PDA

View Full Version : I hate diesel VW engines

Matt300ZXT
07-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Me and a friend changed a timing belt/water pump on his wife's 05 Beetle TDI turbo last night (I was more or less drafted than volunteered) and used a kit from one of the respected TDI parts dealers. It has 2 belts, new water pump with metal impellers instead of plastic, the tools needed to lock the crank and cam in place, new motor mount bolts, etc. We tore the thing apart per instructions on an online walkthrough and put it all back together the exact same way. The cam pulley went back in the exact same place as it came off as evident by things lining up like they were supposed to and the slight surface scratches left by the bolt's head lining up. Got it all back together, and even when spinning the motor over by hand I felt it go through compression and exhaust strokes and we heard no funny noises.

He finishes up today with the small things and goes to start it and nothing. It turns over like it's supposed to and sounds normal, i.e. no metal clanking noises, and still won't start. I hate damn diesel engines because they're completely different animals, and I really didn't want to help with that job. Now, 7 to 7.5 hours of my time are gone and the fucker STILL won't start and run.

MeFryRice
07-24-2013, 03:04 PM
I feel you on this as well. We have a 98 TDI Jetta that we had the injection pump rebuilt (seals were leaking) and ever since, I haven't been able to get it started. I've replaced the fuel filter and bleed the fuel lines.

Sinfix_15
07-24-2013, 05:19 PM
You're not holding your mouth right.