PDA

View Full Version : Worth it?

AZN_Pride
10-17-2013, 03:33 AM
I have an 06 ZX6R and I am thinking about trading it for an RB25 swapped 95 240sx. The engine is stock and has a few bolt ons such as a intake manifold, FMIC, and exhaust. He has McKinney mounts installed and supposedly an R32 Skyline differential. He also states that he has replaced all of the bearings with factory Nissan and includes a spare block and transmission.

My question is, would the RB25 swap be worth it? I dont plan on building a 400+hp monster but something clean, fun, and not flashy. I know RB25 parts are a bit more abundant these days but pricey. Will a clean one of kind 636 be a good trade for this 240?

Here is his ad. Yea...I know he cut corners on some of the parts....Godspeed....

"I have a 95 240sx, as the title states, for sale. It has an RB25DET swap with roughly 9000 miles on it. I put all new gaskets, bearings, and ARP head studs in it before the swap was put it. Its a Mckinney mount kit. It has a Freddy intake manifold, FMIC, and a 3" straight pipe. Other than that, the engine is bone stock. It also has a r32 Skyline rear viscous differential, Brembo G35 front brakes with braided stainless lines up front, brand new rear calipers, and all new rotors and pads all the way around. Still on 7psi and stock ecu. The chassis harness and engine harness were cleaned up by myself. The dash harness could use a refreshing, but it all works as it should. It has 17x9 +20 XXR wheels with 255/40/17 BFG KDW 2s that are basically brand new. As far as the suspension goes, it is almost complete. Godspeed Rear upper control arms, toe rods, and traction rods. It also has Megan Racing Track coilovers with about 10000 miles on them. No leaks or anything on them. Just had all the fluids changed out after it sat for a year and a half in storage. It's never gone more than 2000 miles on an oil change. Car will come with a spare engine block,Rb25 transmission, and four 225/45/17 tires with decent tread. I'm looking to get $7500 OBO. !!!!PRICE DROPPED TO $6000!!!!! No joy rides. If you'd like to test drive it, have cash in hand. I built this car from the ground up, so I can answer any questions you might have."

Sinfix_15
10-17-2013, 08:57 AM
People get all excited when they see "RB" but an RB25 isnt anything that special and isnt that expensive. A 95 240sx is still a 95 240sx. Dont view an rb25 240sx as some diamond in the rough, it's not. Collector wise, that setup is nothing special and has no added value over it's value. Look at it like a normal car and judge it like a normal car.

If it was a super clean and good running car that i liked, id probably consider the trade. If it's rough around the edges and needs work, dont give it the benefit of the doubt or think its more valuable than it is because of the rb25, an rb25 240sx is nothing special. View it with the same scrutiny you would if you were looking at a toyota camry.

have any pictures of the car?

AZN_Pride
10-17-2013, 09:07 AM
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af274/Sagara09/null_zpsefa50c0a.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af274/Sagara09/null_zps2e918fe7.jpg

AZN_Pride
10-17-2013, 09:11 AM
People get all excited when they see "RB" but an RB25 isnt anything that special and isnt that expensive. A 95 240sx is still a 95 240sx. Dont view an rb25 240sx as some diamond in the rough, it's not. Collector wise, that setup is nothing special and has no added value over it's value. Look at it like a normal car and judge it like a normal car.

If it was a super clean and good running car that i liked, id probably consider the trade. If it's rough around the edges and needs work, dont give it the benefit of the doubt or think its more valuable than it is because of the rb25, an rb25 240sx is nothing special. View it with the same scrutiny you would if you were looking at a toyota camry.

have any pictures of the car?

The work needed is just set to the quality parts that I prefer. I tend to stick with the name brand parts for quality assurance. I like the car overall and have been wanting a 240 for a while but RB's and SR's are all new to me. I have dealt with primarily Toyotas in the past and have done a Honda build(ish) in the recent past.

David88vert
10-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Here is my view on it. When selling, you try to get everything that you can out of it. You upsell. You ask for what it is worth to you.

When buying, you need to view it as though you were a purchaser for a dealership, like CarMax.
When viewing this car like that, I see:
Mismatched hood, faded paint, probably a little worn interior, there is no mention of mileage on the chassis, engine has been replaced (not stock), non-stock, no-name wheels, etc. They wouldn't even take the car in.
Now, I know that the engine and wheels being replaced is not a negative to you, so let's take that out of the equation. Bottom line though is that it would not assess to receive a "Clean Trade-In" rating. It would be considered as "Average Trade-In".
For the sake of this discussion, we will assume that the chassis/car has 100K miles on it - I'm pretty sure that it has a lot more than that on the chassis, but the engine has been replaced, so we will use that for evaluation.
To a dealer, as an "Average Trade-In", it is worth $2375 per NADA.
As a Clean Trade-In, it is still only worth $2850 per NADA, and that is with a $950 increase due to low mileage (engine replaced).
As a Clean Retail value, a dealership would usually target to sell a car like this for $4,450 per NADA.

AZN_Pride
10-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Not worried about selling. I already have a daily driver that is fairly new. It only has around 70k miles on it.

The purpose of the car isnt to daily drive or commute in. I want to modify the car the way I believe would be the best options for my particular budget and so forth. I would change the turbo manifold, stand alone tuning program, change the turbo to a GT35R, replace the rims, redo the interior, have the body resprayed inside and out, and suspension bits.

The 240 would primarily serve the purpose if a project/toy. The bike doesn't have a lot of value if you want to go by the nada. Zx6rs usually do not retain their value all that well. My standpoint is from an import toy ideal.

I suppose the question should be rephrased. Is an 06 ZX6R worth trading for a 95 240sx with an RB25 or should I look for one with an SR20?

