PDA

View Full Version : Turbo rebuild recommendations

98_integra_r
05-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I have a 2004 WRX STI with out 123,000 miles on it that I purchased about two months ago. The only mod to the vehicle is a HKS High Power catback exhaust. The car is smoking at idle when it warms up. I had originally thought to replace the PCV valve but that has proven to be more difficult than I had originally thought. While pulling the intercooler I noticed oil both in the intercooler and the turbo. This leads me to believe that the seals in the turbo may have gone bad. I am looking for any advice on my issue as well as recommendations for someone to rebuild the turbo.

I also just had the valve cover gaskets and oil cooler seal replaced.

EmminoDaGreat
05-08-2013, 02:34 AM
I can rebuild it, however sometimes it's cheaper to pick up another Sti turbo

Sil'vr-Boi6
05-08-2013, 07:16 AM
I don't have wrx, but I experienced similar scenerio like you're experiencing. Are you getting smoke underneath the hood or exhaust outback? When my turbo began showing signs of failure; it smoked from my exhaust out back. I would think smoke underneath the hood could be worn gaskets from the turbo or something else. I would rebuild the CHRA before it completely become useless from a local shop. GL

Doppelgänger
05-08-2013, 07:42 AM
I'd highly recommend Turbo Diesel & Electric in Forest Park- Turbo Diesel (http://www.tdesystems.com/) I've dealt with them a number of times and have been really happy. IIRC it was "JB" there who I talked to.

98_integra_r
05-08-2013, 07:53 AM
I don't have wrx, but I experienced similar scenerio like you're experiencing. Are you getting smoke underneath the hood or exhaust outback? When my turbo began showing signs of failure; it smoked from my exhaust out back. I would think smoke underneath the hood could be worn gaskets from the turbo or something else. I would rebuild the CHRA before it completely become useless from a local shop. GL

The smoke was coming from the exhaust.

98_integra_r
05-08-2013, 07:55 AM
I'd highly recommend Turbo Diesel & Electric in Forest Park- Turbo Diesel (http://www.tdesystems.com/) I've dealt with them a number of times and have been really happy. IIRC it was "JB" there who I talked to.

Thanks for the info. They are being recommended by a lot of people on other foums.

Doppelgänger
05-08-2013, 08:12 AM
No problem. By the way, it's JD..not JB. oops.

Sil'vr-Boi6
05-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Does Turbo Diesel & Electic machine compressor housing and hotside housings?

RandomGuy
05-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Does Turbo Diesel & Electic machine compressor housing and hotside housings?

yes