PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Freeman speaks out

rolling_trip
12-15-2005, 03:41 PM
NEW YORK (Dec. 15) - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday. "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated - when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

http://articles.news.aol.com/movies/article.adp?id=20051215144509990032

I have been saying this for a long time, I'm glad someone else has the balls to say it out loud.

dereksi
12-15-2005, 03:43 PM
yea no shit me too.

Bballjamal
12-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Very strong statements.

I like! I've been barking the same message in my own paraphrase of sorts. I'm a true believer of the "Black history is American History" comment.

tony
12-15-2005, 04:16 PM
He's going to be called a sellout now for saying all of that but he makes a valid point, you fight so long against segregation then turn around and want to seperate yourselves socially, it doesn't make sense.

With that said I believe the point of black history month is to honor those who may not have received recognition because of what they are. Me personally I dont lose any sleep over it, I feel I honor my ancestors by using the rights and privledges they fought for to put myself and my family in a better position.

Dr.G35
12-27-2005, 12:43 AM
NEW YORK (Dec. 15) - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday. "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated - when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

http://articles.news.aol.com/movies/article.adp?id=20051215144509990032

I have been saying this for a long time, I'm glad someone else has the balls to say it out loud.

most definately agree.

4dmin
12-27-2005, 01:10 PM
i agree 110% i personally think it is fucking hilarious - lets ingrain in young black americans that they are slaves!!! :rolleyes:

i'm glad to see such people as Cosby, Freeman come forward... but it won't make a difference b/c they aren't role models - if you asked the 15 year kid who Cosby is they'd be like "huh?" but if you asked them about ??? sportstar they could name off his SSN.

babygurl
12-28-2005, 12:10 AM
I agree 100%

Kevykev
12-28-2005, 07:51 AM
He's going to be called a sellout now

Only if the assholes that call him a sellout misinterpret him.

I understand excatly what he's saying, you can remove it, rename it or even lenghthen it but you really can't satisfy everyone.

Kevykev
12-28-2005, 07:57 AM
- lets ingrain in young black americans that they are slaves!!! :rolleyes:

:lmfao:

I guess in some isolated cases it would have that effect but for the most part it instiles anger that would most likely lead to a want or need to seperate themselves from "white people."

4dmin
12-28-2005, 08:10 AM
:lmfao:

I guess in some isolated cases it would have that effect but for the most part it instiles anger that would most likely lead to a want or need to seperate themselves from "white people."

IMO - a portion of young black america that believes they are owed something b/c they feel they have held back by color. now i'm not saying all are like that but i believe such things like this fuel the fire. every feb during black history month its easy to find literature/film on slavery. such things to me give off neg feedback...

its like you speak the name Germany, first thing alot of people think is Hitler. it is much easier to relate to negative; which is the problem. how about we dedicate a whole month to the jews so we can run history of the holocust for a month??? :goodjob: slavery is much better than extermenation.

Nomad!
12-28-2005, 08:12 AM
If only Morgan Freeman carried as much weight with the young ones as 50cent

Kevykev
12-28-2005, 08:13 AM
it is much easier to relate to negative; which is the problem.

This world is overwhelmed buy negative energy that's why it takes "1000 positives to erase a negative, but it only takes One Negative to ruin a positive relationship." -me haha

4dmin
12-28-2005, 08:18 AM
This world is overwhelmed buy negative energy that's why it takes "1000 positives to erase a negative, but it only takes One Negative to ruin a positive relationship." -me haha

lol - 150% true... i just think its funny... b/c i'm white i guess i just don't see it... many people forget slavery has been in exsistance since the dawn of man, every color, every race, has had its share in it... Romans, Eygptians, Jews, Africans, etc..

no one will be happy until we are all dead :D

Kevykev
12-28-2005, 08:33 AM
lol - 150% true... i just think its funny... b/c i'm white i guess i just don't see it... many people forget slavery has been in exsistance since the dawn of man, every color, every race, has had its share in it... Romans, Eygptians, Jews, Africans, etc..

no one will be happy until we are all dead :D

It's because we live in America. Paul don't forget, Less than 50 years ago, Segregation was still strong in the same places where we live today. A great amount of people that lived during segregation "White and Black" are still alive. These people procreated some changed their ways, some didn't.

There are so many aspects of this I could go on and on, cause and effect.

Vteckidd
01-12-2006, 07:51 PM
wow, mucho respect for that, and i agree 100percent with you tony