PDA

View Full Version : Getting wheel locks off without a key?

HyPer50
12-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Ok, I just bought a blazer, and it has some locks (1 on each wheel) on it and I dont have a key for it. I've never seen this type of lock before tho, it's just a round lug nut, nothin' that I can see that a key would match up with... So before I go out there and try and chisel it to spin it off.... Anyone know of any places that might be able to make a key for it or somethin? I dont wanna chance fuckin' up the wheel (which is probably what would happen if I went out there with a chisel). I'm sure this isn't the right section, but I just figured I'd post this here and get as many replies as I could real quick since I want to try and get it done today... even though most places are closed today. Thanks.

Casey
12-18-2005, 11:31 AM
21mm 12 point chrome socket, hammer it on and break them loose. that or I think sears sells a wheel lock removal tool.

PSINXS
12-18-2005, 11:33 AM
or go to a ford dealership. most dealers have a master key set. I know we at toyota had em.

speedminded
12-18-2005, 11:46 AM
21mm 12 point chrome socket, hammer it on and break them loose. that or I think sears sells a wheel lock removal tool.exactly, depending on the wheel sometimes you need a thin wall socket...to get the lug out of the socket you'll prolly need to torch it and take a 1/4 extentension and hammer it out...just don't be like me and grab both the socket and lug after heating it up nearly white.. :eek: (hey, it was 3am and was in a hurry!)

dereksi
12-18-2005, 12:02 PM
or go to a ford dealership. most dealers have a master key set. I know we at toyota had em.
I agree go to the dealer they have a set of every wheel lock/key.

speedminded
12-18-2005, 12:05 PM
I agree go to the dealer they have a set of every wheel lock/key.that's not possible, not on this particular lug anyways...i'm 99.9% positive this is the round lug that has the oblong weird blob shape key hole where every single set is supposed to be differant.

IntegraXTR
12-18-2005, 12:05 PM
yeh but what if the key lock wasn't from the dealer and is aftermarket, then I would go to sears and get the kit, I believe its made by craftsman.

HyPer50
12-18-2005, 12:07 PM
would hammering a socket on it really do anything in my case? cause from what I see on the nut there is no surface for anything to grab onto, it looks to be just a perfectly rounded surface. I'll probably try and stop by Chevy if I get a day off this week. Thanks much.

EG BTER
12-18-2005, 12:21 PM
If you think they are aftermarket go by a tire shop. I used to work at Discount Tire on Busby, we had all sorts of keys

HyPer50
12-18-2005, 12:34 PM
If you think they are aftermarket go by a tire shop. I used to work at Discount Tire on Busby, we had all sorts of keys

They definatly are aftermarket... it's a 1990 chevy blazer, i dont think they came with factory wheel locks heh. They are American Racing Torque Thrust 2 wheels.... no clue who made the lock tho.

Big Baller
12-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Hammering on the socket will work

COGCaviZ24
12-18-2005, 01:37 PM
or if a welder is available, tack a socket to it. or yea a chizel or a punch and a hammer sometimes works

EG BTER
12-18-2005, 02:33 PM
I would try a tire shop first, before you destroy the lugs. they might have wut you need in stock.

green91
12-18-2005, 03:47 PM
there is a wheel lock removing kit u can buy at sears, its like a broken bolt extractor that has spiral reverse threads.