PDA

View Full Version : When a million isnt enough...

.blank cd
05-02-2013, 11:55 AM
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/140070/when-a-million-isnt-enough-why-top-bankers-are-struggling-to-get-by/

WhiteAccord
05-02-2013, 12:20 PM
I could write the same story with replacing the terms bankers to government and it would still all be true.

.blank cd
05-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Or athlete, doctor, actor, singer, etc.

Sinfix_15
05-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Its not the point of what is and isnt enough..... the point is that the government is not to decide.

.blank cd
05-02-2013, 01:13 PM
When its in the governments interest to decide, like the case when they bailed out GM...Yeah....they have a right to decide. Lol.

Sinfix_15
05-02-2013, 01:20 PM
When its in the governments interest to decide, like the case when they bailed out GM...Yeah....they have a right to decide. Lol.

They shouldnt have bailed out GM and no, it's none of their business.

.blank cd
05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
They shouldnt have bailed out GM and no, it's none of their business.

So it's no business of the owner of a company (or in this case, majority shareholder) to decide what it pays its execs who are obviously doing a terrible job?

LMAO

I'm just saying, if I did a shitty job, the owner of my company has every right to decide how much I make. But that's just me. Lol.

Tell me more. Why do you think this?

Vteckidd
05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Tax is an issue in the U.S. too. “After tax, your million dollars will be around $600k,” said Goldstein. “Out of that, you get people trying to pay the mortgages on, and maintain houses, in the Hamptons and Manhattan, to put three children through private schools costing $40k a year each, and to pay living costs.”

This was my favorite point made. A millionaire living in Up State NY is not the same as being a millionaire in Montana.

I always love how the poor people try to tell top earners they have too much, but get pissed when the top earners tell the poor people "you can be like me too if you work for it". Its such a crappy argument to make its not even worth debating.

I know people bad with money that make $100k a year, and i know people bad with money that make $20k a year. It makes no difference.

Vteckidd
05-02-2013, 01:31 PM
So it's no business of the owner of a company (or in this case, majority shareholder) to decide what it pays its execs who are obviously doing a terrible job?

LMAO

I'm just saying, if I did a shitty job, the owner of my company has every right to decide how much I make. But that's just me. Lol.

I agree with the point that a company that needs to get bailed out shouldnt be paying out 4 million dollar bonuses while laying workers off

.blank cd
05-02-2013, 01:33 PM
There are people who are bad with money at both ends of the spectrum. This article deals with those individuals on the high end of that spectrum.

.blank cd
05-02-2013, 01:45 PM
This was my favorite point made. A millionaire living in Up State NY is not the same as being a millionaire in Montana.
Hamptons, Montana, Arkansas, Manhattan, it doesn't matter. If you can't afford to maintain your expenses on the salary you make, you're living beyond your means.

bu villain
05-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Ah the wheaton scale. It's funny how "normal" people read this and think it's ridiculous these people feel stretched at 1 mil/yr. Then in the next breath will complain about how hard their $50k/yr life is when most of the world lives on about a dollar/day. It sucks people have such a hard time fathoming anything outside their own narrow perspectives.

.blank cd
05-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Was someone complaining about a 50k a year life?

bu villain
05-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Not in this thread, I am speaking generally. Even minimum wage earners in America have it so much better than most of the rest of the world.

1civic
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4npgiHB2z1r5zuiho1_400.jpg

Vteckidd
05-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Hamptons, Montana, Arkansas, Manhattan, it doesn't matter. If you can't afford to maintain your expenses on the salary you make, you're living beyond your means.

ok, so if you feel its ok to take money from those at the top end, why cant we do it to the people at the bottom end?

I mean, based upon some of your previous statements and arguments, I assume you are posting this as a "omg look at the millionaires who cry that a million isnt enough" in an attempt to justify them making less money.......

amiright?

Vteckidd
05-02-2013, 03:44 PM
The issue we have is that top talent requires top pay. The CEO of a major billion dollar company isnt doing it for $60k a year. He gets paid based upon what the market dictates his job pays. SO....................

then we have the guys who get paid 40 million bonus when their company goes bankrupt..............

I dont want to get in the business of telling people what they can and cant get paid, but I dont think its fair for a CEO to parachute out with millions while the company goes down in flames. I mean look at John Corzine.............

Vteckidd
05-02-2013, 03:47 PM
I know guys who make $70,000 a year with no car payment, no assets, no mortgage, etc who live paycheck to paycheck. I also know guys who make $30k a year(or less) who live extremely comfortably because they budget the shit out of their money. I know guys who make $100k a year and will be retired by the time they are 45.

People make smart and dumb decisions, this isnt news to me

bu villain
05-02-2013, 03:48 PM
From his quote, I think blank is simply saying that making a lot of money doesn't mean you don't have to manage it responsibly. In other words, your lifestyle can get out of control no matter how much you make.

Vteckidd
05-02-2013, 04:20 PM
well then like i said, thats kind of a DUUUUHHHHH article then :P

.blank cd
05-02-2013, 04:35 PM
ok, so if you feel its ok to take money from those at the top end, why cant we do it to the people at the bottom end?

I mean, based upon some of your previous statements and arguments, I assume you are posting this as a "omg look at the millionaires who cry that a million isnt enough" in an attempt to justify them making less money.......

amiright?

What do you mean "take money"?

Vteckidd
05-02-2013, 06:13 PM
What do you mean "take money"?

Based upon previous discussions you are all for limiting salaries for people you feel make too much, mainly through govt action aka taxation

.blank cd
05-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Based upon previous discussions you are all for limiting salaries for people you feel make too much, mainly through govt action aka taxation

You sure about that? Pretty sure increasing taxes on high earners /= limiting salary through taxation.

Vteckidd
05-02-2013, 06:41 PM
You sure about that? Pretty sure increasing taxes on high earners /= limiting salary through taxation.

Ok, then what is the point of that article? Merely pointing out that people make bad decisions with money?

Sinfix_15
05-03-2013, 02:57 AM

LMAO

The government should not be the majority shareholder of an auto company.