PDA

View Full Version : To my Honda smart/elite minded

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 07:59 AM
okay fellas, i defintly hope someone can help cause my car is runnin like shit and i cant even drive it.
ok heres the details
Car: Honda Civic
engine:b16a2
problem: well my car is basically runnin like shit, im gettin no power. the CEL code threw
p0170
Fuel Trim
Malfunction.
now the details: my car will not redline over 4k rpm in first gear and each gear after that the redline is lower....when i get to a certain point, it starts to studder and i floor it and it still makes no power.
Also, (which sounds like an exhaust leak) i hear a hissin sound when i get high in the rpm when it lets me get over 4k rpm.
To add to the problems, when i push down on the gas pedal, sometimes i get no response AT ALL, i can floor the pedal and after about 10 seconds the rpm go up a little and when i let off, my idle goes damn near to 0 and my car is stugglin like hell to get on....please if anyone can help, give me some insight. Thank You in advance.
( possible solutions i've gotten, i got bad gas and i should let it go to E, fill back up and i might be good again)
( fuel injectors may be bad, O2 sensor could be the cause of this or my IACV again)

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 09:33 AM
anyone can help :(

Ludester
12-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Dude, did you over rev the engine before the problem started?

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Dude, did you over rev the engine before the problem started?

...no, i only came close to redlining my car once and that was at the track and i shifted at 8300, and this was almost a year ago.
i kno its not a bent valve, or a blown headgasket, i checked all those routes.
basically it comes down to:
my o2 sensor is out so my ecu doesnt know how much fuel to put out
fuel pump bad
fuel pressure regulator is bad
the problem is clearly my fuel cause it feels like my engine isnt gettin any, i just wanted some input and advice from some good/great mechanic minded people..
i dont wanna commit to changing those if its not needed, i was hoping some mechanic on here had this problem and fixed it or someone had or knows with this same problem and it was fixed.

A.P. Photography
12-12-2005, 11:25 AM
B, from the sounds of it the ecu is in limp mode. That is the reason you can't go over 4k. As for the fuel trim it could be any number of things from a fuel pump, clogged filter (not enough pressure), etc. I would pm Vteckidd and ask him for a route of action to see if it might be easily fixed.

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 11:31 AM
ahhh Thank you, i was readin about it a lil and ecu in limp mode was there, didn't know much bout it but imma see if i can get it reset, i dont know if Mike is on the pc this early as his shop is closed today.

mocha latte cupcake
12-12-2005, 11:35 AM
B, from the sounds of it the ecu is in limp mode. That is the reason you can't go over 4k. As for the fuel trim it could be any number of things from a fuel pump, clogged filter (not enough pressure), etc. I would pm Vteckidd and ask him for a route of action to see if it might be easily fixed.

close to what i was going to say, also if it doesn't sound like your going on all cylinders maybe a bad injector or pump. have you ever changed the filteR? do that too, its like 12 bux and take about 10 minutes.

BTEC
12-12-2005, 11:39 AM
im thinking of a clogged cat possibly but i have to check my drawing board again. lol!!

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 11:41 AM
close to what i was going to say, also if it doesn't sound like your going on all cylinders maybe a bad injector or pump. have you ever changed the filteR? do that too, its like 12 bux and take about 10 minutes.

i was thinkin it might me the filter on teh intake, i took it off, cleaned it, banged it against the cement and at first it was all good, but when i tried to get higher rpms, it turned me down like Jordan W askin a girl out...so imma just get a new filter anyway, i was told since i hace an Iceman CAI, i have to get a certain size filter...is this true ( i dont even know the size of the filter i need)

im thinking of a clogged cat possibly but i have to check my drawing board again. lol!!

how could i unclogg?

mocha latte cupcake
12-12-2005, 11:44 AM
get a measuring tape and go to pep boys n look y0. but i was talking about a fuel filter. i'm going to be changing my filter today too, the air one that is.

