PDA

View Full Version : another interesting argument...

MachNU
12-10-2005, 11:20 AM
since the last one did so well, i have one for people. Its more or less a debate question buts it still is fun to hear what people have to say. It may be considered a religious question to soem but its jsut to waht YOU believe in.

Do you believe in destiny or free-will? Why?

quickdodgeŽ
12-10-2005, 11:44 AM
I dropped this off in CIVIL TALK. Interesting, smart discussions always happens in here.

I guess I would believe in FREE WILL. You make your life what it is by your own actions. I do realize that other people can influence your life too, but, you are the ultimate influence on what goes on. It is hard to say, because no one can prove the actual existance of a God, nor can evidence of destiny be found. Later, QD.

MachNU
12-10-2005, 11:48 AM
LOL I was right i figured you moved it. No biggie. But yeah this question will prove really what you believe in. To believe in god you believe in destiny, but to blieve in free-will you believe that you have full control over your life, and odds are dont believe so heavily in the existence of a god.

quickdodgeŽ
12-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Well. I'm not a God non-believer. I'm a "not sure" person. Lots of questions, you know? Later, QD.

MachNU
12-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Well. I'm not a God non-believer. I'm a "not sure" person. Lots of questions, you know? Later, QD.

Yeah thats what i meant by free-will you believe there is a higher powe but you believe he doesnt control your actions, that everything you do is fueled by your own thoughts and actions.

With regards to questions i have tons of them to, my favorite one is who came first Adam and Eve or the dinosours(sp)?

trini_gsr
12-14-2005, 09:32 PM
I believe in both, I think they actually work hand in hand. I believe it's destined for certain things to happen to you based on the choices you make (this is just cause and effect, law of the universe, some might call it karma), but how you navigate to and through those things is determined entirely by free will.

Here's an example - everybody living right now is destined to die at some point (this destiny was caused by being born). What you do between now and then is governed by your free will.

the adam and eve thing is a whole 'nother can of worms. lol. the Genesis creation story (and the flood story) more or less mimics a creation account found in some Sumerian texts called the Enuma Elish - this creation story predates Genesis by several hundred years, so it woulda been common knowledge to someone like Moses, who wrote the 1st five books of the Bible and who was supposed to be educated as a prince in Egypt's royal courts. so you can't say this is just coincidence...

i don't wanna make this post too long...but basically in the Enuma Elish, they say that a group of 'gods' or aliens from a different planet in our solar system genetically cross-bred themselves with prehistoric man to create humans as we know them. so the dinosaurs woulda came and went by then. lol...if you look at the plot line it kinda follows the whole scenario in Genesis, except the imagery is just different. plus, if you read Genesis carefully it's almost like they're telling TWO different creation stories and trying to integrate them into one...

personally i think both stories are symbolic, different ways to describe what REALLY happened back then. this is all assuming you believe in the western world's idea of 'God' and what not...

MachNU
12-15-2005, 01:37 PM
I believe in both, I think they actually work hand in hand. I believe it's destined for certain things to happen to you based on the choices you make (this is just cause and effect, law of the universe, some might call it karma), but how you navigate to and through those things is determined entirely by free will.

Here's an example - everybody living right now is destined to die at some point (this destiny was caused by being born). What you do between now and then is governed by your free will.

the adam and eve thing is a whole 'nother can of worms. lol. the Genesis creation story (and the flood story) more or less mimics a creation account found in some Sumerian texts called the Enuma Elish - this creation story predates Genesis by several hundred years, so it woulda been common knowledge to someone like Moses, who wrote the 1st five books of the Bible and who was supposed to be educated as a prince in Egypt's royal courts. so you can't say this is just coincidence...

i don't wanna make this post too long...but basically in the Enuma Elish, they say that a group of 'gods' or aliens from a different planet in our solar system genetically cross-bred themselves with prehistoric man to create humans as we know them. so the dinosaurs woulda came and went by then. lol...if you look at the plot line it kinda follows the whole scenario in Genesis, except the imagery is just different. plus, if you read Genesis carefully it's almost like they're telling TWO different creation stories and trying to integrate them into one...

personally i think both stories are symbolic, different ways to describe what REALLY happened back then. this is all assuming you believe in the western world's idea of 'God' and what not...

WOW i have never seen so many contradictions in a few paragrpahs, but i will jstu go with what you said in the bold.

If you believe that you where dstined to die at a certain time, then you just said that you dont have a free will. becuase if you have a set time when you are suspose to die, then that means no matter what decision you make, there will be one decision that is already set for you to make. be it something early in your life, or just a moments notice. If you believe that you have a set time to die, then you believe in destiny. Because if there is a end already mapped out for you, then that means that every decision you make is building up to that one instances in time.

trini_gsr
12-15-2005, 05:13 PM
WOW i have never seen so many contradictions in a few paragrpahs, but i will jstu go with what you said in the bold.

If you believe that you where dstined to die at a certain time, then you just said that you dont have a free will. becuase if you have a set time when you are suspose to die, then that means no matter what decision you make, there will be one decision that is already set for you to make. be it something early in your life, or just a moments notice. If you believe that you have a set time to die, then you believe in destiny. Because if there is a end already mapped out for you, then that means that every decision you make is building up to that one instances in time.

contradictions? this subject is very abstract, and a little difficult for me to explain it, sorry if it seems confusing. what other contradictions do you see besides this one?

to clarify tho...i didn't say i believe you are destined to die AT A CERTAIN TIME. you are simply destined to die. i don't see how this fact can be argued...death is unavoidable for all living things. HOW and WHEN you die, however, is determined by free will. does this clear things up?

MachNU
12-15-2005, 07:19 PM
so then you jsut believe in free will then!

trini_gsr
12-15-2005, 07:35 PM
nah B...i believe in both! lol :D

MachNU
12-15-2005, 07:44 PM
contradictions? this subject is very abstract, and a little difficult for me to explain it, sorry if it seems confusing. what other contradictions do you see besides this one?

to clarify tho...i didn't say i believe you are destined to die AT A CERTAIN TIME. you are simply destined to die. i don't see how this fact can be argued...death is unavoidable for all living things. HOW and WHEN you die, however, is determined by free will. does this clear things up?

;)

{X}Echo419
12-16-2005, 11:09 AM
LOL I was right i figured you moved it. No biggie. But yeah this question will prove really what you believe in. To believe in god you believe in destiny, but to blieve in free-will you believe that you have full control over your life, and odds are dont believe so heavily in the existence of a god.

that's why god created man/woman. he wanted someone to love him because they wanted to not because their love for him was "built in". I can see how 1 could believe in free-will without believing in God but I can't understand how someone could believe in destiny without believing in God. but that's just me

MachNU
12-16-2005, 11:37 AM
that's why god created man/woman. he wanted someone to love him because they wanted to not because their love for him was "built in". I can see how 1 could believe in free-will without believing in God but I can't understand how someone could believe in destiny without believing in God. but that's just me

:confused: :confused: :confused: I said that if you believe in free will odds are that you dont believe in a god,a nd if you believe in destiny then you believe there is a god, though soem do believe in destiny but dotn believe in a god!

{X}Echo419
12-19-2005, 01:19 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: I said that if you believe in free will odds are that you dont believe in a god, and if you believe in destiny then you believe there is a god, though soem do believe in destiny but dotn believe in a god!

I guess you didn't read my 1st sentance :confused:
what could control your "destiny" if not a god?