PDA

View Full Version : how to do the timing on b18b1?

Schugg
12-30-2005, 09:15 AM
i got my ls motor about ready to put in, i just need to get the new timing belt on and the timing right. is there any websites that can give me some pretty good intructions on what to do? or can anyone here tell me? right now there is no timing belt on it. and i know i have to get the crank pull to top dead center or something, and the 2 cam gears pointing up. i was told to take the spark plug out of the first piston cylinder stick a rod in it and turn the crank till the rod goes up all the way. then line up the 2 cam gears? im just checking for a more descriptive way. ill probably do it tonight when i get off work

BTEC
12-30-2005, 09:20 AM
cam gears have arrows iin them that say up, get them as close as possible. Then look and the closest point where the 2 gears almost touch and u should have 1 little groove in each gear. Get theose 2 grooves lined up with eachother.....somebody else explain the crank pulley or get a haynes manual, im tired of thinking and typing. ill be back later.

BTEC
12-30-2005, 09:29 AM
ok im back. the timing gear for the crank has a groove in it and the is a upside down triangle on the oil pump, line the groove in the crank gear up with the mark on the oil pump. when u put eveerything back together with the crank pulley and the lower timing cover on, u should see the 2 grooves in the cames perfectly lined up like (--)
and the white mark on the crank pulley should be lined up with the raised groove on the black timing cover.

Schugg
12-30-2005, 07:06 PM
thats all there is to it? i kinda figured that just from looking at the markings on the oil pump, cover, and all that. but i was just making sure! thanks.

Schugg
12-30-2005, 07:11 PM
cam gears have arrows iin them that say up, get them as close as possible. Then look and the closest point where the 2 gears almost touch and u should have 1 little groove in each gear. Get theose 2 grooves lined up with eachother.....somebody else explain the crank pulley or get a haynes manual, im tired of thinking and typing. ill be back later.

as for this to get those as close to up at possible cant you take off the valve cover. and there is a hole above each cam in the little thing that holds it down closest to the cam gears. then you just take a nail or something the same size as the hole stick it through there, then into the hole that is in the cam when it is in the up position.

or does doing that just make it alot easier?

BTEC
12-31-2005, 06:59 AM
as for this to get those as close to up at possible cant you take off the valve cover. and there is a hole above each cam in the little thing that holds it down closest to the cam gears. then you just take a nail or something the same size as the hole stick it through there, then into the hole that is in the cam when it is in the up position.

or does doing that just make it alot easier?
yeah the holes are there but i never use them bc i sometimes need one of the cams to move just a tab bit one way or the other so the blet can slide on and with something in those holes the cams aint going ne where. U can try it either way but i personally dnt like using those lil holes. And yes thats all it is to it.

Schugg
12-31-2005, 07:58 AM
yah i kinda figured one may need to move a little just to get the belt on right sometimes. but im probably going to go do it before i goto work. thanks

Schugg
12-31-2005, 04:54 PM
got it done! it looked like i did it almost perfect.....ill find out when i get the motor in and try to start it though. thanks

sirhatch1030
12-31-2005, 05:43 PM
if the motors is out of the car ill do it for 40$ lmk