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 11:47 AM
get a measuring tape and go to pep boys n look y0. but i was talking about a fuel filter. i'm going to be changing my filter today too, the air one that is.

aaaahhh, fuel filter, guess i'll try that too.
Lol, you should have seen me bangin the intake filter against the curb, it looked like smeegal in LOTR when he was smashing the fish against the rock

BTEC
12-12-2005, 11:48 AM
how could i unclogg?
um, u cant. it is illegal to take ur cat off and use a pry bay and hammer to break all the brick stuff out of it. ur supopsed to buy a new one. Im not saying it is clogged but not being able to rev it and the exhaust leak makes me think it could be. u know nebody with a laser temp gun by chance?

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 11:50 AM
um, u cant. it is illegal to take ur cat off and use a pry bay and hammer to break all the brick stuff out of it. ur supopsed to buy a new one. Im not saying it is clogged but not being able to rev it and the exhaust leak makes me think it could be. u know nebody with a laser temp gun by chance?

hmmm, to be honest, i dont even know if that hissing sound is an exhaust leak, my friend said it iz...cause he was drivin it cause he didn't believe me....just to make sure, the hissing is more then likely an exhaust leak and isnt anythin major to mess up my motor ( noob with these repairs Lol) but nah i dont know anyone would a laser temp gun, i could go to the shop that welded my muffler on and see if they will do it

mocha latte cupcake
12-12-2005, 11:55 AM
dang jesse you should have asked me like 2 weeks ago, i had my friends gun... sorry bro.

BTEC
12-12-2005, 12:21 PM
yeah i had one and left it under the hood of a customers car. lol!!!
But B u can take it to them and see if they can tell if its bad or not. temp should be hotter after (coming out) the cat than before (going in). If its clogged, itll be substantially hotter on the inlet side and cooler on the exit side. Good luck

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 12:25 PM
yeah i had one and left it under the hood of a customers car. lol!!!
But B u can take it to them and see if they can tell if its bad or not. temp should be hotter after (coming out) the cat than before (going in). If its clogged, itll be substantially hotter on the inlet side and cooler on the exit side. Good luck

alright coo, thanks, well heres another piece of info i forgot to disclose, alot of carbon minoxide has been commin out ( more then usual) and when i was testing out my rev i noticed alot of black stuff on the ground that looks like it came from my muffler ( not oil, i checked, it wasnt that thick)

A.P. Photography
12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
That could be a couple of things actually. It might be the cat but have you noticed a decrease in power before this happend?

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 12:53 PM
That could be a couple of things actually. It might be the cat but have you noticed a decrease in power before this happend?

well no, tha only thing i noticed is that my exhaust started to sound deeper and deeper as i drove it day by day(last week) and this past friday on my way it started acting like this....when it started to sound deeper i thought ( well i guess it took this long to break it in ...i had this exhaust on for almost a year and a half.)

mocha latte cupcake
12-12-2005, 12:55 PM
i would guess the cat with that ish right there.

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 12:57 PM
i would guess the cat with that ish right there.

hmm, i hope so, also, when it idle's at like close to 0, teh exhaust was makin no sound ( i got out the car but i kept it on) and i could hear the motor strugglin to stay on but teh exhaust was makin no sound, it wasn't even rattlin

A.P. Photography
12-12-2005, 01:02 PM
well that sounds like it might be the cat. You have not hit anything that could have bent the exhaust or the header have you?

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 01:06 PM
well that sounds like it might be the cat. You have not hit anything that could have bent the exhaust or the header have you?

nope,havent hit anything
the only recent thing i can think of is that CV boot was busted on the inside but i doubt that would be it, unless it somehow screwed up my tranny

Negrodamus
12-12-2005, 01:16 PM
De-Rice it and it should start just fine.

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 01:17 PM
De-Rice it and it should start just fine.

no fried rice here.

mocha latte cupcake
12-12-2005, 01:25 PM
hahahaha he said no rice.

