PDA

View Full Version : News article - " Man charged for firing warning shot at burglar "

Sinfix_15
05-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran in Oregon protects home with AR-15, faces criminal charges for firing warning shot (http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/05/30/veteran-in-oregon-protects-home-with-ar-15-faces-criminal-charges-for-firing-warning-shot/)

If you take anything away from this story....... shoot or dont shoot.... in the eyes of the law it's better to kill...*cough* stop a threat than it is to fire a warning shot. You always have to remember that the law is not your friend and filter anything you say to them.

"Someone was breaking into my home, in fear of my safety i shot at them but missed. Upon firing the shot, they surrendered"

bu villain
05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
If you own a gun, you need to take personal responsibility and learn the law regarding guns.

.blank cd
05-30-2013, 02:24 PM
If you own a gun, you need to take personal responsibility and learn the law regarding guns.

/thread.

Sinfix_15
05-30-2013, 02:36 PM

Too much of the law caters to the rights of the criminal.

bu villain
05-30-2013, 02:44 PM
This law isn't about catering to the criminal, it's about intentionally shooting a gun in a residential home when you don't feel threatened enough to actually shoot at the criminal. If the criminal is threatening your life, shoot that mother fucker in the face for all I care, but don't pop off randomly in hopes of scaring him. Whether you agree or disagree with the law, don't wait until you break it and then complain about the police enforcing it.

Sinfix_15
05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
This law isn't about catering to the criminal, it's about intentionally shooting a gun in a residential home when you don't feel threatened enough to actually shoot at the criminal. If the criminal is threatening your life, shoot that mother fucker in the face for all I care, but don't pop off randomly in hopes of scaring him. Whether you agree or disagree with the law, don't wait until you break it and then complain about the police enforcing it.

The law is too often a web designed to catch otherwise law abiding citizens who unknowingly break it. A warning shot should not be a violation of the law.

Doesnt effect me though, bullets are too expensive to fire warning shots and i value that single extra round of ammunition more than i do the life of anyone who breaks into my home or intends me harm.

bu villain
05-30-2013, 03:16 PM
The law is too often a web designed to catch otherwise law abiding citizens who unknowingly break it. A warning shot should not be a violation of the law.

That may be an unintended consequence but I honestly don't think it was "designed" for that purpose. The problem with legislation is that it can't possibly account for all the situations. In this case, the shooter was probably well trained how to fire a shot while taking into account ricochet or wall penetration but it's not necessarily something we want people doing everytime they wake up in the middle of the night because they "heard something".

Sinfix_15
05-30-2013, 03:23 PM
That may be an unintended consequence but I honestly don't think it was "designed" for that purpose. The problem with legislation is that it can't possibly account for all the situations. In this case, the shooter was probably well trained how to fire a shot while taking into account ricochet or wall penetration but it's not necessarily something we want people doing everytime they wake up in the middle of the night because they "heard something".

The "designed purpose" for many laws is buried in the details. If i fire a warning shot and hit the ground, causing no damage to anything but my lawn, i should not be charged.

If i fire a warning shot that goes through my neighbors window, then charge me with that. If my warning shot hits someone, charge me with that.....

You say the "law cant account for all situations".... you're right, so quit making laws based off assumed consequences. Based on the logic of this explanation, can i be charged for drawing a gun without shooting it? if i pulled my gun but didnt have to shoot it, maybe my life wasnt in danger right??? If the warning shot stopped the criminals actions, then it did it's job. You're "stopping a threat" not "killing someone" remember? Based on that police officer's explanation, any shot fired from a rifle would be a violation of the law. If i shoot someone at close range with my AR15, the bullet is most likely coming out the other side. Why not make having any target ammo in your handgun against the law too.... since the same thing could happen.... why not make shooting a burglar from less than 20 yards away a crime??

bu villain
05-30-2013, 04:10 PM
The "designed purpose" for many laws is buried in the details. If i fire a warning shot and hit the ground, causing no damage to anything but my lawn, i should not be charged.

