM this will relieve your comp from rendering the massive world of WoW from the onboard video and will give you a boost to not only play WoW but also other games.

GeForce FX 6200 are dirt cheap these days and so is RAM. Best bet is http://www.newegg.com

Hope this helped,
-Allshow97

SampaGuy
07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
also make sure u close any other program that is running while ur playing games, it will help

blacknightteg
07-26-2006, 11:18 PM
it means your computer sucks a left hairy testicle and a half........

Brut
07-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Ok lemme guess... You either have one of three machines... An HP, a Compaq, or an E-Machine all three of which nine times out of ten have onboard video. Yes your computer physically does have a single stick of 256mb RAM but 32Mb of that is being consumed by your onboard video. Unfortunately even if you do upgrade your RAM may find you need some help in the video department. Your best best would be to get a decent video card upgrade providing your machine has an AGP or PCI-X slot and another 256mb RAM this will relieve your comp from rendering the massive world of WoW from the onboard video and will give you a boost to not only play WoW but also other games.

GeForce FX 6200 are dirt cheap these days and so is RAM. Best bet is http://www.newegg.com

Hope this helped,
-Allshow97
Your good I have a deceiving bastard computer made by compaq. I guess I do have a on oard graphics card because it uses part of my 256mb of ram and it says I only have 192. My computer has AGP slots but it doesnt have ant PCI-X slot. So I guess I'll buy that GeFORce FX 6200 and some ram then. +111111111111 if I could give that much

if you need to buy ram just go to compusa/micro center and ask a salesman... its either Sdram/DDR more then likely
I'll take a pic of the inside of my computer and let you guys figuer it out lol. +1You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to admin again.

also make sure u close any other program that is running while ur playing games, it will help
I need to do that I leave msn messenger open and all, when I'm playing the game.+1

it means your computer sucks a left hairy testicle and a half........
I know that already.

Allshow97
07-27-2006, 10:52 AM
More than likely it's gonna be DDR Ram probably PC2700 So either get another stick of PC2700 or PC3200 (Cause it will step down) and you should be good to go. You will notice a major difference with the added ram, illeviation of the video card, and a better graphics processor to boot. Glad we could help, now you may succumb yourself to the electronic crack that is also known as WoW!