PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods E-Cutout+stock exhaust(Or quiet after-market) VS. 3 inch cat back

mp5o
12-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Well heres the scenario. In my hands, I have a 3indp w/2.5inch exhaust flange. I'd like to keep my exhaust fairly quiet. No louder than let's say an apexi ws or rsr exmag

I've talked Vtecckidd about the 3inch catback and they offer a pretty good deal.

I've also seen the prices of some e-cutouts and they're not so expensive either....

The problem w/going w/the 3inch catback would be the noise. Although a resonator might help. I cant help but think it's still going to be annoyingly loud.

And about the e-cutout.... What if I wanted the car tuned w/the cutout open? Im sure no shop would sit there and tune w/exhaust gases coming up from underneath the car.

Not sure what I'm looking for by posting this... Maybe just some personal experience from both. Some pro's/con's. Any educated input would be helpful.

1/4Mile
12-27-2005, 08:53 PM
None of the above. The best muffler in the world is a Big turbo. Turbo cars a usually quieter. No but for real i have a 3in custom Apexi N1 exhuast half way through I have a "Domestic" Imco muffler with 3in inlet and outlet. I chose the Imco because that have 4in baffles inside and Flowmasters only have 3in baffles in. They sound very much alike on v8's. And for the sound on my civic..... it's hot!!!!! Its lower pitch and deep but soothing, like a cross between a 350z and rx8 but still honda. No weedwacker, no loud bumble bee sound and very quiet in cabin.:goodjob: :goodjob:

D16Civic
12-28-2005, 01:23 AM
Ive seen mainstream tune cars w/ e cutouts and open downpipes before i believe (dont take my word on that tho), just have some fans running to blow the exhaust gases outside, not a big deal.

Ive heard some 3 in exhaust turbo cars as well and they really arnt as loud as you would think. Shoot ive seen a civic that has 3 in. all the way back w/ no muffler and its really not that loud. Of course, when you get on it, its gonna get kinda loud no matter what, thats expected, but it would be even louder w/ the e-cutout. Plus with the e-cutout, u will lose power during normal driving so id say just go w/ the 3in.

scttydb411
12-28-2005, 02:12 PM
i've tuned open header at mainstream no prob...we just set the fans up and you're ok. i've got 3" no muffler and resonator only and it's fine w/ the turbo. about as loud...possibly quieter than it was when i was n/a w/ the greddy evo, i/h/e.

ct9a gsr
12-29-2005, 01:10 AM
The purpose of a cutout is to eliminate as much back pressure from the exhaust system as early as possible. Forced induction applications benifit from as little back pressure as possible. N/A cars are not the same as some amount of back pressure causes a gain in power... mostly torque. I'd suggest against the e-cutout idea unless you're going to be boosted sometime.

I've never seen a shop have a problem tuning a car with a cutout... it just gets insanely loud.

mp5o
12-29-2005, 10:45 AM
The purpose of a cutout is to eliminate as much back pressure from the exhaust system as early as possible. Forced induction applications benifit from as little back pressure as possible. N/A cars are not the same as some amount of back pressure causes a gain in power... mostly torque. I'd suggest against the e-cutout idea unless you're going to be boosted sometime.

I've never seen a shop have a problem tuning a car with a cutout... it just gets insanely loud.

Lol, yea... There's a reason I posted this in forced induction. I will be boosted soon.