PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Vol.2

Sinfix_15
07-05-2013, 01:53 PM
So i went to the range today to do a little comparison test. The guns i took with me were a Springfield XDS .45acp, Smith & Wesson M&P shield 9mm and a Springfield 1911 A1 Range officer.

the S&W Shield is the gun i carry 99% of the time, mostly based on ergonomics. As ive said before "the best carry gun is one you actually carry". The Shield is so comfortable to wear and feels great in my hand. I specifically chose the 9mm over the .40 because of a theory that placement>caliber. A 9mm has less recoil and in theory, it *should* be easier place shots. A 9mm to the heart is better than a .45 to the shoulder. With my XDS, i chose the 45 because i figured it would be more of a BUG.

I'm a pretty steady shot, my shots always drift north/south, i rarely shoot off to the side. I shot 100+ rounds through each gun today. Results as follows. Next time i go i'll take pictures, but for now i am judging accuracy based on how many shots were outside of the center circle.

Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm - My accuracy with this gun @ 8 yards was about 55% with about 10% dead center shots. A few shots went stray enough to hit the human shaped target in the shoulder. The sight picture on this gun i would say it was 2nd place between the 3. The recoil was easily the least of the 3 guns. I dont feel the sight was true as i found myself doing a lot of experimenting with my aiming. It wasnt horrible, i'm confident i could hit center mass at close range, but it was frustrating me at the range.

Springfield XDS .45 - I shot this gun expecting it to be worse than the S&W and expecting the recoil to affect placement. The sight picture on this gun is excellent, it has the best sight picture of the 3 guns. I had no question that the sight was true. My accuracy @ 8 yards was about 80% with about 35% dead center. The recoil was a lot heavier than the S&W, even though Springfield claims their dual spring system reduces the recoil to that of a 9mm. That is not true, this gun kicks like a .45. The sight picture is so good that even with the recoil, it was a lot easier to place shots than with the S&W. I was pleasantly surprised with how good this gun is. I might look into also getting an XDS in 9mm... and i'm glad i didnt get the .40 S&W.

Springfield 1911 - This gun had the worst sight picture of the 3 guns. The recoil is surprisingly good. It's very friendly and very easy to place shots. I found myself having more trouble holding on to the sight picture than i did steadying the gun from recoil. Extremely accurate.... unbelievably accurate..... I was shooting the center of the target out with this gun. After doing my "test" i continued shooting this gun for another 100 or so rounds just for fun. Even with fatigue setting in, i was still accurate with this gun. Probably 95% inside center circle and the ones that were outside circle were close. I had no stray shots with this gun like i did with the 2 other guns. Probably 50% or more centers. I spent most of the day shooting through the hole in the center of the target with this gun.

I'm torn between the 3. Ergonomically, the S&W is my favorite gun. It is the easiest to carry and most comfortable with the least recoil. The accuracy is a bit troubling, especially for a 9mm.... granted, this could be based on me and how it fits in my hands, may not be fault of the gun. XDS was a pleasant surprise, i will probably start carrying this gun full time. It's not as comfortable as the S&W, but not far from it.

1911, unquestionably head and shoulders above either of these two inferior guns. The only fault is the size and comfort to carry. There's a reason these are the most popular handguns. No comparison. I'm confident with this gun even between 15-20 yards. With the S&W, i seriously doubt i would stand any realistic chance of placing a shot at 20 yards. Might get lucky with the XDS at 20 yards.

Before you ask, fuck Glocks.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1081/ro1911a1right.jpg
http://www.mazdas247.com/members/CitizenPro/Pistols/Springfield%20XDS.JPG
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/MP_Shield/images/gun_in_hand.png

Sinfix_15
07-05-2013, 02:10 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/Virtutis/002_zps16a3f391.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/Virtutis/media/002_zps16a3f391.jpg.html)

Another note of comparison between the 2 sub compacts is that the XDS has an ambidextrous mag release, which is a really nice feature. The S&W also has a manual safety on the slide, that's neutral depending on your view of safety features.

silversol
07-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Glocks are the shit! I would not mind picking up a 1911 for my collection. But as my daily carry its a glock.

Sinfix_15
07-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Glocks are the shit! I would not mind picking up a 1911 for my collection. But as my daily carry its a glock.

If you're willing to carry something as big a glock, might as well carry a 1911. 1911 >>>>>>>>>> Glock

RM3
07-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Nice review...M&P was my second choice before I got my XDs .45...but since I am left handed I got the XDs with the ambidextrous mag release...I was surprise too as how acurate the XDs is...@ 10 yds Its all dead center and at 15 I just got to adjust to the left and can get a few dead center but the most of them in the stomach of the silhouette...only took me about 15-20 rds to adjust my grip to it wish is not to bad coming from a 1911 beretta 9mm ....the only thing i need to work on is that i find myself looking for the safety...lol...

quickdodgeŽ
07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Springfield XDS .45 - I shot this gun expecting it to be worse than the S&W and expecting the recoil to effect placement.

Affect, sir.

BanginJimmy
07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
If you're willing to carry something as big a glock, might as well carry a 1911. 1911 >>>>>>>>>> Glock

Look at the gen 4 glocks. Its a slimmer profile than previous generations, even in the sub compacts. I carry a gen 3 glock 23 in the winter when I can adequately conceal it and wouldnt think of carrying anything else. In the summer I carry an LCP and considering picking up an LC9 and giving the wife the LCP.

Sinfix_15
07-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Nice review...M&P was my second choice before I got my XDs .45...but since I am left handed I got the XDs with the ambidextrous mag release...I was surprise too as how acurate the XDs is...@ 10 yds Its all dead center and at 15 I just got to adjust to the left and can get a few dead center but the most of them in the stomach of the silhouette...only took me about 15-20 rds to adjust my grip to it wish is not to bad coming from a 1911 beretta 9mm ....the only thing i need to work on is that i find myself looking for the safety...lol...

I'll review the S&W again when i change the sights, i'm gonna order a better sight for it and see if i cant get it right. I refuse to believe i shot as poorly as i did today with that gun. Either way, i think you made the right choice with the XDS, that gun is very good.

What made you ditch the 1911? just the size?

Sinfix_15
07-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Look at the gen 4 glocks. Its a slimmer profile than previous generations, even in the sub compacts. I carry a gen 3 glock 23 in the winter when I can adequately conceal it and wouldnt think of carrying anything else. In the summer I carry an LCP and considering picking up an LC9 and giving the wife the LCP.

I have a gen 3 glock 22, i am not particularly fond of it. I like the trigger, bout it. Id carry it hunting or out in the elements, not a gun i care about scratching up or getting dirty

Bacon
07-05-2013, 04:44 PM
My Glock is small and my daily carry. I love mine.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

RM3
07-05-2013, 05:22 PM
I'll review the S&W again when i change the sights, i'm gonna order a better sight for it and see if i cant get it right. I refuse to believe i shot as poorly as i did today with that gun. Either way, i think you made the right choice with the XDS, that gun is very good.

What made you ditch the 1911? just the size?
Yup...size...and so many years of shooting 9mm while in the military

Matt300ZXT
07-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air? Is it true that there's a point on a man's head where if you shoot it, it will blow up?

Echonova
07-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air?Yes, but the key is to tuck, roll and pop back up to successfully complete the maneuver.

Is it true that there's a point on a man's head where if you shoot it, it will blow up?Depends on how big of a bullet you use.

If you use a .22lr.... No

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll199/jmulloy/Firearms/22lr.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/jmulloy/media/Firearms/22lr.jpg.html)

But...

If you use a 16 inch (406 mm)/50-caliber Mark 7 naval gun... Yes

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/Cherokee_955/Family%20Photos/Norfolk%20Trip/DSC_8261.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Cherokee_955/media/Family%20Photos/Norfolk%20Trip/DSC_8261.jpg.html)

Matt300ZXT
07-05-2013, 09:25 PM
If it was a forward leap then I could tuck and roll out of it successfully, even while leaping over something. However, leaping sideways, I've never tried to land that and roll out of it, I don't know if you even can do a side breakfall and roll out of it... lol

Bacon
07-06-2013, 08:14 AM
I'd bet a Cheytac .408 would do that to someone's head.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

00CelicaGT
07-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I'd be carrying the XDs over the S&W, If I group better with a .45 over a 9mm ill take the .45 all day. If I need to use it I want the gun I'm most accurate with, NOT the one that feels better in my hand. Yes comfort is a key feature for a carry gun, but accuracy is more important in my opinion. In my personal opinion SpringField XD series have been the the most accurate handgun I've shot and its been that way for a lot of people I know who have transitioned from Glocks, S&W, Khar, Beretta, etc...

I own 5 different XD models (XD.40sc, XD.40 fullsize, XD9sc, XDM.9sc, and XDs.45) all but 1 are subcompacts, I could pick anyone of them up and stack a 3 shot groups at 10yrds in the diameter of a tennis ball. I carry my XD.40sc every day and switch between the XDM9sc and the XDs, my wife carries the XD9sc and the fullsize is what I carry when I'm in the woods hunting. Yes I know I have a problem but you can never have too many guns lol.

Sinfix try not to focus so much on aiming center mass it makes it harder to track where the last round went, I buy 1 standard silhouette target and draw a bunch of tennis ball size circles with about 6" of spacing in between each circle. This will give you a point of aim and a defined area to stay with in, fire one shot and see where it lands on paper make adjustments, shoot again see where it hits paper and make adjustments. Do this for 3 shots if the 2nd & 3rd hit where you want fire a 4th just to be sure where you previously aimed was not just luck so to speak lol. Promise this will make your accuracy better and will also help you make the necessary adjustments faster and you won't was as much ammo. Once you find out where your point of aim needs to be to the best accuracy this same drill will help you to pick up your target fast and help you shoot faster without losing accuracy.

I do this with any gun I buy, including scoped or Iron sight rifles. This was taught to me by my brother who is a US Marine sniper, and when you get me and him on a range together it becomes a game of Milimeters.

-EnVus-
07-06-2013, 10:35 PM
WTB I need a holster for my CCW.....

http://i43.tinypic.com/2it50xy.jpg

Sinfix_15
07-06-2013, 10:36 PM
I'd be carrying the XDs over the S&W, If I group better with a .45 over a 9mm ill take the .45 all day. If I need to use it I want the gun I'm most accurate with, NOT the one that feels better in my hand. Yes comfort is a key feature for a carry gun, but accuracy is more important in my opinion. In my personal opinion SpringField XD series have been the the most accurate handgun I've shot and its been that way for a lot of people I know who have transitioned from Glocks, S&W, Khar, Beretta, etc...

I own 5 different XD models (XD.40sc, XD.40 fullsize, XD9sc, XDM.9sc, and XDs.45) all but 1 are subcompacts, I could pick anyone of them up and stack a 3 shot groups at 10yrds in the diameter of a tennis ball. I carry my XD.40sc every day and switch between the XDM9sc and the XDs, my wife carries the XD9sc and the fullsize is what I carry when I'm in the woods hunting. Yes I know I have a problem but you can never have too many guns lol.

Sinfix try not to focus so much on aiming center mass it makes it harder to track where the last round went, I buy 1 standard silhouette target and draw a bunch of tennis ball size circles with about 6" of spacing in between each circle. This will give you a point of aim and a defined area to stay with in, fire one shot and see where it lands on paper make adjustments, shoot again see where it hits paper and make adjustments. Do this for 3 shots if the 2nd & 3rd hit where you want fire a 4th just to be sure where you previously aimed was not just luck so to speak lol. Promise this will make your accuracy better and will also help you make the necessary adjustments faster and you won't was as much ammo. Once you find out where your point of aim needs to be to the best accuracy this same drill will help you to pick up your target fast and help you shoot faster without losing accuracy.