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 01:35 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/b_ruff84/motor.jpg
this was me lookin at my motor in digust.

green91
12-12-2005, 08:19 PM
i doubt its a cat problem myself. id throw a fuel pressure gauge and see what kind of fp youre getting. also, check your map sensor and make sure the hose is connected and the plug is inserted firmly. if you think (which i doubt) its an o2 sensor problem, you can unplug it and the car will run without it (will throw a CEL though)

B16a2 Civic
12-13-2005, 07:53 AM
i doubt its a cat problem myself. id throw a fuel pressure gauge and see what kind of fp youre getting. also, check your map sensor and make sure the hose is connected and the plug is inserted firmly. if you think (which i doubt) its an o2 sensor problem, you can unplug it and the car will run without it (will throw a CEL though)

aiigh cool, i wont have a day off untill this thursday and imma see if its a cat problem, i'll defintly go the routes you given, hopefully i'll find the problem.
if it is fuel pressure, what route should i take?

A.P. Photography
12-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Fuel Pressure could be several things but the easiest to try would be replace the fuel filter first.

B16a2 Civic
12-13-2005, 08:08 AM
ahhh ok, imma go buy one today when i get off
i cranked the car yesterday and it sounds horrible, its strugglin just to rev without bein in gear and i have alot of carbon minoxide build up on the ground from where my exhaust is spittin it out.

99SI
12-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey if you do need a cat I have the one I took off my car that is still in good shape, you can get it for the cheap. Catalytic converters are getting crazy expensive. I'm glad I don't have one! :D It sounds almost like you have two things going on. The cat is a possibility seeing how sluggish that it is but it would generally pull a different code, either, an "catalyst below efficiency" or some other type of catalyst code. I would definately throw a fuel filter on and try that first. You could also have trash in one of the injectors that is clogging up the nozzle. There are so many things that this could be it's definately going to be tough to get an accurate diagnosis over the interweb. I know you insurance employees make that jack so just break down and take it to a mechanic in your area that you know to be reputable. Good luck, and if you do need that cat holler at me, I've got it in my attic, along with the rest of my stock exhaust.

B16a2 Civic
12-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Hey if you do need a cat I have the one I took off my car that is still in good shape, you can get it for the cheap. Catalytic converters are getting crazy expensive. I'm glad I don't have one! :D It sounds almost like you have two things going on. The cat is a possibility seeing how sluggish that it is but it would generally pull a different code, either, an "catalyst below efficiency" or some other type of catalyst code. I would definately throw a fuel filter on and try that first. You could also have trash in one of the injectors that is clogging up the nozzle. There are so many things that this could be it's definately going to be tough to get an accurate diagnosis over the interweb. I know you insurance employees make that jack so just break down and take it to a mechanic in your area that you know to be reputable. Good luck, and if you do need that cat holler at me, I've got it in my attic, along with the rest of my stock exhaust.

ahhh ok, imma slap a new fuel filter on today, see if thats it....imma check into that injector suggestion to, i am bout to break down and take it to one.

green91
12-13-2005, 04:49 PM
it could even be something as stupid as the vacuum line going to the FPR.. maybe a split or hole in it

nofive-0
12-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Its probably not the gas. I am having this same problem on a mitsu I am working on. The hissing to me sounds like you have a vac leak. Possibly bad 02. bad fpr or clogged rail etc. check your base timing. Check all sensors on intake and throttle body.

-S Double C-
12-13-2005, 10:04 PM
eh man me and you are local and i know your motor like my palm..hit me up anytime and we will get it worked out...706-507-0450...Sean is my name if you forgot it

B16a2 Civic
12-14-2005, 07:38 AM
eh man me and you are local and i know your motor like my palm..hit me up anytime and we will get it worked out...706-507-0450...Sean is my name if you forgot it

you know i ppreciate it sean, im off tomorrow and i dedicated that day to gettin my car fixed, you think you wanna meet up then?

B16a2 Civic
12-16-2005, 07:54 AM
well, come to find out i jumped timing...so i guess thats whas gonna fill up my saturday
just bought a timing belt kit and water pump...already spent 200$ :(

A.P. Photography
12-16-2005, 08:29 AM
well, come to find out i jumped timing...so i guess thats whas gonna fill up my saturday
just bought a timing belt kit and water pump...already spent 200$ :(
Ouch, I didn't even think about it jumping timing. Sorry to hear man.

