PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Korean Grocery Giants

C22H19N3O4
12-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Article from earlier this year. (http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/opinion/200504/kt2005041419154054100.htm) I shop at one of these stores at least 3 times a week. Members of my family are associated with some of the owners/developers of the mega grocery stores. Oh some of the stories they can tell :lmfao: If you're Korean (not you half-breeds and twinkies ;)) you know what I'm talking about. I was utterly amazed at how much an independent Korean Pharmacy makes :eek: .

AznTraitor
12-11-2005, 07:35 AM
It's crazy.....my parents use to own Little Saigon shopping center on Buford Hwy, and they were working on creating the biggest asian shopping center in GA on Buford Hwy (the mall where Burlington Coat Factory is) I forget the name they were named it....but they added that entranceway with the clock and brought in the Hong Kong Super Market, and a few other asian stores, but with that area being so heavily dominated by the Spanish market because it was a little further down Buford Hwy, they sold it to a group of mexican investors....my parents have had lots of offers to do joint ventures with new shopping centers, but it's alot of work...like the Gwinnett International Farmer's market which is going to be in the old Bass Pro Shops building, but it's been like 4 years in the making, my parents just thought it was too long for scheduled completion and the return wouldnt be that great, but I'll guess we will see in the next year or so when it's suppose to open.

pharm_teg, are you Korean? if you are, and you have family that are investors or owners of any local business's, I'm sure you have heard of the name "June Park"...she has her hand in just about everything....very smart woman, she owns and operates like 6 or 7 shopping centers here in GA, and about a dozen business's ranging from jewelry to resturants...

I use to be pretty involved with my parent's business's...I'd run documents to Govt centers for license's or drop off info to other investors...

but Super H mart has changed the whole scene here in ATL....

SniperJoe
12-11-2005, 08:05 AM
I really like the Super H mart, as it is the only place that I know of where I can get a 20 lb. bag of rice. Plus, it's always fun to see the look on everyone's faces when I start talking to them in Korean.

AznTraitor
12-11-2005, 08:23 AM
I only wish parking was a little better there....and there's nothing worse than a parking lot packed full of asian's who cant drive and park.

they shouldve made parking spots two cars wide.

SniperJoe
12-11-2005, 09:40 AM
I haven't really had a problem there, but I typically go at less peak times. The section of Pleasant Hill in front of the store is a minefield, though. That's always a hairy turn or two.

Crazy Asian
12-11-2005, 09:41 AM
YA soorry we asians are taking over atlanta. Sorry were mad rushin here from cali and were goin to infest it...so ahead of time sorryy.....

AznTraitor
12-11-2005, 04:05 PM
YA soorry we asians are taking over atlanta. Sorry were mad rushin here from cali and were goin to infest it...so ahead of time sorryy.....

not so much from cali anymore...more of New York, Chicago, Ohio areas....

Crazy Asian
12-11-2005, 04:17 PM
O RLY!????

IndianStig
12-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Hahaha, the Asian Azn's are not the only ones, lol. Us Indians are coming up too, lol. The H-Mart and Assi are still better then Indian stores tho, my mom goes there sometimes. LOL, is that June Park a real estate agent? I think she was at my house one day.

AznTraitor
12-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Hahaha, the Asian Azn's are not the only ones, lol. Us Indians are coming up too, lol. The H-Mart and Assi are still better then Indian stores tho, my mom goes there sometimes. LOL, is that June Park a real estate agent? I think she was at my house one day.

Ummm...she owns Commercial Real estates and I think might have her own commercial real estate company....but I dont think she actually gets involved with them personally....I know for a fact that she visits all of her resturants on a weekly basis as well as her jewelry stores, but I think she has her husband and two daugthers work with the rest.

IndianStig
12-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeha commercial, I think she was with my dad and some loan dude. Does she drive a Black S-Class?

Crazy Asian
12-11-2005, 09:12 PM
HAAHH SHES MY DADS AGENT TOO!!! HAAHHAAH

AznTraitor
12-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeha commercial, I think she was with my dad and some loan dude. Does she drive a Black S-Class?

haha! yes she does!

RandomGuy
12-12-2005, 03:01 AM
kochu pado bitches

Kevykev
12-12-2005, 12:38 PM
If you're Korean (not you half-breeds and twinkies ;)) you know what I'm talking about. .

How mean.

B16a2 Civic
12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Lol@ half freed's
that'll be me :(
interesting story.

Negrodamus
12-12-2005, 01:13 PM
I'd marry Kay Kim......"only for the money"

The Golden Child
12-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Lol@ half freed's
that'll be me :(
interesting story.

sall gewd g still a kigga in my book .. :goodjob:

C22H19N3O4
12-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Us Indians are coming up too, lol.

I await with bated breath. :lmfao:

C22H19N3O4
12-13-2005, 02:13 PM
I'd marry Kay Kim......"only for the money"

Uh...Kay Kim is my mom. :rant:

IntegraXTR
12-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Uh...Kay Kim is my mom. :rant:

serious? you mean that chick on the billboard off 85N/S is your mom?

AznTraitor
12-13-2005, 02:22 PM

lol.....

IntegraXTR
12-13-2005, 02:25 PM
lol.....

o yeh, dude your parents use to own little saigon, man I use to go there a long time ago with my parents when I was little, it was near hong kong supermarket right?

C22H19N3O4
12-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I really like the Super H mart, as it is the only place that I know of where I can get a 20 lb. bag of rice. Plus, it's always fun to see the look on everyone's faces when I start talking to them in Korean.

Super H is a nice store just like the ones up north. It seems there are more White people during lunch time than Asians, which is a good thing, as far as diversity and acceptance into the neighborhood. BUT, there are times you just want to get away from White people while grocery shopping. Then again, all I have to do is just look to my right (my girlfriend) to realize I can't escape them. ;) :lmfao:

C22H19N3O4
12-13-2005, 02:29 PM

Guess who's idea it was for her agents to drive around in the VW Beetles? ;)

AznTraitor
12-13-2005, 02:32 PM
o yeh, dude your parents use to own little saigon, man I use to go there a long time ago with my parents when I was little, it was near hong kong supermarket right?

yeah, they also owned the shopping center where Hong Kong supermarket is located....but that place has changed in the last 2 years....

IntegraXTR
12-13-2005, 02:35 PM
so since your parents own/owned all that, then can you hook me up with a box of yeo's soy bean drink and coconut drink.

AznTraitor
12-13-2005, 02:39 PM
so since your parents own/owned all that, then can you hook me up with a box of yeo's soy bean drink and coconut drink.

lol....they never owned the "store" they owned the property and the building that the store was in!

we didnt even get discounts.....but we did get shuffled to front of the lines!

I remeber when me and my dad would visit when Hong Kong was still nearing the completing stages....and grab a green grass jelly drink while walking around...

the coconut drink...that stuff is awesome...I throw them in the freezer and pull them about 1 hour before I want to have one, best way to drink/eat it.

Miknow
12-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Super H is a nice store just like the ones up north. It seems there are more White people during lunch time than Asians, which is a good thing, as far as diversity and acceptance into the neighborhood. BUT, there are times you just want to get away from White people while grocery shopping. Then again, all I have to do is just look to my right (my girlfriend) to realize I can't escape them. ;) :lmfao:

hehe there are only there to try to pick up asian chicks.