I do this with any gun I buy, including scoped or Iron sight rifles. This was taught to me by my brother who is a US Marine sniper, and when you get me and him on a range together it becomes a game of Milimeters.

Amen to never having enough guns. I was also pretty impressed by the XDs, that's what i'm gonna carry for now. For the sake of comparing each gun, i used a bunch of targets so i could compare them afterwards. I did two rounds with each gun, firing in 1 second vs 3 seconds, then compared each at the end. When im just shooting to shoot, i do like you said with multiple circles and focus on hitting the spot im looking at vs hitting a target.

The XDS is the best subcompact i've shot so far. It had nothing on the 1911 though. If ammo wasnt so damned expensive, id spend a lot more time at the range.

00CelicaGT
07-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Amen to never having enough guns. I was also pretty impressed by the XDs, that's what i'm gonna carry for now. For the sake of comparing each gun, i used a bunch of targets so i could compare them afterwards. I did two rounds with each gun, firing in 1 second vs 3 seconds, then compared each at the end. When im just shooting to shoot, i do like you said with multiple circles and focus on hitting the spot im looking at vs hitting a target.

The XDS is the best subcompact i've shot so far. It had nothing on the 1911 though. If ammo wasnt so damned expensive, id spend a lot more time at the range.

Yeah that XDs is bad ass I love mine but Its a little slim for my liking but still accurate and still good to have, when I bought it it was and impulse buy lol. One of this "this gun is bad ass and feels good, looks good, what the hell ill take it" kind of purchases. I have a Remington 1911 8rnd mag and I love that thing, for $650 you can't beat it for an entry level 1911 and the thing is a nail driver with super smooth action.

I find it easier to acquire the target and make necessary adjustments when drawing the circles on the paper, it helps give you a reference point. After doing it for soo long I dnt even draw circles unless I'm shooting a new gun trying to find that "sweet spot" so to speak, so when I go shooting it is just a habit now to fire 3 shots at heart, head, neck, shoulders, hands, and etc... After I start filling up the paper I start trying to shoot off the corners off the paper, when I'm done it looks worse then Swiss cheese lol.

Luckily for me I bought ammo in bulk for all my guns (9mm, .40, .45, .22lr, 12g, .556, 30-30, 30-06, 7mm, 7.62x54) before the whole "gun scare" over 3k rnds of each and around 9k rnds of .556. I'm was a frequent shooter before but now I'm holding on to it till thing somewhat return to the way they were.

Sinfix_15
07-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah that XDs is bad ass I love mine but Its a little slim for my liking but still accurate and still good to have, when I bought it it was and impulse buy lol. One of this "this gun is bad ass and feels good, looks good, what the hell ill take it" kind of purchases. I have a Remington 1911 8rnd mag and I love that thing, for $650 you can't beat it for an entry level 1911 and the thing is a nail driver with super smooth action.

I find it easier to acquire the target and make necessary adjustments when drawing the circles on the paper, it helps give you a reference point. After doing it for soo long I dnt even draw circles unless I'm shooting a new gun trying to find that "sweet spot" so to speak, so when I go shooting it is just a habit now to fire 3 shots at heart, head, neck, shoulders, hands, and etc... After I start filling up the paper I start trying to shoot off the corners off the paper, when I'm done it looks worse then Swiss cheese lol.

Luckily for me I bought ammo in bulk for all my guns (9mm, .40, .45, .22lr, 12g, .556, 30-30, 30-06, 7mm, 7.62x54) before the whole "gun scare" over 3k rnds of each and around 9k rnds of .556. I'm was a frequent shooter before but now I'm holding on to it till thing somewhat return to the way they were.

So we're all meeting at your house when the Zombies come.

00CelicaGT
07-07-2013, 12:57 PM
So we're all meeting at your house when the Zombies come.