David88vert
10-17-2013, 09:56 AM
If it was a great deal, it would have already sold.

If you just want a project, start with something that will still be worth some of the money that you put into it when you are tired of it.

AZN_Pride
10-17-2013, 10:03 AM
If it was a great deal, it would have already sold.

If you just want a project, start with something that will still be worth some of the money that you put into it when you are tired of it.

With today's car scene and economy, that is very hard to do. I would rather just have fun and make something I can be proud of instead. However, my knowlege of Nissans isn't up to speed and I am wondering what would be better to look for. SR20, KA24, or RB?

Sinfix_15
10-17-2013, 10:46 AM
absolutely not on that 240sx. No, no and hell no.

That's nothing more than your typical beater 240sx that needs paint with some cheap wheels slapped on it and an engine swap. Nobody's jaws drop when they see a stock nose 240sx that needs paint roll in. Nobodies jaws drop when they see an rb25 under the hood of a stock nose 240sx that needs paint.

This is what makes people's jaws drop and that 240 is a longggggg ways away from being there. I would be reluctant to purchase that 240 @ $5k, easy to walk away at 7k+
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cupXmuDGz68/UVquOl0UWyI/AAAAAAAABtE/FU6VmK9qyS0/s1600/modp_0907_01+nissan_240sx_s14+front_right.jpg

Motorcycles are an impulse buy, the same way you had to have it when you got it, someone else will have to have it when they buy it from you. That 240 is easily 5k and a lot of work away from being something people are going to get excited about. I've seen much much better looking cars sell for that on this site alone.

Sinfix_15
10-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Not worried about selling. I already have a daily driver that is fairly new. It only has around 70k miles on it.

The purpose of the car isnt to daily drive or commute in. I want to modify the car the way I believe would be the best options for my particular budget and so forth. I would change the turbo manifold, stand alone tuning program, change the turbo to a GT35R, replace the rims, redo the interior, have the body resprayed inside and out, and suspension bits.

The 240 would primarily serve the purpose if a project/toy. The bike doesn't have a lot of value if you want to go by the nada. Zx6rs usually do not retain their value all that well. My standpoint is from an import toy ideal.

I suppose the question should be rephrased. Is an 06 ZX6R worth trading for a 95 240sx with an RB25 or should I look for one with an SR20?

Look for one with OEM body modifications, that is where the real time and money in 240sxs is. It's also what makes them stand out. rb25 is never a swap id actually purchase if i had a car that needed an engine, so i value that swap low.

Sinfix_15
10-17-2013, 10:55 AM
This is what i expect out of a 240 over 5k, appearance wise. With that car being a ka auto, he'd probably take a lot less than that asking price.

1997 Nissan 240sx s14 80,000 miles (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4099166115.html)

David88vert
10-17-2013, 10:56 AM
With today's car scene and economy, that is very hard to do. I would rather just have fun and make something I can be proud of instead. However, my knowlege of Nissans isn't up to speed and I am wondering what would be better to look for. SR20, KA24, or RB?

Foxbody.

Sorry, I had to.... :D

AZN_Pride
10-17-2013, 11:02 AM
The problem is this, not many are wanting to trade their cars for a bike. I have contacted many people and have posted my bike on CL in many cities within a reasonable distance. You have to remember that I am also in the middle-of-nowhere Alabama right now and imports are hard to find. I get 4x4 offers but I am just not a truck or jeep guy.

Another thing is that most people will not pay more than 4500 for my particular bike. Its hard to even get 5k for it even with that much in extras alone.

AZN_Pride
10-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Foxbody.

Sorry, I had to.... :D

I would love one, but people want gold for those things now for some reason. All the ones in my area want 4-6k for one that is beat up to hell and back. Of course in Alabama, V8 is gold here.

Sinfix_15
10-17-2013, 11:11 AM
The problem is this, not many are wanting to trade their cars for a bike. I have contacted many people and have posted my bike on CL in many cities within a reasonable distance. You have to remember that I am also in the middle-of-nowhere Alabama right now and imports are hard to find. I get 4x4 offers but I am just not a truck or jeep guy.

Another thing is that most people will not pay more than 4500 for my particular bike. Its hard to even get 5k for it even with that much in extras alone.

Keep fishing, that 240 you're looking at is a dime a dozen. You'll spend more money than that car is worth to have something you'd be proud of. Besides, is it really breaking your heart to have a crotch rocket? Be patient, dont take a loss because you're in a hurry. It's october.... bike market is cold. When summer time comes back around, people will be back in "gotta have a bike" mode.

AZN_Pride
10-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Keep fishing, that 240 you're looking at is a dime a dozen. You'll spend more money than that car is worth to have something you'd be proud of. Besides, is it really breaking your heart to have a crotch rocket? Be patient, dont take a loss because you're in a hurry. It's october.... bike market is cold. When summer time comes back around, people will be back in "gotta have a bike" mode.

It will also be 2014 and they probably dont want to offer much for an 06. I may lose more money in the long run that way. Its hard to predict. Any car I get, not matter what it is will be torn down and built to my liking. I just want to steer clear of another Honda.

David88vert
10-17-2013, 12:15 PM
I would love one, but people want gold for those things now for some reason. All the ones in my area want 4-6k for one that is beat up to hell and back. Of course in Alabama, V8 is gold here.

They are a dime-a-dozen here. I couldn't get much out of mine if I sold it, and mine is far nicer than 90% of them out there.

There is a red 91 coupe on CL with Vortech V2 and Tremec 3550 for $10K OBO. He'll be lucky to get $8K for it just because of the economy, and it's much cleaner and faster than the 240 you have in the top of this thread.