12-16-2005, 01:14 PM
the touareg

Repost Squintz
12-16-2005, 02:10 PM
dear lord thats alot of torque

A.P. Photography
12-16-2005, 02:17 PM
the touareg
Ok, lets try this again and read very carefully.

powered by a TDI 5.5 liter, bi turbo V12 diesel
The Tourareg only has at max a V8. A twin turbo V12 would be a massive SUV that would kill a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, or pretty much any other suv out there. ;)

mumbles
12-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Ok, lets try this again and read very carefully.

The Tourareg only has at max a V8. A twin turbo V12 would be a massive SUV that would kill a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, or pretty much any other suv out there. ;)

i know it sounds weird but saw it with my own eyes at butler tire in buckhead. i didn't believe it either when the guy told me that he had that, but i saw it and sware its true. no idea how he got it. i just know he paid $50k for it used with like 40k on it.

A.P. Photography
12-16-2005, 02:29 PM
well according to VW's site it only comes with either a V6 or a V8, so if he had it then it was something that was done custom and one off. Of course I would like to see it and see how they stuffed a V12 into that thing.

mumbles
12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
its a actually a W12 not a V12 if my memory serves correctly they take up way less space than a V motor. No it was factory VW. he got it from Jim Ellis Porsche. i have a witness

HiPSI
12-16-2005, 02:36 PM
i've heard rumors of a v10 diesel for the touareg, but never heard of a V12. should be cool to see what they can make a diesel do.

A.P. Photography
12-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Well a W12 was actually done in the Touareg.
http://www.germancarfans.com/news/2040928.001/2040928.001.1L.jpg

It is called the Touareg Sport but I am not sure that it is available in the US to be ordered this way. So the one you saw might have been imported.

mumbles
12-16-2005, 02:48 PM
i'm guessing so b/c his wife's daily is a porsche 996 cabrio with the aero package. the guy definately has the money for what ever he wants

Darling Nikki
12-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Thats beautiful...wish I could drive it. :(

dazn
12-16-2005, 06:58 PM
just when the competitors were starting to catch up, audi goes and comes out with this will destroy everyone again, poor zytec, thought they had a chance.
dyson is using a v8 motor next year so maybe they will put up a lil competition.
cant wait for the season to start. the field is growing especially with the new class adition, the GT2S. now we will see BMW and Lexus get into it.
we will all be smelling like diesel fuel now

Dablaze11
12-16-2005, 11:08 PM
my dad was very interested in the toureg last year at the auto show and they did have another model other than the V8. I dont remember if it was a v12 or v10....might have been the W12. I dont know but they do have something larger than the V8.

A.P. Photography
12-17-2005, 09:31 AM
my dad was very interested in the toureg last year at the auto show and they did have another model other than the V8. I dont remember if it was a v12 or v10....might have been the W12. I dont know but they do have something larger than the V8.
If you read what I posted there is a W12 Touareg but I am not sure that it is available in the US since it is not an option on the build a touareg site. Only engine options are V8 and V6

JMCIVIC01
12-17-2005, 09:52 AM
thats bad ass

HiPSI
12-17-2005, 10:46 AM
just when the competitors were starting to catch up, audi goes and comes out with this will destroy everyone again, poor zytec, thought they had a chance.
dyson is using a v8 motor next year so maybe they will put up a lil competition.
cant wait for the season to start. the field is growing especially with the new class adition, the GT2S. now we will see BMW and Lexus get into it.
we will all be smelling like diesel fuel now

i find it odd that they are going through all of this trouble to develop a new car that will run in P1, but the prototype classes in general have dropped to only a few cars in each class for any given race. the financial backing to run prototypes is hard to come by so it's either big factory efforts like audi or independently wealthy individuals owning the teams/cars and having the few sponsors they can find.

A.P. Photography
12-17-2005, 10:51 AM
I was kind of shocked to see Porsche is coming back into Prototype class again. I think they are building a couple that will go to one team so it should be intresting to see how they perform.

99SI
12-17-2005, 12:35 PM
The VW had a V10 turbodeisel available that they have discontinued for this year. It was a torque monster but it was a V10 TDI. I read a full in depth article where it was tested. It was pretty amazing. I am not positive on the exact numbers it made but it was around 400hp and 600lb/ft. There were not many of them available and they had about a 10K premium over the top of the line V8 gas Touareg. They did discontinue it for the upcoming model year though. Too bad, it was a real marvel.

99SI
12-17-2005, 12:44 PM
http://www.autobytel.com/content/research/reviews/index.cfm/action/DisplayPro/aid/139307/Make_vch/Volkswagen/Model_vch/Touareg/Year_si/2004/id/22436/ovchn/INK/ovcpn/SiteMatch/ovcrn/SMX/ovtac/PI

I tried to load a picture of the engine but it said that it was an invalid image? This link has a full review of the v10 TDI. I was wrong with my numbers. It's ONLY 310hp and 553lb/ft tq. lol. The torque peak is at 2000 rpms, lol.

ironchef
12-17-2005, 02:56 PM
For lemans are there no rules as to what can power the car in the certain classes, like size limits, power limits etc? And what are the different classes?

blacknightteg
12-17-2005, 03:06 PM
dude i cant wait to see this, i wander if champion is going to get one of those cars

dazn
12-17-2005, 03:44 PM
i find it odd that they are going through all of this trouble to develop a new car that will run in P1, but the prototype classes in general have dropped to only a few cars in each class for any given race. the financial backing to run prototypes is hard to come by so it's either big factory efforts like audi or independently wealthy individuals owning the teams/cars and having the few sponsors they can find.