Bring the food & beer, I got the guns and ammo:goodjob:

Sinfix_15
07-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Changed the sight on the M&P and shot pretty good grouping with it. I also went to the range with a friend of mine from work who had never shot a gun before, he preferred the M&P over the XDS and a glock22 .40

the M&P ergonomics are hard to beat. I know comfort and feeling are based on the hand holding it, but so far most people who hold the M&P all think it feels great.

Echonova
07-14-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm still a sucker for the old steel frame S&W auto's.

Something about them just feels right in my hand. But to each their own, I know it ain't everybody's cup 'o tea

00CelicaGT
07-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm still a sucker for the old steel frame S&W auto's.

Something about them just feels right in my hand. But to each their own, I know it ain't everybody's cup 'o tea

I love the old steel frame pistols, but they're too heavy for daily carry IMO

Changed the sight on the M&P and shot pretty good grouping with it. I also went to the range with a friend of mine from work who had never shot a gun before, he preferred the M&P over the XDS and a glock22 .40

the M&P ergonomics are hard to beat. I know comfort and feeling are based on the hand holding it, but so far most people who hold the M&P all think it feels great.

What sights did you go with?

Sinfix_15
07-15-2013, 08:47 PM
I love the old steel frame pistols, but they're too heavy for daily carry IMO

What sights did you go with?

ameriglo

00CelicaGT
07-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Fiber optic?

Sinfix_15
07-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Fiber optic?

yeah, it's the cheaper copy of the trijicon ones

BanginJimmy
08-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Not a concealed carry but I purchased myself a Kriss Vector this week. Shot it yesterday and I must say, that thing is sweet. Recoil is negligible and very easy to keep on target.

Now I need someplace outside so I can move out to about 50 yards.

Sinfix_15
08-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Not a concealed carry but I purchased myself a Kriss Vector this week. Shot it yesterday and I must say, that thing is sweet. Recoil is negligible and very easy to keep on target.

Now I need someplace outside so I can move out to about 50 yards.

got some pictures?

BanginJimmy
08-10-2013, 03:15 PM
got some pictures?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/11/u8e7e7uv.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2.

BanginJimmy
12-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Back from the dead.

So I purchased a Blackpoint Tactical kydex holster last week and it was delivered yesterday. They sent me the forest digital front instead of the urban digital I ordered. I call today and talked to them to get it straightened out. Guy gets my number so he can look into what happened. Called back within 5 minutes and tells me my new holster will be shipped out Friday or Monday. "Dont bother sending the wrong one back, you can keep it".

So nice to actually see customer service again. This is why I like dealing with small businesses when I can. Problems just seem to get fixed much more easily.

r_Senik
12-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Glock 27 everyday.

AFSil80
12-11-2013, 08:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/AFSil80/395911_2753300505545_1048624711_32919431_596066307 _n.jpg

Everywhere I go, it goes with me.

Dylan
12-14-2013, 09:58 PM
I love my S&W M&P .40c. It's such a comfortable gun, I carry it everywhere I go.

Bacon
12-25-2013, 02:29 PM
I will soon be adding more guns to my collection. For now, my G29 works great. Still want another XDm.

Echonova
01-04-2014, 07:42 PM
I just picked this up on eBay for super cheap....

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x249/Echonova1/holster_zpsf1185a2b.jpg

Sometimes loving old S&W's is a blessing. I could either use it for my gun, or next Halloween when I dress up as John McClane (Yes I know he had a Beretta 92F, bite me). Either way it's a win-win.

AFSil80
01-05-2014, 06:01 PM
I just picked this up on eBay for super cheap....

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x249/Echonova1/holster_zpsf1185a2b.jpg

Sometimes loving old S&W's is a blessing. I could either use it for my gun, or next Halloween when I dress up as John McClane (Yes I know he had a Beretta 92F, bite me). Either way it's a win-win.

Nice. I've got a sweet Italian leather (Vega) holster for my 92FS. Chest rig setup that my friend bought for himself when he was aircrew. Has a nice belt loop on the bottom of the holster to keep everything stable.