PDA

View Full Version : Fry's Electronics: Pro's and Con's?

Lower4
12-26-2005, 02:53 PM
I have an interview set for this wednesday, does anyone know if this is really a good place to work at or no? Anyone know the pay rate? Thanks.

IntegraXTR
12-26-2005, 03:01 PM
I have an interview set for this wednesday, does anyone know if this is really a good place to work at or no? Anyone know the pay rate? Thanks.

no but if its off commission then you're screwed, their prices suck, I rather just go to best buy or brandsmart, the one off pleasant hill by the mall is always dead.

Lower4
12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
I had a job offered to me at Best Buy but didn't take it. It was some lowly computer sales position that had nothing to look forward to in. Best Buy=B.S.

IntegraXTR
12-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I had a job offered to me at Best Buy but didn't take it. It was some lowly computer sales position that had nothing to look forward to in. Best Buy=B.S.

I would agree, I worked at the southlake location for about 3 months, its pointless, always worried about fukin shrink and inventory, a manager forever on your ass, stupid 7am store meetings, and the pay sucks

RandomGuy
12-26-2005, 04:11 PM
well eric, didnt i tell you BB= sux
thats not always the case you know if ur needing a secure job and what not.

Fry's isn't corporate like best buy, they can fire/hire your ass no questions asked. Best buy on the other hand has policies to abide by. So say the manager doesnt like you, you're gone. Oh yeah one of my close homeboys is the supervisor of the computer department... let me know if I can help you along.

gtikid
12-26-2005, 04:33 PM
I have A LOT of friends that work at Fry's and they seem to love it. Their pay is awesome b/c it's commission and a lot of people go there. So you will make a lot of money, especially if during the holidays. I had a friend who was a cashier there and was making an average of $14/hr.

Now, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER work at Best Buy. I do not know how much i can stress that. I don't recommend anyone working at Best Buy. I guarantee you that will be the shittiest job you will ever have, plus the pay sucks big elephant balls.

Circuit City, pays A LOT better than Best Buy, BUT, Circuit City is pretty much trying to copy EVERYTHING from Best Buy. You have no idea how much CC tries to be like BB.

I've worked at CC and BB. I liked CC a lot more
:goodjob:

gtikid
12-26-2005, 04:34 PM
well eric, didnt i tell you BB= sux
thats not always the case you know if ur needing a secure job and what not.

Fry's isn't corporate like best buy, they can fire/hire your ass no questions asked. Best buy on the other hand has policies to abide by. So say the manager doesnt like you, you're gone. Oh yeah one of my close homeboys is the supervisor of the computer department... let me know if I can help you along.

We're in Georgia. You can get fired for any reason at all ANYWHERE. It's the law

Lower4
12-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the good heads up guys...imma look forward to wednesday now =)

Tuan
12-26-2005, 09:38 PM
i have couple fiends that work at best buy eric and they say they get payed pretty well. I like best buy cuz the pay me well and be honest i dun think its all that bad. Plus u get great discounts on shit. Another cool think about working at best buy for a good period of time is that it looks good on future job apllications.

Lower4
12-26-2005, 09:43 PM
hmm, i need a job at best buy pleasant hill then ;)

RandomGuy
12-26-2005, 10:10 PM
We're in Georgia. You can get fired for any reason at all ANYWHERE. It's the law
really? I thought it had to be on the list of "reasons to fire" and shit... like if u get written up 3 times for the same thing. If you just straight up suck, they want to fire you, but can't so then they'll write you up on stupid shit and stupid shit til you get fired.... Thats just from what I heard when I worked there... they talked MAD shit about the differences of Best Buy and Fry's when Fry's was about to open up... even so mad people went over to frys and are still there....
Just wonderin, Tuan are you a senior yet?

thinkfast®
12-26-2005, 10:25 PM
does Frys give sweet discounts?

Repost Squintz
12-26-2005, 10:32 PM
does Frys give sweet discounts?
lol no :lmfao:

Lower4
12-26-2005, 10:32 PM
I hope =)

Repost Squintz
12-26-2005, 10:35 PM
trust me they don't, i used to work there. u dont really get discounts on video games, cds, and dvds; u might get a lil bit of a discount off of the computer stuff; but thats about it

mp5o
12-26-2005, 10:38 PM
I got a buddy who's been workin at frys at gwinnett place since b4 they opened up. He's now in customer service and makes pretty good money. He's happy w/the job. No complaints really besides dickheads customers. The discount isnt bad either, I believe its what the store pays plus 10%. Sooo. Its not THAT bad. Bestbuy is what the store pays plus 5% but on car audio only(I believe). Now, I've got another buddy who recently started working there(less than a year) and he uhh.... Lets just say he dislikes it. Shitty pay, boring job. He works *the cage*.

Tuan
12-26-2005, 10:44 PM
frys get discount on shit by i think they are only allow to rations on their discounts. BB discounts on a lot of shit other then car audio. but hte car audio discount is one of the best. Best thing in the world is when u see ppl paying 60 bux for usb cord knowing u get them for 4 bux

thinkfast®
12-26-2005, 10:45 PM
trust me they don't, i used to work there. u dont really get discounts on video games, cds, and dvds; u might get a lil bit of a discount off of the computer stuff; but thats about it

do you have to wait a while before you get a sweet hookup? or maybe you are confusing Frys w/ BestBuy or some shit? do you think?

I dont know man, I'm just sayin

chrisdavis
12-28-2005, 02:40 AM
really? I thought it had to be on the list of "reasons to fire" and shit... like if u get written up 3 times for the same thing. If you just straight up suck, they want to fire you, but can't so then they'll write you up on stupid shit and stupid shit til you get fired.... Thats just from what I heard when I worked there... they talked MAD shit about the differences of Best Buy and Fry's when Fry's was about to open up... even so mad people went over to frys and are still there....
Just wonderin, Tuan are you a senior yet?

Nope. In Ga you can be fired at will, it is in the application you fill out for employment(the part that says you or the employer can terminate employment at any time without prior notification). Some companies have their own policies that may involve steps of discipline prior to termination, but they are not required to have those policies.

Lower4
12-29-2005, 08:53 AM
YES! Got the JOB!

ClipseGST
12-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Congrats... What positions are they hiring for and how much do they pay?

thinkfast®
12-29-2005, 10:58 AM
when do we get our hook up?

Lower4
12-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Interview went REALLY good (thanks to RandomGuy). I actually found out they start people off from the cashier position...bad thing right? Well the interview went so well that they kicked me up four promotions, and gave me the computer sales job. =) good stuff.

blacknightteg
12-29-2005, 11:30 AM
i happen to like my job at best buy, especially alot better then circuit city, it sucked i dont feel pressured at all to sell shit like i did at circuit city and the managers and the co-workers that i work with are awesome to work with, everyone on here that hates best buy i swear always refers to 504 and i mean thats just one store

gtikid
12-30-2005, 05:23 AM
i happen to like my job at best buy, especially alot better then circuit city, it sucked i dont feel pressured at all to sell shit like i did at circuit city and the managers and the co-workers that i work with are awesome to work with, everyone on here that hates best buy i swear always refers to 504 and i mean thats just one store

504 sucks and best buy sucks.

I worked at both CC and BB and man believe me, CC was a WHOLE lot more relaxed than BB ;)

Nismo
12-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Actually they start you at what ever. The cashier is necesserailly the worst position. The discount structure there is based on what they pay for an item, so its not a base 10% off, it really depends on the mark up. (fyi car audio has the largest margin, i believe 200% or so) So you can get car audio stuff balls cheap. If you can put up with them for 10 years they give you 1 million dollars in defered compensation. The discounts start the minute they say ur hired, so if you want a discount they jsut get a job, attend the first day of paid orientation and you get your discount starting then. Bad parts though:
EVERYONE that is higher than you there is on some sort of powertrip so they will be douche bags to you and bitch and moan at you. Thats when you just need to say fuck it and accept that you will not be friends with them out side of work if you plan on making a shit ton of money any how.
Good Parts:
Make a god aweful amount of money, especially if your a good salesman in the computer department. Also kiss ass to your manager there and it will make it alot better because the other dickheads in your deparment will jump off your dick if your buddy buddy with the manager.

Lower4
01-01-2006, 01:33 PM
My orientation's tomorrow morning from 7:45 am to 4:00 pm. Hope it goes well. Happy new years peoples!!

JMCIVIC01
01-01-2006, 03:00 PM

DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR DOING BRO! THEY FIRE SO MANY ASSOCIATES EVERY SO OFTEN AND HIRE NEWS ONES SO I SAY FUCK THAT COMPANY! I HAVE KNOWN TO MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN FIRED AND THEY WONT EVEN TELL YOU WHY THEY LET YOU GO! IT SAYS THEY HAVE THE OPTION TO WITH-HOLD THAT INFO FROM YOU BUT ITS NOT WORTH IT TO ME BUT IF YOU NEED THE MONEY GO FOR IT CASHIER SUCKS THOUGH WHAT YOU DOING THERE OR TRYING TO DO?