PDA

View Full Version : Outrage about bilingual interviews at HR Derby

.blank cd
07-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Ignorance, racism, über-nationalism. Where have I seen this combination before?

http://deadspin.com/people-were-angry-about-espns-bilingual-interviews-of-794474276

bu villain
07-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Some of those people sure feel entitled. They think just because an event is taking place in the US or run by a US business, it must be catered to English speakers and ONLY English speakers. Apparently ESPN and the league shouldn't get to decide how to present the event and it's coverage.

.blank cd
07-16-2013, 03:17 PM
How "liberal" of those people. Lol.

Sinfix_15
07-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Everyone is on the offensive these days.... Just how the left planned it. The more racial tension there is, the better they like it. There's a lot of groups who would be powerless if people actually got along.

Racism is coming from all directions on twitter.... but black people are the ones beating people in the streets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=raLMDy3-zl4

bu villain
07-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Everyone is on the offensive these days.... Just how the left planned it. The more racial tension there is, the better they like it. There's a lot of groups who would be powerless if people actually got along.

If you believe this, then why are you stoking the flames of racial tension with comments like the one below?

Racism is coming from all directions on twitter.... but black people are the ones beating people in the streets.

Sinfix_15
07-16-2013, 03:53 PM
If you believe this, then why are you stoking the flames of racial tension with comments like the one below?

Because it's true.

bu villain
07-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Just surprised your are so eager to help the left and groups "who would be powerless if people actually got along." I bet you tell your wife (assuming you have one) she looks fat in her jeans too.

Sinfix_15
07-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Just surprised your are so eager to help the left and groups "who would be powerless if people actually got along." I bet you tell your wife (assuming you have one) she looks fat in her jeans too.

Your analogy is a little off....... the black/white racial tension would be about like this married couple.....

Guy is at home cooking dinner for his wife.
Wife comes in the door and starts beating husband with frying pan.
Husband asks her what her problem is.
Wife says she read something in cosmo that pissed her off.
Husband says "are you fucking crazy, you cant assault me because you read something in cosmo"
Wife replies "Thats racist"

bu villain
07-16-2013, 04:25 PM
In that case, your response would probably be to yell at her about how she is such a crazy bitch just like her sister and needs electro-shock therapy. Then you go complain to your buddy (ImportAtlanta) about how relationship with your wife is so bad and how it is all her fault. You place such a high importance on being right and trying to make sure everyone knows it even when it has the effect of perpetuating the very issue you are complaining about.

BanginJimmy
07-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Ignorance, racism, über-nationalism. Where have I seen this combination before?

People Were Angry About ESPN's Bilingual Interviews Of Cuban Players (http://deadspin.com/people-were-angry-about-espns-bilingual-interviews-of-794474276)

Let me guess. A small minority here speaks for the masses, but a small minority in a group you like is just that, a small minority?

Your comparisons are about as accurate as saying every black in the country shares the same ideology the black panthers.

Its not like I expect anything of value to come from you though. You and sinfix really are made for each other. Both of you spout endless drivel with no substance.

Sinfix_15
07-16-2013, 04:30 PM
In that case, your response would probably be to yell at her about how she is such a crazy bitch just like her sister and needs electro-shock therapy. Then you go complain to your buddy (ImportAtlanta) about how relationship with your wife is so bad and how it is all her fault. You place such a high importance on being right and trying to make sure everyone knows it even when it has the effect of perpetuating the very issue you are complaining about.

My response would be to kick her out of my house, but in this particular scenario, we are forced to continue living together. So my response would be to seek counselling, probably beginning with a friend who would also inform her that what she was doing was wrong. I dont want her to think that her actions are justified and continue doing them or get worse.

Sinfix_15
07-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Let me guess. A small minority here speaks for the masses, but a small minority in a group you like is just that, a small minority?

Your comparisons are about as accurate as saying every black in the country shares the same ideology the black panthers.

Its not like I expect anything of value to come from you though. You and sinfix really are made for each other. Both of you spout endless drivel with no substance.

The difference would be that most of my arguing is satirical.

BanginJimmy
07-16-2013, 04:38 PM
The difference would be that most of my arguing is satirical.

Whatever you want to call it. Its equally baseless.

bu villain
07-16-2013, 04:57 PM
My response would be to kick her out of my house, but in this particular scenario, we are forced to continue living together. So my response would be to seek counselling, probably beginning with a friend who would also inform her that what she was doing was wrong. I dont want her to think that her actions are justified and continue doing them or get worse.

So you seem to understand the concept of tact and delivery and how they are important for getting the outcome you desire and yet you regularly ignore both when talking about black people here. You don't do the equivalent of seeking counseling and asking a friend to inform the black community of your grievances, you berate them directly, loudly, and angrily and then cry of being called racist if anyone says they think you are wrong. Therefore, it seems to me that the desired outcome isn't to actually promote change in the community, it is simply to be right and be as arrogant as possible about it.