99SI
12-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Hope you didn't bend any valves. You need to really be careful when you do the timing belt install and make ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY SURE THE TIMING IS RIGHT!!! I hope the timing belt and water pump take care of everything. So was the timing belt just worn out? Or did the water pump start to go? It seems kind of odd that it would just jump timing w/o one of those things happening. If you already said and I just didn't read forgive me! ;)

A.P. Photography
12-16-2005, 09:55 AM
^ Actually he didn't and I was wondering the same thing. That is why it never entered my mind that it might have possibly jumped. You might want to replace the tensioner as well B.

B16a2 Civic
12-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Hope you didn't bend any valves. You need to really be careful when you do the timing belt install and make ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY SURE THE TIMING IS RIGHT!!! I hope the timing belt and water pump take care of everything. So was the timing belt just worn out? Or did the water pump start to go? It seems kind of odd that it would just jump timing w/o one of those things happening. If you already said and I just didn't read forgive me! ;)

no bent valves, thank god.
well it was kind of weird, the morning ( yesterday) i was gon take it to the exhaust shop to get it done and looked it, i started the car up, started up, kept my foot on the gas and the rpm wentf rom 2k rpm right back to 0 and turned off and i couldn't restart it, kept just making that tickign sound when you try to start it back up.

to be on the safe side,m i went to and spent about 250 bucks and bought a new timing belt kit( comes with a tensioner), new water pump, cam seals, and crank seals

also whats wierd, i only have 67k-70 k on this motor, im suprised it went out this early, imma still have my mechanic ( who is back in town) look at it for me

A.P. Photography
12-16-2005, 10:04 AM
You def. want to have it looked at to make sure. Personally I think that it was those crooked doors that threw off the internal balance of the motor and caused the flux capacitor to over compensate causing the problem.

B16a2 Civic
12-16-2005, 10:09 AM
You def. want to have it looked at to make sure. Personally I think that it was those crooked doors that threw off the internal balance of the motor and caused the flux capacitor to over compensate causing the problem.

:lmao:
we'll, i have a pleasent suprise, i may no longer own this car soon and it will be stock and for sale ( motor mods will remain)

B16a2 Civic
12-16-2005, 10:10 AM
repped ya'll :)

A.P. Photography
12-16-2005, 10:21 AM
:lmao:
we'll, i have a pleasent suprise, i may no longer own this car soon and it will be stock and for sale ( motor mods will remain)
Watchu talkin bout Willis?

B16a2 Civic
12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Watchu talkin bout Willis?

out with the old, in with the new ;)

A.P. Photography
12-16-2005, 10:36 AM
so what is going to be the new ride? Big baller or still going the Honda route?

Oh and I have to spread some rep before giving it to you again.

B16a2 Civic
12-16-2005, 10:39 AM
so what is going to be the new ride? Big baller or still going the Honda route?

Oh and I have to spread some rep before giving it to you again.

new ride but its gon be honda, new Si ( if i dont change my mind, i wanna atleast finish this project)

B16a2 Civic
12-19-2005, 07:51 AM
just in xase anyone has this problem in the future, i'll post my solution.

i had to replace my timing belt, only because my cad. convertor was clogged so i had so much back pressure that it threw off my timing.
so i just replaced my timing belt and ran new custom exhaust pipes.
if you dont wanna fork over the money for custom piping, just remove your cad convertor, put it so you have a hollow cad convertor or simply get it unclogged Lol

just wanna say thanks for all of ya'll that helped me

A.P. Photography
12-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Cool man glad to see you got it fixed. I still say those crooked doors had something to do with it. ;)

B16a2 Civic
12-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Cool man glad to see you got it fixed. I still say those crooked doors had something to do with it. ;)

Lol, i have a sale pending for them, now that my car is pulling even harder then before ( im guessing the cat convertor was clogged in lil by the previous owner) i might hold onto to this, go OEM Si stock and imma buy a 06 Si too.

A.P. Photography
12-19-2005, 09:09 AM
cool :goodjob: