PDA

View Full Version : Help decide on next bike

Sinfix_15
06-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I cant make up my mind on my next bike. Ive got a couple in mind. Your thoughts?

2005 yamaha r1
Last year of the 5valve when yamaha only cared about power. Still has enough grunt to whip the new bikes but maybe more grunt than 90% of ppl can put down on pavement.

2007 yamaha r6
More sophisticated and well rounded bike, handles excellent but the engine leaves a bit to be desired. It lives in the high rpm and has no low end grunt. Looks amazing.

2006 kawasaki 636
Maybe the best middle weight stret bike ever. 636 engine is great. Comfortable bike with conservative styling. Might look a little too boring.2006 and still the fastest 600.

2007 kawasaki zx6
Why god why did they change the engine!! Styling stepped up a bit. Much more refined track bike but lost all of the 636 grunt.... maybe too much

Help me decide.

Taking a break from hondas, my last 3 bikes were hondas. I know theyre better, they just lack personality.

Dont want any suzuki piece of shit "gixxer"

Vteckidd
06-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Ive always been partial to R6s, not a fan of anything else on that list

Sinfix_15
06-26-2014, 03:41 PM

Reasons?

Just based on looks?

I love the way yamahas look and handle, but the r6 pulls like hamster in house slippers. A 636 will bite the head off an r6 and still have room for dessert.

David88vert
06-26-2014, 05:17 PM
This one is simple. If it's going to be a street bike, get the R1. It's the only one liter on the list.
If its a track bike, then get a 600.

Sinfix_15
06-26-2014, 05:25 PM
This one is simple. If it's going to be a street bike, get the R1. It's the only one liter on the list.
If its a track bike, then get a 600.

I dont understand the "bigger is better" approach to street bikes. I tend to enjoy throttling a 600 vs having to show restraint on a 1000.

I dont plan on going to the track, just mountain carving

Sinfix_15
06-26-2014, 05:30 PM
$5500 budget. Pick a street bike

David88vert
06-26-2014, 09:08 PM
I dont understand the "bigger is better" approach to street bikes. I tend to enjoy throttling a 600 vs having to show restraint on a 1000.

I dont plan on going to the track, just mountain carving

With a 1 liter, you can throw in 3rd and you don't have to change gears when zipping through the mtns. With a 600, you do a lot more work changing gears through the same curves. I've ridden for many years, and the extra low end torque of the 1 liters is just more relaxing to ride with.

It's not the top end hp, it's the low end delivery - with a 1 liter, you don't have to wring it out all of the time to move quick.

David88vert
06-26-2014, 09:10 PM
$5500 budget. Pick a street bike

R1, or a CBR1000.

Sinfix_15
06-27-2014, 06:02 PM
R1, or a CBR1000.
06 r1 is growing on me.

Its pretty much between the 636 and r1. I like having to wring it out. my last liter, the absence of shifting bored me. Absolutely a liter is the more ergonomic traveler.

I also like wheelies, i dont feel so comfortable wheel up on a big bike.

Probably gonna come down to the cleanest right color and right price bike i see first. If i find a clean magma red 636 i wont be able to walk away and vica versa on a lot of colors of r1.

Sinfix_15
07-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Winner winner chicken dinner.

So i picked up and 07 r6 with 9k miles. Drove up to tennessee to get it. Initial reaction, sights and sounds beautiful. Easily the most uncomfortable bike ive ever wrapped my legs around. The seat is up your ass and you have to sit way to high on the bars. It took some getting used to. Hondas are wayyyyyyy more comfy.

With that said, ive never ridden bike with an engine as in harmony as this one feels and sounds. Everything is perfectly crisp and minimal valvetrain noise. Ive gotten used to honda valvetrain chatter so this was welcome change. After spending a couple hourd in the tennessee mountains i warmed up to the seating position. The handling is great, its just a bit cumbersome to ride. Id say the newer yamahas are more skill demanding than anything else ive ridden, but the performance is rewarding for the effort. Its as if the bike insults your riding ability. The bike is so good it makes you feel like its your fault. A honda makes you feel like a better rider than you are.

Final verdict. I think yamaha won me over. I cant see buying any other brand moving forward. Sorry honda, its not you its me.

Sinfix_15
07-07-2014, 12:27 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/Virtutis/Mobile%20Uploads/00d0d_f044kZGxKh9_600x450_zpsc7ac511b.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/Virtutis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/00d0d_f044kZGxKh9_600x450_zpsc7ac511b.jpg.html)

Hard to tell in pic, but color is aquamarine. Its kinda like the mystic cobras, changes in the sun. Wheels are bronze powder coated. Full hindle exhaust no cat, pc3, o2 delete, -1 +2 sprockets, bmc filter, clean air mod, graves tune.

Bacon
07-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Not bad at all. I just got rid of my '07 R6. I've had an '06 ZX6R 636 and it was hands down slower than the R6. I am a diehard Honda fan and the Yahama won me over too.

You'll enjoy it.

Sinfix_15
07-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Not bad at all. I just got rid of my '07 R6. I've had an '06 ZX6R 636 and it was hands down slower than the R6. I am a diehard Honda fan and the Yahama won me over too.

You'll enjoy it.

With the honeymoon over, i retract my over reaction.... hondas are better, but im still very happy with yamaha. Revving the bejesus out of the bike and riding it like a cheap whore is fun. Honda is so refined its almost boring. Yamaha is beautifully flawed.

So you have no bike now or? And yay for $588 tag.....

00CelicaGT
07-16-2014, 09:04 PM
My 08 R6 is my first bike but learned to ride on a GSXR 600, the Suzuki was slower and I felt like I had to work harder to get the bike to handle the way I wanted to. With my R6 its effortless flicking the bike through the turns, I do crave some more low end power. I'm not sure what I'd do with it honestly lol, I love that after 10k she starts scream through the gears.

Bacon
07-20-2014, 10:05 AM
With the honeymoon over, i retract my over reaction.... hondas are better, but im still very happy with yamaha. Revving the bejesus out of the bike and riding it like a cheap whore is fun. Honda is so refined its almost boring. Yamaha is beautifully flawed.

So you have no bike now or? And yay for $588 tag.....

Yeah I am bikeless again for now. Wife lost her job so I had to cut ties and the bike was the most beneficial option at the time. My next one will probably be another cruiser.

00CelicaGT
07-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Yeah I am bikeless again for now. Wife lost her job so I had to cut ties and the bike was the most beneficial option at the time. My next one will probably be another cruiser.

No it won't! And if you do get another cruiser you will probably keep it half the time you did the other one you had lol. They are not your style!

Sinfix_15
07-20-2014, 12:54 PM
My 08 R6 is my first bike but learned to ride on a GSXR 600, the Suzuki was slower and I felt like I had to work harder to get the bike to handle the way I wanted to. With my R6 its effortless flicking the bike through the turns, I do crave some more low end power. I'm not sure what I'd do with it honestly lol, I love that after 10k she starts scream through the gears.

Does ur r6 have -1/+2 sprockets? I dont think i could ride this bike if it didnt. The headrush at high rpm is fun but the bottom end in soft as a bag of vaginas. Sprocket swap seems like a requirement. I like it, riding thru the mountain between 11-14k rpm, it sounds like a logging crew is sawwing the forrest down.

Sinfix_15
07-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Damn Obama..... lol

Youre a family man. A cruiser is the way to go. Crotch rockets are only fun when youre doing something stupid on them. Cruisers dont beckon you to be a moron.

00CelicaGT
07-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Does ur r6 have -1/+2 sprockets? I dont think i could ride this bike if it didnt. The headrush at high rpm is fun but the bottom end in soft as a bag of vaginas. Sprocket swap seems like a requirement. I like it, riding thru the mountain between 11-14k rpm, it sounds like a logging crew is sawwing the forrest down.

Nope. It's completely stock except for the Jardine slip-on. I drive to Macon form Henry county (56 miles) 2-4 times a week for work so I'm opting to leave the sprockets alone for now. Most of my riding is down I75 at 85-90mph, I would like to change the sprockets to get a little more out of the bike. I am debating getting a Ducati 899 so I'm not sure if putting the money into the Nike is worth it at this point.