Sinfix_15
07-16-2013, 05:07 PM
So you seem to understand the concept of tact and delivery and how they are important for getting the outcome you desire and yet you regularly ignore both when talking about black people here. You don't do the equivalent of seeking counseling and asking a friend to inform the black community of your grievances, you berate them directly, loudly, and angrily and then cry of being called racist if anyone says they think you are wrong. Therefore, it seems to me that the desired outcome isn't to actually promote change in the community, it is simply to be right and be as arrogant as possible about it.

There's a difference between tact, delivery and laying down to kiss someone's feet. It's like raising your kids..... if my son hit my car with a baseball, i wouldnt whip him... we'd have a calm conversation about being more careful. If he did it again... i still wouldnt whip him... would have another calm conversation and maybe take away his baseball for a while.

Now let's say i walk outside and my son throws a baseball threw my window and says "that's for all those times you made me eat my vegetables you oppressive bitch, now apologize before i start breaking more shit"...

Well... at that point, i'm beating his ass.

The black community has had many a calm conversation.... and they still seem to think that it's ok to throw rocks when they dont get their way.

.blank cd
07-16-2013, 05:07 PM

I'm sorry, what was I comparing again? This entire post was useless. Lol

I think you might be guilty, once again, of jumping to your own conclusions.

BanginJimmy
07-16-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry, what was I comparing again? This entire post was useless. Lol

I think you might be guilty, once again, of jumping to your own conclusions.

You are just caught again and dont want to admit it. Dont worry about it though. Everyone recognizes it.

Sinfix_15
07-16-2013, 05:30 PM
twitter is fun
Appalling: The Nation attributes Zimmerman verdict to ‘white supremacy’ | Twitchy (http://twitchy.com/2013/07/14/appalling-the-nation-attributes-zimmerman-verdict-to-white-supremacy/?utm_source=autotweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter)

.blank cd
07-16-2013, 06:32 PM
You are just caught again and dont want to admit it. Dont worry about it though. Everyone recognizes it.

Thought so.

.blank cd
07-16-2013, 06:32 PM
twitter is fun
Appalling: The Nation attributes Zimmerman verdict to ‘white supremacy’ | Twitchy (http://twitchy.com/2013/07/14/appalling-the-nation-attributes-zimmerman-verdict-to-white-supremacy/?utm_source=autotweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter)

Just to let you know, my post has nothing to do with Zimmerman.

Sinfix_15
07-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Just to let you know, my post has nothing to do with Zimmerman.

Didnt say it did.... i dont think the racist outrage of Trayvon supporters has anything to do with Zimmerman either.... he just happens to be their martyr

quickdodge®
07-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Everyone is on the offensive these days....

This is probably one of the few things I've seen you post that I agree with.

And this quote is the very reason I am me and who I am as a person. Who gives a damn about interviews being bilingual? So what? Everyone always seems to have to have something to cry about. I am so glad that I'm a 100% happy person and do not let things get to me like they seem to do to everyone else. Especially things that have nothing to do with me.

I'll never understand why people can't just live their own lives.

Vteckidd
07-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Idiots will be idiots?

While it doesnt really bother me that they do spanish interviews, at the same time, if we keep CONSTANTLY promoting segregation, the country will keep becoming these cliques and keep dividing.

ive never understood that.

It used to be you took pride in your culture, but you assimilated into the country you were in. Thats not imperialist or anything. Ive lived in Europe , they dont cater to anyone else. If you dont know German youre kinda SOL.

Sinfix_15
07-17-2013, 06:22 AM
This is probably one of the few things I've seen you post that I agree with.

And this quote is the very reason I am me and who I am as a person. Who gives a damn about interviews being bilingual? So what? Everyone always seems to have to have something to cry about. I am so glad that I'm a 100% happy person and do not let things get to me like they seem to do to everyone else. Especially things that have nothing to do with me.

I'll never understand why people can't just live their own lives.

Because there's a lot of people working very hard to make sure that we cant.

quickdodge®
07-17-2013, 06:32 AM
at the same time, if we keep CONSTANTLY promoting segregation, the country will keep becoming these cliques and keep dividing.

Thing is, though, is that most of these interviews are broadcast outside the USA as well. There are news/sports channels from abroad that are on these; especially when the interviewee is from another country. So it's not solely for the people in the US that have not learned the English language.

Because there's a lot of people working very hard to make sure that we cant.

Those hard working people only succeed if you let them. I don't have a problem concentrating on me.

Vteckidd
07-17-2013, 08:57 AM
^^^ I get that no problem there.

I believe this thread is more aimed at the Spanish interviews for like a FLORIDA affiliate , etc

.blank cd
07-17-2013, 09:00 AM
It used to be you took pride in your culture, but you assimilated into the country you were in. Thats not imperialist or anything. Ive lived in Europe , they dont cater to anyone else. If you dont know German youre kinda SOL.

Most of these players have only been here a few years, and they come from poor places with poor education systems. Not like European nations that can learn English at a young age. I'm sure they know enough English to get around, but if you're not fluent, its easier to express complex thoughts in your native language and have someone translate it, rather than peck at it with broken English you wouldn't understand anyway. And like QD said, its broadcast in Spanish speaking countries too, so less time and money they have to spend translating it.

bu villain
07-17-2013, 04:56 PM
There's a difference between tact, delivery and laying down to kiss someone's feet. It's like raising your kids.....

The black community has had many a calm conversation.... and they still seem to think that it's ok to throw rocks when they dont get their way.

Ignoring the fact that you are not a father figure in the black community, your comparison to the black community to misbehaving children, and the characterization of the entire black community as rock throwing rioters, I still don't think your methods are effective at getting the change you want. Do you really think yelling at them and whooping their ass (metaphorically speaking of course) will incite change? If not, then why be agressive and beligerant about it at all? Does it just make you feel better?

While it doesnt really bother me that they do spanish interviews, at the same time, if we keep CONSTANTLY promoting segregation, the country will keep becoming these cliques and keep dividing.

ive never understood that.

While there are benefits to homogeneity in society, there are also benefits to diversity of culture and people. How much you prefer is a personal value though, not a universal one. The idea that culture anywhere is static is simply not true, not in Europe and especially not America. Immigrants in the past assimilated into American culture but they also changed it as well. It always has and always will be a two way street.

Sinfix_15
07-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Ignoring the fact that you are not a father figure in the black community, your comparison to the black community to misbehaving children, and the characterization of the entire black community as rock throwing rioters, I still don't think your methods are effective at getting the change you want. Do you really think yelling at them and whooping their ass (metaphorically speaking of course) will incite change? If not, then why be agressive and beligerant about it at all? Does it just make you feel better?

I'm not the "father figure" to the black community, but the justice system is.

BanginJimmy
07-17-2013, 06:02 PM
While there are benefits to homogeneity in society, there are also benefits to diversity of culture and people. How much you prefer is a personal value though, not a universal one. The idea that culture anywhere is static is simply not true, not in Europe and especially not America. Immigrants in the past assimilated into American culture but they also changed it as well. It always has and always will be a two way street.

You can assimilate into the country you live in without forgetting your own culture. Immigrants from Africa and Europe are VERY good at this and as a result they tend to flourish in this country.

bu villain
07-18-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm not the "father figure" to the black community, but the justice system is.

Don't change the topic. My questions are about you, not the justice system. So again I ask... Do you really think (you) yelling at them and whooping their ass (metaphorically speaking of course) will incite change? If not, then why be agressive and beligerant about it at all? Does it just make you feel better?

You can assimilate into the country you live in without forgetting your own culture. Immigrants from Africa and Europe are VERY good at this and as a result they tend to flourish in this country.

Yes, all that is true but I don't see why that means a private company can't choose to accomodate other languages or to a broader point, why we should be upset about people who choose not to assimilate as fully.

BanginJimmy
07-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Yes, all that is true but I don't see why that means a private company can't choose to accomodate other languages or to a broader point, why we should be upset about people who choose not to assimilate as fully.

I agree with you. Didnt bother me a bit to have the interviews in spanish then translated. If I was a celebrity in todays world of celebrity worship and celebrity envy, I would ONLY give interviews in the language I am most comfortable with. Drastically lowers the chances of a slip of the tongue resulting in someone getting needlessly offended.

bu villain
07-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Agreed. Supposedly one of our cultural values is freedom but that doesn't mean people will like what you do with it.

BanginJimmy
07-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Agreed. Supposedly one of our cultural values is freedom but that doesn't mean people will like what you do with it.

I missed where you said that people shouldnt be forced to assimilate fully, and I have to hedge a little on that one. I think english should be recognized as the official language of this country. With that, I think all official govt business and forms should be done in english. Outside of that though, people and businesses should be free to speak any language they want, where ever they want.

bu villain
07-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Sounds like we mostly agree. I think people should be free to assimilate to whatever level they choose. That doesn't mean we have to eliminate every barrier to not assimilating though. So I'm totally fine with English being the official language (and it is). However, I am also fine with adding other official languages if a large enough portion of our citizens prefer that language and I certainly don't see any need to impose language restrictions on anything outside of government. English is not a sacred language, it just happens to be the one most Americans speak.

Sinfix_15
07-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Don't change the topic. My questions are about you, not the justice system. So again I ask... Do you really think (you) yelling at them and whooping their ass (metaphorically speaking of course) will incite change? If not, then why be agressive and beligerant about it at all? Does it just make you feel better?

Changing them isnt even the goal anymore. People dont change unless they want to and nothing i could ever say would convince someone who doesnt want to change to change. My "goal" in acting the way i act in everyday life is simply "standing up to the bully". If you want my lunch money, you're going to have to take it. Ideally what i would prefer to happen is that everyone adopt the same mentality and in the face of opposition, those who are the problem will learn the error of their ways and decide to change for themselves.

bu villain
07-18-2013, 05:13 PM
How righteous of you to stand up to the bullying black race.

Sinfix_15
07-18-2013, 05:38 PM
How righteous of you to stand up to the bullying black race.

Indeed, but any bully. Right is right and wrong is wrong, if i felt black people were being oppressed, id stand with them and fight.