If i fire a warning shot that goes through my neighbors window, then charge me with that. If my warning shot hits someone, charge me with that.....

I agree with you here but that's my libertarian streak. It's our opinion but it is not an absolute right vs wrong question. It is a personal preference toward liberty over safety. We don't get to dictate our value to everyone else.

You say the "law cant account for all situations".... you're right, so quit making laws based off assumed consequences. Based on the logic of this explanation, can i be charged for drawing a gun without shooting it? if i pulled my gun but didnt have to shoot it, maybe my life wasnt in danger right??? If the warning shot stopped the criminals actions, then it did it's job. You're "stopping a threat" not "killing someone" remember? Based on that police officer's explanation, any shot fired from a rifle would be a violation of the law. If i shoot someone at close range with my AR15, the bullet is most likely coming out the other side. Why not make having any target ammo in your handgun against the law too.... since the same thing could happen.... why not make shooting a burglar from less than 20 yards away a crime??

You bring up a good point which is that laws are always a compromise. At best, they are incentives to nudge behavior in certain directions. We will never have a set of laws everyone will agree on but most everyone believes laws as a whole are necessary. You being of a more libertarian mind, would prefer much less legislation as a general principle but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The more you dismiss others' opinions, the less receptive they will be to yours.

Sinfix_15
05-30-2013, 04:14 PM
I agree with you here but that's my libertarian streak. It's our opinion but it is not an absolute right vs wrong question. It is a personal preference toward liberty over safety. We don't get to dictate our value to everyone else.

You bring up a good point which is that laws are always a compromise. At best, they are incentives to nudge behavior in certain directions. We will never have a set of laws everyone will agree on but most everyone believes laws as a whole are necessary. You being of a more libertarian mind, would prefer much less legislation as a general principle but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The more you dismiss others' opinions, the less receptive they will be to yours.

Safety is snake oil...... and the government is constantly trying to trade it for our most valuable possession..... liberty.

bu villain
05-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Just keep in mind that statement not a fact, it is simply an opinion that is a reflection of your values but it doesn't correspond to everyone elses'.

Sinfix_15
05-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Just keep in mind that statement not a fact, it is simply an opinion that is a reflection of your values but it doesn't correspond to everyone elses'.

Comment means absolutely nothing to me..... the world is full of idiots, you adding their opinions/votes together and telling me they out number me holds little significance.

The government cannot provide you with safety, i feel a lot less safe hearing that people think they can.

-EnVus-
05-30-2013, 05:06 PM
He should have started up a chainsaw

BanginJimmy
06-01-2013, 03:57 PM
If any of you actual read the article, you would see the HUGE difference in stories. The article says the guy was trying to come in the back door. The LT said the guy was hiding in the back yard.

If the guy was hiding in the back yard, and not trying to come break in, Thompson absolutely deserves the charges, maybe even more.

.blank cd
06-01-2013, 04:03 PM
If any of you actual read the article, you would see the HUGE difference in stories. The article says the guy was trying to come in the back door. The LT said the guy was hiding in the back yard.

If the guy was hiding in the back yard, and not trying to come break in, Thompson absolutely deserves the charges, maybe even more.

You're gonna ruffle some pro gun feathers.

-EnVus-
06-01-2013, 04:33 PM
You're gonna ruffle some pro gun feathers.
Just saw an old episode of Cops last night where this was kinda similar deal. A man called police saying people are trying to break in. The police arrive and he is held up inside with a gun thinking that people are after him. Well police knock on his door and he fires through the door thinking it was robbers just 1 single shot. He gets arrested and charged with firing his weapon

Sinfix_15
06-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Just saw an old episode of Cops last night where this was kinda similar deal. A man called police saying people are trying to break in. The police arrive and he is held up inside with a gun thinking that people are after him. Well police knock on his door and he fires through the door thinking it was robbers just 1 single shot. He gets arrested and charged with firing his weapon

rightfully so.

Sinfix_15
06-01-2013, 06:30 PM

how are you deciding which story to believe, if the crook says he didnt try to break in and the home owner said he did.

If someone is hiding in my backyard, i am going to go speak to them.

