PDA

View Full Version : Racist or no?

BanginJimmy
09-01-2013, 01:19 PM
I say absolutely not and completely agree with the Dunkin Donuts Thia CEO.

Dunkin' Donuts apologizes for 'racist' blackface ad campaign | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/31/dunkin-donuts-apologizes-for-racist-blackface-ad-campaign/)

The comments I agree with:
"It's absolutely ridiculous," the CEO Nadim Salhani said in a telephone interview. "We're not allowed to use black to promote our doughnuts? I don't get it. What's the big fuss? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist?"

"Not everybody in the world is paranoid about racism," said Salhani, a Lebanese expatriate in Thailand who said his teenage daughter was the model featured in the campaign.

Elbow
09-02-2013, 02:10 PM
I don't think it's racist, what a joke. People are too up tight. I don't think I would have done the ad though if it were my business because you could see the backlash coming.

ISAtlanta300
09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I find clowns that paint their faces white racist then.......... ban all clowns!! how dare they???

Sinfix_15
09-02-2013, 07:27 PM
I find clowns that paint their faces white racist then.......... ban all clowns!! how dare they???

http://frontpagemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/rodeo-clown-obama.jpg

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/16/rodeo-clown-who-mocked-obama-committed-hate-crime-/ <<<< The NAACP said this was a hate crime and suggested the DOJ look into it.

D3UC3S
09-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Its getting to be a ridiculous, one sided circus of stupidity.

I hate everyone equally.

BanginJimmy
09-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Racism is one of those terms that has been over used over the last several years it no longer has a legitimate meaning.

NAACP is just talking themselves into obscurity. Its actually kind of sad because 25 years ago the NAACP was a very prominent organization with a real purpose. Now, just a mouthpiece for getting the colored folks all upity over nothing.

bu villain
09-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Got to disagree on this one. While it may not have intended to be about race, the pitch black face with bright red lips is iconic blackface. It's kind like, hey we made a picture of a white guy with a charlie chaplin mustache in a military uniform saluting. It may not be about Nazism but it sure as hell looks like Hitler. Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but when I saw that ad, I immediately thought blackface.

Sinfix_15
09-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Got to disagree on this one. While it may not have intended to be about race, the pitch black face with bright red lips is iconic blackface. It's kind like, hey we made a picture of a white guy with a charlie chaplin mustache in a military uniform saluting. It may not be about Nazism but it sure as hell looks like Hitler. Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but when I saw that ad, I immediately thought blackface.

Put it in context, this commercial played in Thailand not Chicago. Either way, the boy has cried wolf so many times, at this point i dont care if the wolf eats him. False accusation of racism is a bigger issue in modern society than actual racism.

bu villain
09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Put it in context, this commercial played in Thailand not Chicago.

Sure, I agree it is quite possible if not highly likely it was not intended in a racist manner. But to those who are well aware of blackface and its history, it's a very easy connection to make.

Either way, the boy has cried wolf so many times, at this point i dont care if the wolf eats him. False accusation of racism is a bigger issue in modern society than actual racism.

That is the main point I think. Some people are hypersensitive to race, others are desensitized to it and almost everyone thinks their personal feelings are the right ones.

Sinfix_15
09-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Sure, I agree it is quite possible if not highly likely it was not intended in a racist manner. But to those who are well aware of blackface and its history, it's a very easy connection to make.

That is the main point I think. Some people are hypersensitive to race, others are desensitized to it and almost everyone thinks their personal feelings are the right ones.

Statistics support my personal feelings.

bu villain
09-03-2013, 05:57 PM
I don't understand. Are you saying statistics dictate how people feel?

ISAtlanta300
09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Sure, I agree it is quite possible if not highly likely it was not intended in a racist manner. But to those who are well aware of blackface and its history, it's a very easy connection to make..

Trust me, I completely see your point of view.....

....however, it only BECOMES blackface to those who want to SEE it as blackface. Racism is a personal perception in this case. It would only be racist if the ad was indeed implying that it was blackface......in this case, it was not intended to be blackface....it is a f**king charcoal doughnut. lol

bu villain
09-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Trust me, I completely see your point of view.....

....however, it only BECOMES blackface to those who want to SEE it as blackface. Racism is a personal perception in this case. It would only be racist if the ad was indeed implying that it was blackface......in this case, it was not intended to be blackface....it is a f**king charcoal doughnut. lol

Yes, sounds like we are pretty much on the same page. Although I wouldn't say people "want" to see blackface. It's just what connection their mind naturally makes, there is not a choice about it. Also I don't think it would have been an issue if the entire face was black but they decided to make the lips bright red. That one little detail could have made it a non issue. Btw, whoever does the marketing over there should be fired. I mean seriously, who thinks a charcoal donut sounds delicious?

BanginJimmy
09-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Yes, sounds like we are pretty much on the same page. Although I wouldn't say people "want" to see blackface. It's just what connection their mind naturally makes, there is not a choice about it. Also I don't think it would have been an issue if the entire face was black but they decided to make the lips bright red. That one little detail could have made it a non issue. Btw, whoever does the marketing over there should be fired. I mean seriously, who thinks a charcoal donut sounds delicious?

It seems to be doing great though. The article says sales are up since the start of the campaign.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2.

bu villain
09-04-2013, 03:26 PM
It seems to be doing great though. The article says sales are up since the start of the campaign.

Ohh maybe they are smarter than I thought. Create an ad that they know will cause controversy due to it's questionable race elements. Everyone will talk about it and now their charcoal donut is on everyone's minds. Sales soar. On second thought, maybe their marketing team should get bonuses.

Sinfix_15
09-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Ohh maybe they are smarter than I thought. Create an ad that they know will cause controversy due to it's questionable race elements. Everyone will talk about it and now their charcoal donut is on everyone's minds. Sales soar. On second thought, maybe their marketing team should get bonuses.

Theyre from thailand.......................................... ............................................. they dont have racism rammed down their throat daily by race hustlers like americans do. Is it beyond the realm of possibility that race wasnt on anyone's mind when making this commercial?

bu villain
09-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Theyre from thailand.......................................... ............................................. they dont have racism rammed down their throat daily by race hustlers like americans do. Is it beyond the realm of possibility that race wasnt on anyone's mind when making this commercial?

I guessed you skipped over my post where I said that is most likely the case.

BanginJimmy
09-04-2013, 04:11 PM

Agree with the ad or not, this tactic has worked here in the States dozens of times before. Think about the K-Mart "Ship My Pants" ad.

bu villain
09-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Absolutely! Ignorant or genius. You decide.

BanginJimmy
09-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Absolutely! Ignorant or genius. You decide.

A little of both.

Pretty much a standard marketing campaign there. Ignorant in thinking that it would be ignored. Genius in the way the CEO handled it, by basicly telling everyone to grow up.

.blank cd
09-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Is it beyond the realm of possibility that race wasnt on anyone's mind when making this commercial?

Didnt think you dealt in the "realm of possibility"