Sinfix_15
07-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Nope. It's completely stock except for the Jardine slip-on. I drive to Macon form Henry county (56 miles) 2-4 times a week for work so I'm opting to leave the sprockets alone for now. Most of my riding is down I75 at 85-90mph, I would like to change the sprockets to get a little more out of the bike. I am debating getting a Ducati 899 so I'm not sure if putting the money into the Nike is worth it at this point.

Ducatis suck. Dont buy into the hype. Vtwin, dry clutch.... they suck balls.

00CelicaGT
07-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Lol! I rode one 2 weeks ago and fell in love with the low end torque and mid range power it Handles effortlessly and you can't beat the looks. It's not a screamer on the top end like the R6 but it still maintained the power. This is what I really want out of a bike.. I was considering a KTM RC8 but the seat on that bike sucks major ass. The sharp edge design continues into the seat and it digs into your inner thig, (No matter if your standing or sitting), I didn't get a chance to ride it just sat on it at Mountain Motorsports. Maybe if I rode it I could sacrifice the seat for the power and handling... Maybe!

Sinfix_15
07-20-2014, 11:17 PM
Lol! I rode one 2 weeks ago and fell in love with the low end torque and mid range power it Handles effortlessly and you can't beat the looks. It's not a screamer on the top end like the R6 but it still maintained the power. This is what I really want out of a bike.. I was considering a KTM RC8 but the seat on that bike sucks major ass. The sharp edge design continues into the seat and it digs into your inner thig, (No matter if your standing or sitting), I didn't get a chance to ride it just sat on it at Mountain Motorsports. Maybe if I rode it I could sacrifice the seat for the power and handling... Maybe!

Been on an 08+ cbr1000? It will slap the taste out of a ducati's mouth.

I just dont like any of the vtwin bikes. Then you throw in the dry clutch sound and heat and thats a wrap. Ducati is a beauty though.

00CelicaGT
07-21-2014, 09:17 AM
I have not ridden an 08+ only an 05. not sure how I feel about the V-twins either since they are heat monsters from what I've heard, but when I rode the 899 it was a short 3-4mile ride and never got stuck at a red light. the 899 has a wet clutch in it which was a bit disappointing since a former co-worker had a monster I got to ride and I really liked that dry clutch chatter..:crazy:

Kinda at a cross roads, but I change my mind all the time so who's to say what I'll be riding come next summer.

Sinfix_15
07-21-2014, 03:34 PM
I have not ridden an 08+ only an 05. not sure how I feel about the V-twins either since they are heat monsters from what I've heard, but when I rode the 899 it was a short 3-4mile ride and never got stuck at a red light. the 899 has a wet clutch in it which was a bit disappointing since a former co-worker had a monster I got to ride and I really liked that dry clutch chatter..:crazy:

Kinda at a cross roads, but I change my mind all the time so who's to say what I'll be riding come next summer.
I rode a 1098 in the hot florida sun last year. Didnt get to stretch out or hang any turns, just bar hopped. I think my thighs and nuts are still medium well.

I had a ktm pull in beside me at hibachi the other day. First time ive ever seen one, sharp lookin bike. I like anything thats orange.

On the highway ridin with -1/+2, it aint too bad. I think im usually cruisin at 8kish. Im thinkin about takin the back sprocket off but i fear the results.

If you get sa ducati, keep an ice pack and a stick of ball deodorant in your backpack, but me personally, id have to pull a valentino rossi and throw that thing the dueces.

Bacon
07-22-2014, 01:43 PM
No it won't! And if you do get another cruiser you will probably keep it half the time you did the other one you had lol. They are not your style!

I loved my cruiser. Although the sportbikes are great, I never used the R6 to its full potential. All I do is cruise and take it easy. I'd rather have the comfort of a cruiser for that.

Also......Angel. Just sayin'

Damn Obama..... lol

Youre a family man. A cruiser is the way to go. Crotch rockets are only fun when youre doing something stupid on them. Cruisers dont beckon you to be a moron.

Not anything related to Obama. Her boss's wife was a cunt and never trained her properly for her last position and then fired her for it. I am also nursing a back injury.