PDA

View Full Version : Misc BF2 Special Forces....

AznTraitor
12-28-2005, 06:18 PM
it's not too shabby of a expansion pack....if you liked just regular BF2, then you'll love the little add on's.....new'er weapons....you also now have tear gas, and flash grenades, gas masks, night vision, and a grappling hook (really cool) and a zip line.

couple new vehicles....not really my cup of tea, because I'm more of a foot soldier.

on the maps where it's dark....it's dark, like 0 visibilty without NV...and it's NV only gives you limited view too.

if you play single player mode, AI seems a little more beefed up...they pretty much do a bounding manuever to pretty much keep you pinned down.

my favorite new addition is the grappling hook....you can scale buildings, climb mountains and walls....or you can scale down the side of them, or if you have gotten to a vantage point and you have men below, you can drop the grappling hook line, so they can climb up to you.

overall, I think it was a good investment....online play has been okay...I guess not many people have the expansion pack or are still playing on the regular BF2 servers

mp5o
12-28-2005, 06:24 PM
^Maybe if I had the extra cash laying around... And my pc could ran BF2 well. I'd buy it.

Btw... The setup is...

P4 2.66ghz, 768mb ram, Nvidia Geforce FX 5200

Last time I ran it, I had 256mb ram... And it ran like shit... I recently installed a plantium shielded pc3200 512mb ram card.... Think it'll run good now?

AznTraitor
12-28-2005, 06:29 PM
^Maybe if I had the extra cash laying around... And my pc could ran BF2 well. I'd buy it.

Btw... The setup is...

P4 2.66ghz, 768mb ram, Nvidia Geforce FX 5200

Last time I ran it, I had 256mb ram... And it ran like shit... I recently installed a plantium shielded pc3200 512mb ram card.... Think it'll run good now?

you need a new card, really....

BF2 series was setup to run with Nvidia Geforce 6**** series at least.

not to say the 5200 is bad, but it's a little outdated now...you can run it, my cousin does with min settings and it gets the job done. So now you have the 256 + 512? it should be able to run for you...just make sure you have all the settings set at low, which isnt that bad....my cousin has pretty much your exact setup only he has 512mb or ram, and he doesnt seem to have any troubles.

mp5o
12-28-2005, 06:46 PM
^Got any reccomendations for a decent card? Something under 100 LOL...Or not, just something w/ a nice price:goodness ratio.

AznTraitor
12-28-2005, 07:07 PM
your budget is a little tight, but I can understand that feeling.

just go with eVGA Geforce 6600 LE AGP 256MB

www.newegg.com has it for $98 bucks which is a pretty good deal considering most places run them at $109-165

here's a direct link for you....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130262&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=14-130-262

I'm gonna check tigerdirect and pricewatch to see if you can save a few more bucks here and there, but this is a good card, and for the money, it cant be beat unless you happen upon a used card from a hardcore gamer who is bumping up to a $600-800 card

AznTraitor
12-28-2005, 07:11 PM
that's the best deal for that card....tiger had the 6200 series at $105, and I couldnt find the 6600 on their website, and pricewatch had them from $109-134

so, $98 for a video card aint that bad at all, shipping will probably run you anywhere from $10-14....so you are just a tad bit over the $100 mark, but that's only because of shipping ;)

AznTraitor
12-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Does that come w/ a/v in/out? I want to run the 360 on my monitor lol.

unfortunately it doesnt....good god man, what kind of monitor do you have that you want to run your 360 on??

HyPer50
12-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Just bought an extra gig of ram, so I'll be at 2gig now and a radeon x800 pro 256mb card to replace my old 9800 128mb card... if BF2 is actually playable with these upgrades, I'll buy it.. if not, the game will just sit on my hard drive forever.

AznTraitor
12-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Just bought an extra gig of ram, so I'll be at 2gig now and a radeon x800 pro 256mb card to replace my old 9800 128mb card... if BF2 is actually playable with these upgrades, I'll buy it.. if not, the game will just sit on my hard drive forever.

doesnt sound like you should have any problems...

I thought it was already running for you?

HyPer50
12-29-2005, 03:37 PM
It runs, but only if I'm on a 32 or less player server. if i try and play on a 64 i get lagged to shit... and even on the smaller servers I am too twitchy to snipe effectively.

JoeCoolinATL
12-29-2005, 04:05 PM
for bf/bfsf youre going to need at least 1 gig to run effectively. i use at least 1-1.5 if not 2 gigs in all my towers. soon to be 4 gigs in my other tower :)
2 processors + 4 gigs in a tower with a nice vid card= bf2=gold.

im always playing, usually under
[OT]Joecoolinatl

AznTraitor
12-29-2005, 04:12 PM
It runs, but only if I'm on a 32 or less player server. if i try and play on a 64 i get lagged to shit... and even on the smaller servers I am too twitchy to snipe effectively.

damn son, every 64+ server I play on is laggy....you gotta remeber, there are people out there with shitty ass connections which bogs down the game and the server tries to boost up the server but fails because it cant help everyone...

64 is too much anyways...I like the 32 sized maps, it's the most effective in player to area size, because in the 64ppl maps, you cant control every point and it's too spotty, and everyone and there mother is a sniper so at times you cant even approach a control point!

the other night I was playing on a 64player map and I shit you not, when you got into sniper zoom, you would see like 15 snipers just laying around the area taking pot shots at anything that moved, and in all honesty that makes the game gay as shit....especially when you have the snipers who camp out near a spawn area and just take you out everytime you get back in the game...

hopefully my buddies server will be back up soon and I'll have him invite you in...it's a good strong server and no one is a jackass...

AznTraitor
12-29-2005, 04:13 PM
for bf/bfsf youre going to need at least 1 gig to run effectively. i use at least 1-1.5 if not 2 gigs in all my towers. soon to be 4 gigs in my other tower :)
2 processors + 4 gigs in a tower with a nice vid card= bf2=gold.

im always playing, usually under
[OT]Joecoolinatl

haha you're in a "clan" and or "team", toolbag.....

I'm a lone wolf, I play for myself, bitches!

RandomGuy
01-01-2006, 03:55 AM
the 6600 is a greatly priced card... but honestly dude... try it out... it doesn't look bad at ALL even on lowest settings...
My systems aren't much beefier than yours... but with my slightly beefier video card I pushed half life 2 to max settings without problems. I pushed doom3/quake pretty high up also
P4 2.8 and AMD 3200+
1gb ram corsair XMS both
Radeon 9700 Pro, radeon 9250 pro (i switch and swap lol)

but seriously ur system isnt bad at all... just get a video card and you can run top notch shit.... but honestly ... (well unless you can justify spending 100bux on 1 game...) low-detail mode doesnt look bad at ALLL.. I think "net works" at discover mills runs 5200's... either that or 5700's.... dont remember

but check it out... the low detail mode doesn't look bad at all. If it were an ATI card... turning up AA and AF gives more clarity on BF2 and HL2 and also keeps the framerate up... but for 100 bux the 6600 is the way to go... mate that with a zalman copper fan and you're set you can do some major overclocking on the 6600