the R8 has been in use for a very very long time but it was so ahead of its time that its still very competetive. The zytec team is the only team that gave it any REAL competition. they just dominated at Laguna. the prototype classes are growing bigger for next year. the zytec car plans on running a full season next year and theDyson team has a new chassis and motor that will prove to be quite competitive.
Porsce will be running a full season next year, and they will be selling their cars for independent teams to run. So it should get interesting. Talk of Honda being in P2 is big now. hopefully they can give porsche a run for their money since porschewill be absolutelydominant next year. It might take out a few P1 cars.

the classes for alms are P1,P2, GT1, GT2, and the new GT2S.
P1 are the fastest prototypes, includes Audi, Dyson, Zytec
P2 are the slower prototypes, includes, porsche, courage, miracle, and few other independent teams

GT1 includes the corvettes, vipers, saleen, aston martin, maserati
GT2 includes the porsche, panoz
GT2S will include Lexus, BMW, and maybe Nissan(infiniti, still in the works)

hopefully we will see more manufacuterers in the P1 and P2 class. I miss the older IMSA GTP cars, now those,were the shiot!
i loved the Nissan gtp cars,the porsches, and atlanta's very own Kudzu's, and dyson, crawfords........so many sweeet sweet turbo cars.
cant wait for next season to start! :goodjob:

HiPSI
12-17-2005, 05:00 PM
the classes for alms are P1,P2, GT1, GT2, and the new GT2S.
P1 are the fastest prototypes, includes Audi, Dyson, Zytec
P2 are the slower prototypes, includes, porsche, courage, miracle, and few other independent teams

GT1 includes the corvettes, vipers, saleen, aston martin, maserati
GT2 includes the porsche, panoz
GT2S will include Lexus, BMW, and maybe Nissan(infiniti, still in the works)

hopefully we will see more manufacuterers in the P1 and P2 class. I miss the older IMSA GTP cars, now those,were the shiot!
i loved the Nissan gtp cars,the porsches, and atlanta's very own Kudzu's, and dyson, crawfords........so many sweeet sweet turbo cars.
cant wait for next season to start! :goodjob:

i'll have to agree with you on the old GTP cars, i used to hang out at Lime Rock and the Glen on a regular basis and was a big fan of the R390 nissans and the porsche 962. my uncle worked for Dyson for a number of years in NY, when they were still running the 962's. then he moved down here shortly after my family did, and started working for Kudzu, went on to an independent shop for a while working kind of freelance with the Banana Joe's P1 and P2 teams, and now is the Crew Cheif for the Miracle Motorsports Courage/AER P2 car :). needless to say i've been around the GTP/Prototype racing for a while although i don't get to follow it like i used to :(. i used to love sitting around chatting with Weaver, he's a very nice guy and never failed to answer my long strings of random driving questions when he had some down time at the shop :).

HiPSI
12-17-2005, 05:15 PM
For lemans are there no rules as to what can power the car in the certain classes, like size limits, power limits etc? And what are the different classes?

there are very strict rules for weight/power in each class. i'll see if i can dig up the rough numbers but dazn explained it pretty well.

dazn
12-18-2005, 05:13 PM
i'll have to agree with you on the old GTP cars, i used to hang out at Lime Rock and the Glen on a regular basis and was a big fan of the R390 nissans and the porsche 962. my uncle worked for Dyson for a number of years in NY, when they were still running the 962's. then he moved down here shortly after my family did, and started working for Kudzu, went on to an independent shop for a while working kind of freelance with the Banana Joe's P1 and P2 teams, and now is the Crew Cheif for the Miracle Motorsports Courage/AER P2 car :). needless to say i've been around the GTP/Prototype racing for a while although i don't get to follow it like i used to :(. i used to love sitting around chatting with Weaver, he's a very nice guy and never failed to answer my long strings of random driving questions when he had some down time at the shop :).

who's your uncle? I just left Kudzu(now Downing Atlanta) a few days ago and i bet a few of my coworkers prolly know him.
where are the miracle guys located? I ve been wanting to jump into the ALMS lately and have talked to a few teams but nothing solid yet. Ive wrenched for a few Formula cars and club racing stuff. Id love to get back on a professional team but ive had to turn down a few offers since i cant relocate right now, so that narrowed my options quite a bit unfortunately.

the R390 was probablymy favorite car. I love watching it race in the historic series, dat car is just beautiful, and so was the 300ZX steve millen and johnny o connel drove.

HiPSI
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
who's your uncle? I just left Kudzu(now Downing Atlanta) a few days ago and i bet a few of my coworkers prolly know him.
where are the miracle guys located? I ve been wanting to jump into the ALMS lately and have talked to a few teams but nothing solid yet. Ive wrenched for a few Formula cars and club racing stuff. Id love to get back on a professional team but ive had to turn down a few offers since i cant relocate right now, so that narrowed my options quite a bit unfortunately.

the R390 was probablymy favorite car. I love watching it race in the historic series, dat car is just beautiful, and so was the 300ZX steve millen and johnny o connel drove.

my uncle is Bill Foster. Miracle Motorsports is based out of winterhaven florida, and they also have a shop in northern new york somewhere (can't remember the city name). i'd like to work with the cars themselves, but playing crewman sucks at endurance races. i've pitted at Petite LeMans for the banana joe's P1 car and to say the least, i was jumping for joy when larry oberto spun the car coming out of the pits and backed in under the flatbed in T1 ;). i guess i just don't have the patience for that, wait wait wait for a while, pit for 30 seconds, wait another hour or two, pit for 30 seconds. not to mention i was wearing 3-ply nomex since i was doing fuel part of the day and it was well over 80 degrees :(.