PDA

View Full Version : CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR HELP?

carrascopa
04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
RAN A SCAN CUZ OF MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND THE CAR IS RUNNING LIKE SHIT AND IT PULLED CODE FOR THE CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR ON MY K20 ( RSX TYPE s )

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INSIGHT OR SUGGESTIONS TO GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED?

99SI
04-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Get a camshaft position sensor and put it on. Seems easy to me.

carrascopa
04-06-2005, 10:55 AM
YOU DUMB FUK! ITS AN ELECTRICAL PART TONS OF THINGS COULD CAUSE THAT..

99SI
04-06-2005, 11:03 AM
The camshaft position sensor has probably either gone bad or it may have some shit on it that's blocking it from reading. Try cleaning it first. I was just fuking wit ya so fuk u. Also when you scanned it did you clear the code and has it come back on?

carrascopa
04-06-2005, 11:07 AM
YA WE CLEARED IT AND IT CAME BACK ON.. BUT ID ONT EVEN KNOW WHERE THE FUCKER IS AT!

99SI
04-06-2005, 11:12 AM
At first I was thinking crank sensor, that's why I said it could be blocked from reading. I'm sure Vteckidd can give you a little more insight on it.

Vteckidd
04-06-2005, 12:26 PM
alex im on the phone wit my tech right now.

On B series the CPS is either inside the distributor or on the camshaft, i cant remember, since RSXS are coilpacks, i dont know where they are located, im trying to find out right now, gimem a minute

NEONRACER
04-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Should be on the opposite side of the head from the cam gears . On the intake cam if I am not mistaken.

Vteckidd
04-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Should be on the opposite side of the head from the cam gears . On the intake cam if I am not mistaken.
cps should be on the cam shaft right BEFORE the cam gear. see if theres a wire over there that may have corroded or came unplugged. disconnect the battery for 30 min and see if the code comes back right away

Vteckidd
04-06-2005, 12:54 PM
blue plug by the transmission side of the motor, see if its corroded or came unplugged

carrascopa
04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
ill do it! thanks for the help you guys
.. nothing was unplugged as far as i could tell... and i did unplug my battery and try to reset the bia.. the code came right back up..

I hate cars...

If i find that it is corroded what is the best way to clean it up?

Vteckidd
04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
ill do it! thanks for the help you guys
.. nothing was unplugged as far as i could tell... and i did unplug my battery and try to reset the bia.. the code came right back up..

I hate cars...

If i find that it is corroded what is the best way to clean it up?
Alex, what are you doing tonight, ill meet you half way or something and ill see if i can fix it

Casey
04-06-2005, 01:07 PM
mike visually there is nothing wrong with the plug, I cleared the code last night and is came right back. the code is P0431(if my memory serves me correct.

carrascopa
04-06-2005, 01:09 PM
ya! theres casey!

and yo mike id meet you bro but is it safe to drive my car? just curious?

NEONRACER
04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
cps should be on the cam shaft right BEFORE the cam gear. see if theres a wire over there that may have corroded or came unplugged. disconnect the battery for 30 min and see if the code comes back right away

So it's on the opposite side of the head from the cam gears, like the majority of distributorless cars.

NEONRACER
04-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Odds are the sensor just went bad. It's probably not picking up the cam magnet properly. Easy fix but the sensor won't be cheap.

carrascopa
04-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Odds are the sensor just went bad. It's probably not picking up the cam magnet properly. Easy fix but the sensor won't be cheap.

word! thats what i hear.. hmm..

but yo if its caroded how do i clean it

NEONRACER
04-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I am sure you can get a new magnet, most of them are screwed to the camshaft. I would take the sensor off and clean the contact point with some carb cleaner. I would put money that the sensor itself is bad though. Hopefully there isn't a wiring problem but you haven't modded that car have you?

carrascopa
04-06-2005, 02:28 PM
NOT REALLY JUST EXHAUST AND INTAKE... I GOT A NEW CLUTCH PUT IN LAST SATURDAY THATS IT

NEONRACER
04-06-2005, 02:50 PM
It is possible that when they did the clutch they pinched a wire since they were ont hat sid eof the motor. Check to see if the sensor is cracked by chance maybe the hit it or the plug may not be connected securely.

Vteckidd
04-06-2005, 02:57 PM
It is possible that when they did the clutch they pinched a wire since they were ont hat sid eof the motor. Check to see if the sensor is cracked by chance maybe the hit it or the plug may not be connected securely.
everything was put back in correctly, but ill check it out anyways just to make sure. plus it didnt throw the code for 2-3 days after the car was given back, and when we started it up we made sure there was no CEL.

carrascopa
04-06-2005, 10:49 PM
i checked the 1 million blue plugs on the tranny side and all appeared to be hooked up and clean! So i guess it is safe to say the sensor is bad.... I WAS DOING SOME READING TOO GUYS AND WONDERING... BASED ON WHAT I HAVE READ I HAVE TO OF THESE SENSORS ON THE CAR.. IS THIS TRUE?

Will you guys throw some prices at me .. those who know how to fix it! Please i need my ride yall!

Vteckidd
04-07-2005, 08:52 AM
yeah there is 2 sensors , one for each camshaft. Ill see if i can find the part for cheap

Neonracer aka matt
Jenson said dont question his work :) ;)

carrascopa
04-07-2005, 09:04 AM
hahahaha! naw i know it was nothing you guys did! I appreciatte any help you can lend! and yo the sooner the better..

Vteckidd
04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
hahahaha! naw i know it was nothing you guys did! I appreciatte any help you can lend! and yo the sooner the better..
ill see what i can do. jenson just read the thread, and he and matt know each other really well so jenson told me to say that lol.

NEONRACER
04-11-2005, 02:04 PM
I never questioned his work. I doesn't matter who you are and how good you are something as small as accidently unplugging something can happen. Hell I was in such a rush to get my car back together at the track I forgot to take the paper towel out of the TB when I had the intake off. We all make mistakes and that one I have never made again. haha I made it to the staging lanes just before I had to run. The car I just put a motor in had it's rad fan relay quit 1 week after the swap, I didn't cause the problem but I still fixed it.