BanginJimmy
06-01-2013, 11:16 PM
how are you deciding which story to believe, if the crook says he didnt try to break in and the home owner said he did.

If someone is hiding in my backyard, i am going to go speak to them.

You are an idiot and you obviously didnt read and or comprehend what I typed.

If someone is in your back yard and NOT threatening you or trying to break in and you shoot or shoot at him, you should be charged with several crimes. Self defense is just that, self defense. It is not a license to kill someone just cause you dont want them on your property.

-EnVus-
06-01-2013, 11:43 PM

If someone is in your back yard and NOT threatening you or trying to break in and you shoot or shoot at him, you should be charged with several crimes. Self defense is just that, self defense. It is not a license to kill someone just cause you dont want them on your property.
I do wonder though if the guy had done everything again except the gun had caps/blanks would it be a chargeable offense ?

BanginJimmy
06-02-2013, 12:22 AM
I do wonder though if the guy had done everything again except the gun had caps/blanks would it be a chargeable offense ?

possibly, but I dont know nearly enough law to really offer a real opinion.

Sinfix_15
06-02-2013, 01:49 AM

Ever jumping to conclusions....... i thought you had learned your lesson about this by now......

The stories given contradict each other, i am asking why you're choosing to believe the criminal?

Theoretical scenario.....

I look outside and see someone peeking in my window. Armed, as i have the right to be..... i walk outside and ask the person what theyre doing. Lets say the guy says "robbing you" or insert anything threatening for the sake of argument.... and walks towards me, i pull out my gun, lets say he says " you're not gonna shoot me pussy " and keeps walking towards me, i fire a shot at the ground, he stops and we wait for the police to come.

When the police arrive, i tell them the story, the guy says to the police " i was just walking by and this guy shot at me "... the guy in my yard was a fugitive on the run and had to climb a fence to get in my yard.

My question is, why do you not believe the home owner's testimony?

Sinfix_15
06-02-2013, 01:55 AM
i guess the moral of the story is to make sure there is no "other side of the story"

BanginJimmy
06-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Ever jumping to conclusions....... i thought you had learned your lesson about this by now......

The stories given contradict each other, i am asking why you're choosing to believe the criminal?

Theoretical scenario.....

I look outside and see someone peeking in my window. Armed, as i have the right to be..... i walk outside and ask the person what theyre doing. Lets say the guy says "robbing you" or insert anything threatening for the sake of argument.... and walks towards me, i pull out my gun, lets say he says " you're not gonna shoot me pussy " and keeps walking towards me, i fire a shot at the ground, he stops and we wait for the police to come.

When the police arrive, i tell them the story, the guy says to the police " i was just walking by and this guy shot at me "... the guy in my yard was a fugitive on the run and had to climb a fence to get in my yard.

My question is, why do you not believe the home owner's testimony?

Again, you fail at reading comprehension. I never mentioned believing one story or another.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sinfix_15
06-02-2013, 11:25 AM

The home owner said he was trying to break in, what reason do you have to not believe this testimony.

You then continue with this..... a continuation of you denying the home owner's story.

Really pointless comment.... "if someone is in your back yard and not threatening you or trying to break in...."

The home owner said he was trying to break in.

Tell me where your disbelief comes from please?

You know, because that is what happened in the story i posted. The police chose not to believe the testimony of the home owner, arrested him and confiscated his weapon. I want to know how those police, you, or anyone else decided that what he said was not true.

BanginJimmy
06-02-2013, 11:51 AM
The home owner said he was trying to break in, what reason do you have to not believe this testimony.

You then continue with this..... a continuation of you denying the home owner's story.

Really pointless comment.... "if someone is in your back yard and not threatening you or trying to break in...."

The home owner said he was trying to break in.

Tell me where your disbelief comes from please?

You know, because that is what happened in the story i posted. The police chose not to believe the testimony of the home owner, arrested him and confiscated his weapon. I want to know how those police, you, or anyone else decided that what he said was not true.

I still havent seen the homeowners story. Where does it say the guy was trying to break in? Where is the quote from Thompson saying the guy was in some way a threat, and not just some guy on his property?

Sinfix_15
06-02-2013, 12:02 PM
I still havent seen the homeowners story. Where does it say the guy was trying to break in? Where is the quote from Thompson saying the guy was in some way a threat, and not just some guy on his property?

Man Attempts to Stop Felon and Charged | KDRV (http://www.kdrv.com/man-attempts-to-stop-felon-with-firearm/)

He clearly said the guy was trying to come in his door.....

Sinfix_15
06-02-2013, 12:12 PM
My opinion.... if there's a "he said she said" , you go with the "he said" of the person who belongs on the property and not the person who doesnt. The guy had no business being in his yard, it's on him to prove why he was there and what he was doing....

BanginJimmy
06-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Man Attempts to Stop Felon and Charged | KDRV (http://www.kdrv.com/man-attempts-to-stop-felon-with-firearm/)

He clearly said the guy was trying to come in his door.....

A very different article says much different things. I am still not going to offer an opinion because the info I have is conflicting. I personally think that if you believe your life is being threatened, you dont fire a warning shot.

My opinion.... if there's a "he said she said" , you go with the "he said" of the person who belongs on the property and not the person who doesnt. The guy had no business being in his yard, it's on him to prove why he was there and what he was doing....

Great way to get locked up. My advise to you, learn the GA gun laws and their proper use.

Sinfix_15
06-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Great way to get locked up. My advise to you, learn the GA gun laws and their proper use.

My comment had no relation to gun use or gun laws. When police arrive on a scene and have two stories being told to them, one by the occupant of a home, another by a fugitive who is on their property, i feel inclined to believe the home owner. The police do not know what happened, yet they appear to believe the criminal's testimony that he wasnt doing anything wrong.

BanginJimmy
06-02-2013, 10:15 PM
My comment had no relation to gun use or gun laws. When police arrive on a scene and have two stories being told to them, one by the occupant of a home, another by a fugitive who is on their property, i feel inclined to believe the home owner. The police do not know what happened, yet they appear to believe the criminal's testimony that he wasnt doing anything wrong.

How do you know thats what happened? You posted 2 articles, neither of which tell much of what happened. The ONLY consistency in the 2 articles is the LT saying Thompson wasnt in danger at the time he shot.

Sinfix_15
06-02-2013, 10:52 PM
How do you know thats what happened? You posted 2 articles, neither of which tell much of what happened. The ONLY consistency in the 2 articles is the LT saying Thompson wasnt in danger at the time he shot.

I dont know what happened. How do they know if he was in danger or not? A criminal was in his yard and according to him, trying to enter his home, sounds like danger to me.

.blank cd
06-02-2013, 11:05 PM
If you're in actual danger, the only warning shot should enter the offenders flesh at some point. He wasnt in danger at all. He seems like one of those "2nd amendment thumpers" who happened to see an opportunity to back up all that "2nd righter" BS that gets slung around all over the Internet. He wanted to be an Obama hating pro gun conservative advocate, and look what happened? He got gut checked by reality. He got his gun taken away like a little baby back biatch. Part of me hopes they keep it from him.

Sinfix_15
06-02-2013, 11:09 PM
If you're in actual danger, the only warning shot should enter the offenders flesh at some point. He wasnt in danger at all. He seems like one of those "2nd amendment thumpers" who happened to see an opportunity to back up all that "2nd righter" BS that gets slung around all over the Internet. He wanted to be an Obama hating pro gun conservative advocate, and look what happened? He got gut checked by reality. He got his gun taken away like a little baby back biatch. Part of me hopes they keep it from him.

This line coming from someone who poses as an intelligent person. Not worthy of a legitimate response.

bu villain
06-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Comment means absolutely nothing to me..... the world is full of idiots, you adding their opinions/votes together and telling me they out number me holds little significance.

It seems your definition of idiot is anyone who has different values than you. You can saying other peoples opinions hold little significance to you but that doesn't stop them from affecting you. If you actually have any hope for things going in a different direction, you better start caring about other peoples opinions because crying on this forum isn't going to do it.

Sinfix_15
06-03-2013, 04:09 PM
It seems your definition of idiot is anyone who has different values than you. You can saying other peoples opinions hold little significance to you but that doesn't stop them from affecting you. If you actually have any hope for things going in a different direction, you better start caring about other peoples opinions because crying on this forum isn't going to do it.

You support other people's opinions being able to affect my life. You vote for the strengthening of mob rule. That's the democratic way.

I acknowledge the world is going to shit and there's nothing anyone can do about it. It's too late now, democrats have infected society to the point of no return. Entitlement society is spreading like a virus. My goal is to move as far away from entitlement society as i can and hope that i die before the US goes to complete shit.

BanginJimmy
06-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I dont know what happened. How do they know if he was in danger or not? A criminal was in his yard and according to him, trying to enter his home, sounds like danger to me.

I would imagine they asked what happened. Both articles are a little short on actual details.

bu villain
06-05-2013, 03:09 PM
You support other people's opinions being able to affect my life. You vote for the strengthening of mob rule. That's the democratic way.

In limited circumstances yes. This comes from a belief that other people's opinions will affect my life no matter what legislation is on the books.

I acknowledge the world is going to shit and there's nothing anyone can do about it. It's too late now, democrats have infected society to the point of no return. Entitlement society is spreading like a virus. My goal is to move as far away from entitlement society as i can and hope that i die before the US goes to complete shit.

Then why do you post incessantly about things which no one can do anything about? Is this forum just a place for you to vent your anger and frustration?

Sinfix_15
06-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Then why do you post incessantly about things which no one can do anything about? Is this forum just a place for you to vent your anger and frustration?

In the modern world, getting a topic to trend on twitter is the equivalent of marching on washington. Would you have said the same thing to MLK? "is this podium just a place for you to vent?"

also curious, why do you assume posting on this forum is my only course of action?

.blank cd
06-05-2013, 09:52 PM
In the modern world, getting a topic to trend on twitter is the equivalent of marching on washington. Would you have said the same thing to MLK? "is this podium just a place for you to vent?"

also curious, why do you assume posting on this forum is my only course of action?

There is a VAST difference between state-sponsored racism and you bitching about not getting your way. There is ZERO equivalence

Sinfix_15
06-06-2013, 06:41 AM
There is a VAST difference between state-sponsored racism and you bitching about not getting your way. There is ZERO equivalence

There is no difference..... "state sponsored racism".... in your words, how would you describe the DOJ, EPA, IRS targeting people for their religious and or political beliefs........

That isnt the "institutional racism" i always hear black nationalist talk about??... you know, how the black man cant be racist because he has no power over the white man.. yada yada yada horse shit.... news flash... the IRS, EPA, DOJ has power over everyone.....

Sounds like a perfect example to me.......

I am speaking out against the government abusing it's power to oppress the beliefs of those who oppose them. Martin Luther King would probably pat me on the back. Every american should be against this government's abuse of power.

.blank cd
06-06-2013, 08:59 AM
There is no difference..... "state sponsored racism".... in your words, how would you describe the DOJ, EPA, IRS targeting people for their religious and or political beliefs.....Targeting people for their religious or political beliefs by investigating their request for a free tax ride? Yes. That's exactly the same as being systematically jailed, hosed, and segregated because you have a different skin color.

I am speaking out against the government abusing it's power to oppress the beliefs of those who oppose them. Martin Luther King would probably pat me on the back. Every american should be against this government's abuse of power.

No. You'd get laughed at. It's not the same. It's not even in the same ballpark. Denying someone a tax exempt status is not the same as denying someone basic human rights. Not even close, sorry.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON who gets on a platform about how they shouldn't be paying taxes, and then requests a tax exempt status should be investigated to the fullest extent possible. I don't care if you claim to be conservative or liberal.

Why do you believe denying a tax exempt status suppresses your beliefs as a conservative? Can you still hold those beliefs without a tax exemption?

bu villain
06-06-2013, 03:20 PM

This isn't twitter. "Trending" on IA means 15 people will see your message, I fail to see the equivalency to marching on Washington. I would say the same thing to MLK if he posted about civil rights every single day on this forum and railroaded every conversation into a civil rights discussion.

I never assumed that because I don't care what you do outside of this forum. I come to this forum so I can discuss a variety of ideas with people with different views, preferably without personal attacks. This is a mostly dispassionate, intellectual exercise for me. Your incessant posting about the same topics and continuous personal insults makes it very difficult for me to get much out of it. Your voice is so pervasive and overbearing that it crowds everyone else out. I hope you feel you are getting something out of this because I feel more and more like this is a waste of my time. Which is unfortunate because I didn't use to feel that way before you became a regular poster even though there was plenty of disagreement going on.

Sinfix_15
06-06-2013, 04:57 PM
This isn't twitter. "Trending" on IA means 15 people will see your message, I fail to see the equivalency to marching on Washington. I would say the same thing to MLK if he posted about civil rights every single day on this forum and railroaded every conversation into a civil rights discussion.

I never assumed that because I don't care what you do outside of this forum. I come to this forum so I can discuss a variety of ideas with people with different views, preferably without personal attacks. This is a mostly dispassionate, intellectual exercise for me. Your incessant posting about the same topics and continuous personal insults makes it very difficult for me to get much out of it. Your voice is so pervasive and overbearing that it crowds everyone else out. I hope you feel you are getting something out of this because I feel more and more like this is a waste of my time. Which is unfortunate because I didn't use to feel that way before you became a regular poster even though there was plenty of disagreement going on.

I feel you. Talking to Obama supporters is like trying to show the sunset to a blind man..... frustration is what drives the need to keep "beating them over the head".... I've come to the point where i realize i am beating a dead horse. Nothing that could ever be said, no fact that could ever be uncovered, no news story, no data, no evidence.... will ever make an Obama supporter sway from their support. So it's a waste of time.

From this point forward, i retire from speaking on Obama related topics.

bu villain
06-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Just to clarify, I am not asking you to never post anything that is against Obama. I'm only asking that you don't bring Obama into every single thread. Also I'm asking to tone down the personal attacks. There is no need to call anyone an idiot or moron even if you think they are. It just gets in the way of having a reasonable discussion and will only make the "true believers" more defensive.

Sinfix_15
06-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Just to clarify, I am not asking you to never post anything that is against Obama. I'm only asking that you don't bring Obama into every single thread. Also I'm asking to tone down the personal attacks. There is no need to call anyone an idiot or moron even if you think they are. It just gets in the way of having a reasonable discussion and will only make the "true believers" more defensive.

This is why i'm just going to quit talking about it. At this point, every Obama supporter is a moron. There's nothing else to debate. If you support Obama, i think you're a moron. I cant comprehend anyone supporting this president. I think black people support the black president and dont give a shit about anything else, the rest of the Obama supporters just arent paying attention or either homosexuality and abortion being mainstream is their #1 priority. If you support Obamacare, you're a moron. If you support gun control, you're a moron. Every word that has come out of Obama's mouth is a lie, everything terrible that Bush did, Obama picked it right up, even though he campaigned on "hey, im black and im not george bush". It's not just this forum, its everyone in general.... i was out today and they were criticizing obama on tv for the latest scandal that is unfolding... im losing count... but anyways, and these black people were so furious about it and one black lady said " i dont know why everyone wont leave obama alone, dont they know he's half white, his mom was white..."....

You can say whatever you want to say, i live this shit every day, i witness black racism on a daily basis... i witness fucking brain dead stupid fucking Obama supporters everyday.... if you support Obama, you're an idiot. Every Obama supporter ive met in person is an idiot.... Blankcd is one of the most delusional idiots ive ever spoken to.

It is what it is, i have nothing else to say on the subject. I'm not commenting on anything else Obama related, fuck him... i hope he gets impeached, he's the worst president in the history of the united states.

.blank cd
06-07-2013, 08:47 AM
That's your opinion. and you're entitled to it.