View Full Version : Government Auctions

IndianStig
12-23-2005, 01:24 PM
anybody ever bought a car form one?

if so how was it?

i found this site
http://cheapcarsearch.com/index.php

seems scamish but im still gonna check it out

any body now the REAL site for the gov't auctions?

Halfwit
12-23-2005, 01:24 PM
ive always wondered also, hmm well good luck!

EG BTER
12-23-2005, 01:36 PM
let us know how it goes...

Ms Dollar
12-23-2005, 01:38 PM
you just have to be really careful buying a government auction car, bc say you go to an auction you have to buy the car then and there. you don't have time to take it to a mechanic and see if everything is sound. everything is as is...but you can get damn good deals though...i just did a quick search and they have a 2002 accord black with a starting bid of 975

speedminded
12-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Auctions are nearly always cash only and on the spot...so no suprise there. I'd recommend going to a local county or city auction...see the vehicle yourself. There's a reason why the vehicle is going through the auction and not already sitting in someones driveway. With the amount of floods there as been the last several years i'd stay away from them at all cost unless you know exactly what you're getting into.

Get some real goverment stuff...look up DMRS http://www.drms.dla.mil/ :D

AznTraitor
12-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Auctions are nearly always cash only and on the spot...so no suprise there. I'd recommend going to a local county or city auction...see the vehicle yourself. There's a reason why the vehicle is going through the auction and not already sitting in someones driveway. With the amount of floods there as been the last several years i'd stay away from them at all cost unless you know exactly what you're getting into.

Get some real goverment stuff...look up DMRS http://www.drms.dla.mil/ :D

you know, I'm curious to what happened to all the cars from Mississippi and Louisiana. When we were down there 100% of the lots the cars had flood damage and my cousins said that they had trucks come and pick them all up and dissappeared. I thought they were gonna have a "flood sale" but apparently you cant do that.

MachNU
12-23-2005, 02:17 PM
you know, I'm curious to what happened to all the cars from Mississippi and Louisiana. When we were down there 100% of the lots the cars had flood damage and my cousins said that they had trucks come and pick them all up and dissappeared. I thought they were gonna have a "flood sale" but apparently you cant do that.

Yeah, i know a person who owns a car lot and asked him the same thing awhile back. He said all the ones that where on the dealership lots (brand new cars) where sent back to the facotrys taken apart and destroyed (goverment mandate), but alot of people and used car lots took theres and sold theres off, thats why they say right now its a bad idea to buy from Carmax type places becuase Carmax was found buying ALOT of the flooded cars! Then selling them at way more than they bought.

Also most gov't auction sites are a nice deal to buy cars from becuase most are repo cars and impounded cars that no one ever got back. Since they cant send them back where they came they arent like dealerships where they trying to get he most for them they are jsut trying to move them, hince the low low prices.

HiPSI
12-23-2005, 02:22 PM

i'd assume the factory can take them back and salvage usable parts? either that or there's junkyard somewhere that i need to go visit that's full of nice new cars that smell like the bayou ;).

MachNU
12-23-2005, 02:24 PM
i'd assume the factory can take them back and salvage usable parts? either that or there's junkyard somewhere that i need to go visit that's full of nice new cars that smell like the bayou ;).

Exaclty it, they where taken and destroyed, so if you could track a facotry that had alot of cars taken back to it then there is a junk yard around there with alot o fmoney in it!

EG BTER
12-23-2005, 04:28 PM
My grandfather works at one of the lots in New Orleans, he says the insurance company sold the cars for 25 cents on the dollar to junkyards and large companies.

The Yousef
12-23-2005, 04:35 PM
www.stealitback.com

IndianStig
12-23-2005, 04:49 PM
idk, my uncles more interested then i am

hes lookng for another 2004+ TL

i told him he could get two if he got it from one of these, most likely

JoeCoolinATL
12-24-2005, 01:42 AM
thats why they say right now its a bad idea to buy from Carmax type places becuase Carmax was found buying ALOT of the flooded cars! Then selling them at way more than they bought.

ACTUALLY. having worked for carmax, i can give you a better answer than some rumour.
carmax buys tons of cars. however any vehicle that has been a flood/salvage/etc title they will buy
but
it wont go on the lot.
behind every carmax is a lot nearly as big that is for those cars, each carmax holds dealer auctions for these cars. now, where do the fucked up cars go then? your local new/used car dealer.

AznTraitor
12-24-2005, 07:24 AM
smell like the bayou ;).

no you dont, when the tide is low....that is a almost unbearable stink.

Brandon C
12-24-2005, 07:26 AM
actually I disagree with you as MOst the fucked up cars sold at the car max Auctions are sold to BUy Here/ Pay Here lots or exporters... as far as the cars from the Flooded NO region there has been government mandates stating all cars must be destroyed so they would not get out. Did they probably not but I would be watchfull as I suspect that in the next few years some Insurance big wig will be before congress on trial for selling bad vehicles. I also know that Carfax and THe DMV has flagged every vehicle that was sold/Driving or for sale in the region.

Point 1: You can have your mechanic and you check a vehicle before buying...