PDA

View Full Version : Ignition

Hulud
12-26-2005, 02:20 PM
didnt know where to post this

i am looking at getting a new ignition for my car, ive been told MSD is the company to go with.
i was wondering what i should exactly be looking for.
i have a 95 Prelude Si, minor mods right now (header, catback, intake, shorshifter). it is my daily driver, and i owuld like to autocross it from time to time, and i am planning on getting a turbo eventually.

IntegraXTR
12-26-2005, 02:33 PM
be careful with msd, some of my buddies had some problems with them after running it for a week or so, one of them put it in in his rx7 and like the next day his car was miss firing and cut off, maybe wired it wrong but I had 2 occasions that this happened.

Vteckidd
12-26-2005, 05:20 PM
DO NOT GET MSD IGNITION. i know your looking at going turbo, but unless your making over 500whp, its nothing but a hassle.

THe ignitors and coils ALWAYS go bad. stock honda ignition is good for 250+whp ALL MOTOR and 500whp + turbo

I would invest the money in a good BOOST controller, or a turbo timer before i spent money on a MSD system

Hulud
12-26-2005, 06:06 PM
DO NOT GET MSD IGNITION. i know your looking at going turbo, but unless your making over 500whp, its nothing but a hassle.

THe ignitors and coils ALWAYS go bad. stock honda ignition is good for 250+whp ALL MOTOR and 500whp + turbo

I would invest the money in a good BOOST controller, or a turbo timer before i spent money on a MSD system
ok thanks

ct9a gsr
12-27-2005, 02:18 AM
I don't know if they make it for your application... but HKS Twin Fire DLi2 ignition amplifier has had nothing but great success on every car using it. Can handle over 600whp with the right set of plugs. =]

93H22ACX
12-27-2005, 07:38 AM
best ignition that i have heard of is M&W but its like $700-$800. too expensive for me though.... im just using a MSD 6AL LOL

1/4Mile
12-27-2005, 08:40 AM
DO NOT GET MSD IGNITION. i know your looking at going turbo* but unless your making over 500whp* its nothing but a hassle.

I would invest the money in a good BOOST controller* or a turbo timer before i spent money on a MSD system

I can agree partially. When first turbo'ed my coupe I went through 2 stock coils. They just burnt out. Poof!!! so I took a prelude stock Dizzy cap took out my stock coil and put on a MSD 6A box. I have some problems because You can't use any out wires that the MSD's. At first I tried to be cheap and use some lame OBX wires I already had. Bad idea. ignition broke up over 5700rpms. Second Don't use the sorry round msd coil. I had to use the small SS Blaster coil. so after getting all the right parts the car ignition is running strong. Faster starts* quicker reving* and noticably more power. Moral of the story is don't try to half-ass it if your going to do it* get all of the proper stuff from the jump. That's just my :2cents: