PDA

View Full Version : New Tax on Used Vehicles

BURRITO_mike
04-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Hope this is in the right spot...ive tried looking for a duplicate thread but didnt see anything. so sorry if there is, just delete this one.

Ga passed something (dontknowthepropername) that basically gets rid of the yearly ad velorem tax every year, and makes you pay a percentage the current market value on what ever vehicle you are registering after march 1 2013.

Ive been reading on this since i decided to sell my truck.. has anyone had to deal with this?
Main question is Do they actually tax the market value or what you paid for it?
And secondly how do they come up with said value they are taxing?

Hope thats not confusing.

D3UC3S
04-25-2013, 09:19 PM
6.5% of the cars assessed value according to the state of GA. I plan on buying cars pre 85 to avoid the whole damn thing.

-EnVus-
04-25-2013, 09:21 PM
They have a list with what they suggest retail and proper tax is sneeky bastards

BURRITO_mike
04-25-2013, 09:43 PM
I wonder how they come up with that list???

Hermin
04-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Their way of getting a value is RETARDED.

My friend bought a 04 TSX w/ 107k miles with Navi for $9500, registered it paid $580, valued at $8000, bought it last week. My friend bought a 04 TSX w/ 169k miles, no navi, for $5k. Registered it for $539, bought it 2 days ago. Valued at $7950 exactly..

Car #1 is worth a couple thousand than the other..

MOWE
04-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Hope this is in the right spot...ive tried looking for a duplicate thread but didnt see anything. so sorry if there is, just delete this one.

Ga passed something (dontknowthepropername) that basically gets rid of the yearly ad velorem tax every year, and makes you pay a percentage the current market value on what ever vehicle you are registering after march 1 2013.

Ive been reading on this since i decided to sell my truck.. has anyone had to deal with this?
Main question is Do they actually tax the market value or what you paid for it?
And secondly how do they come up with said value they are taxing?

Hope thats not confusing.

If you search there are 2 threads on this.....all with in the past 90 days

BURRITO_mike
04-26-2013, 02:12 PM
If you search there are 2 threads on this.....all with in the past 90 days

What key words were you using because i still cant find them...not trying to start a pissing match but i tried to be thorough.

To avoid this exact situation.

Still cant seem to find a solid answer after i called the tag office. I guess ill just leave it be not like its going away.

Thanks for all the help IA.

5spdfrk
04-26-2013, 02:17 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/news-politics/335142-private-car-sale-tax-begin-march-1st.html

MOWE
04-26-2013, 02:31 PM
What key words were you using because i still cant find them...not trying to start a pissing match but i tried to be thorough.

To avoid this exact situation.

Still cant seem to find a solid answer after i called the tag office. I guess ill just leave it be not like its going away.

Thanks for all the help IA.

also look up my threads....the title said Ad Velorum...or someting like that.

0p7!mu5
04-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Guess its about to be a bitch buying a car this year and mind as well hold off on that bike I wanted..

BURRITO_mike
04-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Idk what im doing wrong?? But sorry either way, we all hate duplicates.

But yes Op7!mu5, it seems that way. At least im getting an old car so maybe it will work out for me.

When i get done ill be sure to post what I learn.

Stormhammer
04-27-2013, 12:12 AM
They have a list with what they suggest retail and proper tax is sneeky bastards

that list should become public record - so people know what they're getting into purchasing a used car

BURRITO_mike
05-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Well i ended up getting a car from a dealership. But they told me that Ga does go by a list that is "supposedly" updated every 30 days. The list is a compiled average from KBB NADA and the Black Book dealerships use. There was one more thing they used for the list but i cant remember what it was called.

I forgot to asked whether or not it is available to the public, so maybe someone can find out later on. Once my tag and title crap is ready ill go to the tax office and ask more questions for you guys. If you have something you wanna ask just post it and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

Hermin
05-03-2013, 02:43 AM
newtitletax.com is a calculator if you owned the car before 3/1/13 and it'll tell you exactly. they have a calculator for people buying cars now but its complete bs..

allmotoronly
05-07-2013, 09:35 AM
So fucking rediculous